S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

CR/Swift Spec R to KW Clubsports

Old 08-29-2014, 06:33 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Default CR/Swift Spec R to KW Clubsports

Hey guys, I had this posted in my build thread but figured some people in the CR sub-forum might appreciate my review and have probably had the same thoughts about upgrading their CR suspension.

A little back story. I ran on the stock CR shocks and springs for 1.5 years before moving to the CR shocks and Swift Spec R springs which I then ran for 1.5 years. Lots and lots of input and my review can be found here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/933...spec-r-review/

I put about equal street/mountain/track miles on each setup before biting the bullet and upgrading again to a full coilover.

Suspension, the long road to picking a solution that worked for me! In some ways this was a few years in the making as I always planned on getting coilovers, but I wanted to fully enjoy the CR and its shocks before moving on.

Why change and buy a coilover? After 3.5 years of CR ownership I was ready for a “change”. I love the CR shocks and Swift Spec R springs. It has the perfect look, and feel. The car always feels tense and switched on so to speak. To me the CR always felt like someone walking around tense and flexing their muscles, ready to pounce and attack at any moment, NO Jekyll and Hyde here. Always purposeful and eager to be pushed hard which really gave the car its personality, and was something that I was always scared of losing if I got coilovers. The car always reminded you that it was all about being driven hard and fast.

The only true negative in my opinion was that sometimes, and I mean sometimes it would be nice to tone that down a little bit. Be a little smoother and more refined. Not be a bull in a china shop. There were times that I did a 1,000 mile road trip and by the end of it was ready to get the hell out of the car. There were times I drove the car to a friends for dinner and it was bumpy and choppy and just not fun. As I get older there are times I want refinement in my life. A coilover can really be the best of both worlds. Give you the more refined/sometimes softer ride. Also it can give you an even more aggressive and tense ride than stock. Being adjustable means having the ability to have a split personality. It is also true that while the Swift Spec R was a damn near perfect drop, once I went non-staggered I wanted to raise the car up slightly and change the ride height. To me, the car became too low to fully enjoy as I became worried about bottoming out, scraping, and ruining my fenders.

Moving to coilovers was not me necessarily wanting a car that was faster or more capable, it was a change in experience and the way the car achieved certain things and the way the car felt. I wanted better ride quality and a more refined ride when around town. Something more akin to a 911 or M3.

Yes of course I was only going to install a system that was better than what I already had…which to me meant spending north of $2,000 and a KW V3 was the first coilover that I truly felt offered anything better than my CR/Swift combo. The only problem was that to me, the KW V3 was not enough of a performance increase to justify the price so I started looking at the next level of systems.

My basic requirements were street comfort with a performance emphasis for track use. Good range of adjustment, ability to handle different spring rates, track proven, and reliable. Cost was also a consideration and I wanted to stay below $3,000. Over the past few years I have done my due diligence on research. I read reviews, watched videos, and asked a lot of questions. Special thanks to takchi, //steve\\, Sebring AP1, and some others! You guys always answered all of my questions and gave me as much information as possible to help me make my decision.

I am a geek at heart when it comes to suspension tuning and design. It is my favorite thing to modify on a car and I love tinkering and making adjustments to the suspension adjustments before driving my car. I am the type of person that will change shock settings for every type of drive I go on. I will also adjust the shock settings based on my mood and how I want my experience to be when I go for a drive. That means I will have multiple settings scratched down on a piece of paper and adjust accordingly based on the roads I will be driving over, and the purpose of my drive. Road trips equal more comfortable settings, around town something in the middle, or for a blast up into the canyons I will stiffen it up. Point is, I like adjustments, and I make them.

That right there should probably already explain why I choose KW Clubsports. They are Dual Adjustable. I have had multiple single adjustable setups on previous cars over the years, and while there is nothing wrong with them for most people, I always got to the point where I was unhappy. Single adjustable shocks adjust compression and rebound together, or alternatively some brands adjust strictly adjust rebound. In the past I have had single adjustables that had cross talk and adjusted compression and rebound simultaneously. I always got to a point with single adjustable that in order to get the rebound where I wanted it, the car was too harsh over bumps and the lack of compression adjustment left me wanting more. My first S2000 had Tein RS coilovers and I loved being able to independently adjust compression and rebound. I knew with the CR dual adjustable was the only way I would be happy…but I still did my research and considered a single adjustable coilover.

The suspension options that I considered were as follows:

Ohlins DFV which are single adjustable. Out of the box rates are 10K/8K. I REALLY REALLY tried to sell myself on the Ohlins to be perfectly honest. The name has one of the best reputations in the business; they were gold, shiny, and gorgeous. They were more blingy and overall just looked fancier than anything else out there. I had to ground myself a few times and remind myself that none of that really matters haha! From all the reviews they were extremely comfortable on the street and I expect they truly are amazing on the street. The only negative reviews I read were from some track junkies that found after a season of tracking the single adjustment was limiting them in what they could do and wanted to do with the car. That owner was going to sell the Ohlins and buy a more serious dual adjustable setup.

