S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 CR Club Racer Edition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-cr-club-racer-edition-279/)
-   -   CR Suspension vs 2004 OEM as a daily driver (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-cr-club-racer-edition-279/cr-suspension-vs-2004-oem-daily-driver-1189232/)

Thomas Guide 10-28-2018 03:47 AM

CR Suspension vs 2004 OEM as a daily driver

I'm looking at upgrading my suspension to the CR (shocks/springs/sway bars). I have an 2004 with 108k that has been my daily driver and only car for 14 years and it's all stock (2,500 miles on the track and 30k from a cross country road trip through many, many, many mountains).
It's time for a suspension and I've really wanted to upgrade to the CR but how much stiffer is it then an '04 suspension? Anyone here that has experience with both that can offer their experiences with the CR as a daily driver (or CR suspension on a daily driver).

I've searched the forum but did not find this exact answer.

thanks in advance

Chuck S 10-28-2018 06:38 AM

S2000 spring rates. More involved with springs than just how stiff (or not) they are. They set the handling of the car to a large extent. Also recall these suspensions are set for the OEM staggered tire arrangement and the CR has 10mm wider rear tires than on the other 17" wheels. Summary In Table 5 on Page 6 shows the seemingly wild variations in every biennial variation.

There are differences in the shock absorbers/"dampers" that may be hidden in the article.

-- Chuck

noodels 10-28-2018 01:46 PM

Cr also has aero, so accommodate that also into your upgrade

Thomas Guide 10-28-2018 07:20 PM

Hey guys thanks, I realized my question needs to be a tad more specific the way I asked my question. But first let me respond to @Chuck, I've been aware of James' white paper for some time and it's probably the most comprehensive study on the various S2k suspensions out there. Car Analogy has also pretty amazing Excel spreadsheet if you haven't gotten it. @noodels, I have an AP2 front lip and spoiler and run 225/45 fronts and 255/40 rears, and I'm not going with a full CR conversion, just the suspension.

Back to my question, since I'm acutely aware of the technical information provided above, I'm really trying to get some real world feedback from you owners familiar with an AP2 and CR suspension as a daily driver.

How much of a stiffer ride feel is it driving through the city on a daily basis?

adrs2k 10-29-2018 06:02 AM

I had an 04 before I got my CR. I daily drove both for a while. 04 suspension is FAR more comfortable for daily use. The CR feels more switched on, lively, and always ready to attack a corner. It is a lot stiffer especially when you add the swaybars. It is livable depending on the roads you drive and your tolerance for a rough ride.

TBH, going with Ohlins or KW would be a better use of your money and would give you a stiffer than CR suspension, yet it is more supple, comfortable, and adjustable.

alSpeed2k 10-29-2018 09:56 AM

^I totally agree with what adrs2k said! I have an '07 and a CR. I drove with the OEM suspension on my '07 for about 9 years, before switching to Ohlins. The Ohlins are so comfortable, yet also very capable. I've had my CR for one year, the suspension is great during spirited driving and on track, but if used as a daily, I find it very punishing to drive, especially on bad roads. This winter I'll be installing my Ohlins onto my CR, I can't wait!

twohoos 10-29-2018 11:37 AM

I have the CR suspension on my '00. It is *very* stiff, even moreso than the spring rates alone would suggest. Feels terrific on track, but if comfort's important, go with any of the base OE setups.

skafia 10-30-2018 03:48 PM

Out of all my cars, my wife *dreads* going in the CR. It is definitely the most uncomfortable Honda I've ever driven.

zenairdave 10-30-2018 04:56 PM

The CR suspension works for DD if you have decent roads. The car will feel more serious or angry if you will. So the question is, is that what you want? Other benefits are it takes luggage better for long trips and doesn't bottom out when pulling out of driveways. If you want a car that can go back and forth, get a set of 16" wheels for DD, and the 17's for all out traction. BTW, I think the CR stuff is a great way to tame the AP1 as well. Besides the 09 CR, I have ran them on an 03 and 01. I have also ran stock suspension on 02, 03, 04, 06. Did I miss any? Lol
as for the above CR aero comment, it has little effect until 100 mph which really isn't DD speed.

Thomas Guide 11-05-2018 02:28 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been pondering all of your responses and I've looked at where you all are from for commonality of driving terrain. I lived in Los Angeles and the S was my daily driver for 12 years there before moving to Phoenix. I also went on a road trip and ended up back to my home state of Michigan where the roads are awful. Los Angeles has its bad roads but a huge improvement over Michigan. The roads in Arizona are excellent compared to the other two.

So I see responses from Fountain Valley, Redondo, Ontario (Canada eh) and I can relate and compare to those areas and the consensus is the CR suspension is great, but not as a daily driver. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that honestly. I don't think I'm interested in an aftermarket setup as I don't want to spend time adjusting and trying to figure out the setup and I'm not sure if one is really improving the characteristics over OEM of the car by going with aftermarket or how they truly change the car based on how it interacts with the other components. One thing I keep reading about the Ohlins is you need a different type of spring to really bring it out... Maybe I'm overthinking all of this but I'm trying to introduce as few variables and keep the car OEM / stock as possible (hence my interest in the CR suspension vs aftermarket).

Any CR owners live in the Phoenix area care to take me for a spin around the block as a comparison in exchange for a 6 pack? :)