Ultimately I decided against the Ohlins for the fact that they were $2500 and still only single adjustable. Yes they claim they are singles, but really duals in a way, but I was not sold. I knew deep down I would be disappointed spending all that money and at the end of the day having a single adjustable setup. These are also not track proven. I have read every review out there and there are not enough people running these that have shown significant improvements due to the shocks alone. I also was not happy with the spring rates so I would have wanted new springs right away. I think for most people out there the Ohlins are amazing and one of the best systems available, but they were not for me. I was willing to sacrifice a small amount of street comfort for something better and more capable on track. My car is a street car, but I want it to excel and be very capable on track for the times that I do make it out there.

Penske 7500’s. Dual adjustable, fully custom spring rates and valving. The negatives to this setup were BIG…haha meaning the cost. I have some connections and was able to get a discount but these still were $1,000 more than my other options. I really struggled to justify the extra cost. If I was more serious about tracking and driving, and had the time to do more I think I would have looked harder at the Penske 7500’s, or maybe even stepped up to the 8300’s, but I ended up deciding these were just overkill for right now.

I did also briefly look at the Tein SRC and Eibach R2. Both were expensive and from what I have researched they are both very stiff and not as good of a mixed use system. My car is a street car, and occasional track car so dual purpose is important. These systems were too track focused and gave up too much comfort…not to mention being expensive and for the money I would have rather gone Penske or another big name brand.

Finally the KW Clubsports. I think I always knew in my mind that these were the right option for me. They are proven, reliable, solid, and just plain work. They are not as fancy as the Ohlins, and the name may not command the same respect as Penske or Ohlin, but they are still solid and widely used worldwide with a lot of success. They are plug and play and required the least amount of setup and modification. A drawback is they are not customizable (valving) but they can handle a lot of extra spring on the stock valving. The price point was good, and they were dual adjustable which were both big wins. These checked all of my boxes.

So far I am pleased with them. I am running the factory recommended 5 clicks from full stiff compression, and I am running slightly stiffer rebound settings than recommended. The car feels lighter on its feet and quicker to transition than the CR/Swift combo. The overall ride quality has also definitely improved. I have probably only driven 60 miles or so but I have already changed the settings 4 times and love being able to do so. I was able to notice a difference with each click which is a positive. I also still have plenty of adjustment to go which is a big pet peeve of mine. I can’t stand a coilover that, one you can’t notice a difference with each click, and two has to be run on full stiff. A coilover should be valved in a way that you have a broad usable range. So ideally on the street you are somewhere near the middle of the range. That means once on track there is plenty of adjustment to make the car stiffer, and the car has a good range of adjustment to suit different driving demands and road surfaces.

I did not buy these expecting a night and day difference and huge performance increase. I expected a change in feel, capability, and a slight bump in performance (that I as a driver have to make happen). These are not magic coilovers and are not necessarily better than my CR/Swift setup; they are just different and offer adjust-ability and a different feel. Time will tell if they were “worth it”. Right now I am happy, but not jumping up and down saying wow these are amazing and worth every penny. I think my expectations were in line and grounded to not have the placebo effect of adding a new part.

A big thanks to my friends over at CounterSpace Garage for selling me my KW V3 Clubsports and getting them to me quickly! I cannot recommend these guys enough for parts and advice.

CounterSpace Garage by Adrs2k, on Flickr
KW Clubsport by Adrs2k, on Flickr
KW Clubsport by Adrs2k, on Flickr

My first update is this.

Current ride height:
Front - 13.125" from wheel center to fender
Rear - 13.1875" from wheel center to fender

Current compression setting
Front and Rear - 5 clicks from full stiff

Current rebound setting
Front - 5 clicks from full stiff
Rear - 8 clicks from full stiff

At this ride height the car looks pretty level front to rear. Previously on the Swift Spec R springs the front of the car was noticeably lower than the rear. There was a lot of rake in that setup. The car now looks very even and there is not much visible rake.

The compression and rebound settings that I am currently running were selected after maybe 100 miles of around town driving. I have not had a chance to hit the canyons or the track yet. These setting preserve most of the feel that the CR/Swift combo had. Car feels tight and aggressive, but smoother and overall nicer (more comfortable). I hit some of the bumpier roads in my area, roads I usually don't drive the car down and its a lot better over bumps then the CR/Swift combo. I would definitely say the KW Clubsports provide better overall ride quality.

The biggest feel difference comes from the increased spring rate. The car reacts, sets, and transitions a lot quicker now. I did not feel as though the car previously had body roll, but now it really seems to have zero roll. Through the steering wheel that translates to a feeling of eagerness to change direction and the car just feels quicker and lighter when turning. I pitched the car into a couple of turns pretty hard in some open areas and the car feels very flat and just grips, or in some cases I just put the car into a little bit of a slide. Felt very predictable and controlled.

Car is going to SOS for alignment Friday morning, and then I have a big group drive on Saturday that will get me about 350 miles of seat time. There will be a good mix of hwy, mountain hwy, and back roads to drive. I will report back.

I will get the car on the rack, and see where the settings are. I am thinking of pulling a slight amount of camber out of the car. These Advan AD08R have such a stiff sidewall that I dont think they require -3 degrees of camber.

Updated Impressions
I had the car aligned at SOS last week. I pulled my 3mm spacers out of the rear and no longer have any rubbing!!

I had the front tabs on the fenders bent further out of the way as a precaution. Wade at SOS did an excellent job and there is actually a lot more clearance now and the fenders are still not rolled.

Since there was no rubbing and clearances all looked good I pretty much stuck with the same alignment as before. Only difference was -.1 less rear camber.

-3.1 front camber
0 toe
-2.9 rear camber
3/6" total rear toe in
6.5 degrees caster

The bad news, I drove over 300 miles this past weekend and the car settled almost a .25" so the car is much lower than I planned, but the good news is I had ZERO rubbing issues on the spirited drive even with a passenger and full trunk. My rear tires tuck slightly while rolling down the hwy .

I will be leaving my ride height and alignment as is until I can get some autocrossing and track time in, then make changes as needed. On the street the Advans are very stiff so I am not using all of the tire like I could with the RS3, but hopefully on track I can even out the wear and get some roll over to the edges.

My updated impressions, and again this does not reflect "performance". Only the feel of driving.

Car is damn comfortable!! I have said it before, but the ride quality is much improved. I no longer clench when hitting bumps like before. The car soaks up big bumps and road imperfections much better now and the car never loses composure. I forgot to mention earlier that I installed the RCA plates, so I do not know if having optimized the front suspension geometry made the cars turn in that much quicker and sharper. That is part of what the RCA plates do by putting the front suspension back into alignment after lowering, but damn the car feels so much better than before. Or the increased spring rate and coilovers changed the turn in feel. I do not really care because either way the car feels much sharper and lighter on its feet.

The other thing is because the cars turn in is sharper, the steering reacts quicker, and the suspension feels a lot more composed the car corners so much nicer now. Again, not saying faster. It just feels more effortless now. In other words before taking a sweeper at 80mph may have felt like a 8/10 on the scale of how fast it felt, and now its like a 6/10. The car just doesnt feel like it is working as hard to go as fast as it did before. The comfort level increased and it feels like less of a production to go fast. I had my wife with me and took some turns pretty fast (a lot of northern az has 75mph speed limits, so doing 85mph+ is not really speeding) and she never complained or got uncomfortable.

All in all I can say the price of the KW Clubsports was worth it to me. I got a much improved ride and the car feels like I always wanted it to feel. Now on to the Autocross on September 14th to really test it, and then hopefully a track day or two this fall/winter.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Awesome write up Adam! I can't wait to check them out this weekend.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

very nice. any pics of the car now with the leveled ride height? (really i just wana see your car again )

I too am looking into coilovers but i was thinking Pss9's. Great post on the coils.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Great write-up! As I enjoy the benefits of the CR/Swift combo for now, I look forward to using your review as a guideline on potential changes/upgrades to my suspension.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I think we all look for him to help guide us in the world of suspensions to some extent. We get to AutoX together soon so very interested to hear his opinion of the KW's on the track as well.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Feezy
Awesome write up Adam! I can't wait to check them out this weekend.
Thank you. I look forward to driving a stock CR as a back to back comparison.

Originally Posted by Memo6453
very nice. any pics of the car now with the leveled ride height? (really i just wana see your car again )

I too am looking into coilovers but i was thinking Pss9's. Great post on the coils.
I plan on getting some new photos this weekend

Can't go wrong with the PSS9's either.

Originally Posted by darkfalcon
Great write-up! As I enjoy the benefits of the CR/Swift combo for now, I look forward to using your review as a guideline on potential changes/upgrades to my suspension.
I am glad you enjoyed the write-up and find it useful! I really enjoyed my time with the CR/Swift combo, but always new I wanted more. I am still glad though that I took my time moving to coilovers as it gave me more time to enjoy my car in different phases.

Originally Posted by s2k4life_az
I think we all look for him to help guide us in the world of suspensions to some extent. We get to AutoX together soon so very interested to hear his opinion of the KW's on the track as well.
Thank you. Hopefully you get to drive my car soon and vice versa. I think I want to setup a little drive between a few of us so we can drive a stock CR, lightly modded CR, and then a heavier modded CR. It will be really fun and cool to compare the car's in their different states!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

In for updates!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:43 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great review Adam thanks, I too am looking forward to seeing pics. How your stance has changed.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great right up!

Being a geek and always tweaking your suspension, Tein SRC's with dual edfc's would been really fun. But I hear you reasons against tein. I too am stuck between Tein Src, kW v3/cs or DFV's. By the way have you had any other coilovers to compare the cs's with?
Old 08-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome review Adam! I will be using this as a baseline for choosing suspension once I get to that point!

Miller is having track days September 26-28, and October 17-18. It would be awesome to meet up there and test out this suspension .

Quick Reply: CR/Swift Spec R to KW Clubsports