S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Is the CR an underappreciated car?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the CR an underappreciated car?

I ask only because I feel like the majority doesn't know what the CR is. Our car doesn't have a *wow* factor like other exotic cars and because of this, I feel like our car is completely underappreciated. Am I just jaded, I live in So Cal (LA) where Ferrari's and Lambos are among the many I see. (Help put things into perspective for me!)
Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 PM

If you're putting it in the same light as an exotic, then you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Other than that, I do believe it's a limited car that doesn't get much attention. I think that's a given though.

however, In regards to auto cross, I've read they get A LOT of respect.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Just ask to compare a years maintenance expenses on either of those exotics with your yearly maintenance costs. You'll have a new appreciation of what a great car you own.
Besides you probably have a more enjoyable driving experience in LA traffic as well.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Just ask to compare a years maintenance expenses on either of those exotics with your yearly maintenance costs. You'll have a new appreciation of what a great car you own.
Besides you probably have a more enjoyable driving experience in LA traffic as well.
LOL
Old 05-31-2013, 02:19 PM

I think people overlook the CR is because it is made by Honda. If you put a Porsche, Lotus, or other high end car manufacture name on it. then eople would definitely notice it. Plus you can tell them you paid over $100,000 and they will believe you. I wonder if I should test this theory of mine
Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM

The CR to me is like the s2000 SI, or type R.

Yes I appreciated because I love the simplicity of the car.

But (1) its outdated and (2) it lack history or lineage.

(1) To put it into perspective, the first iphone was introduced in 2007. Technology and manufacturing evolved so much, yet the s2000 has been frozen in time.
(2) I don’t even think Honda appreciates how awesome the s2000 is. So how could the general public? If the s2000 is appreciated so much, why didn’t Honda come out with a successor? The MOST important thing, would be history or linage, you can’t just have a 1 hit wonder and expect people to appreciate it. An old 911, corvette, mustangs..etc. looks awesome, compared to their newer generations, because we can see the evolution and we can tie those old cars to the current cars on the road. It’s an awesome feeling, wish I can say the same about the s2000. Think “S600” when you read this.

So, until we see the next generation, the previous has little meaning. After all, it it’s up to the current generation to appreciate and honor their ancestors.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by turbo997

(1) To put it into perspective, the first iphone was introduced in 2007. Technology and manufacturing evolved so much, yet the s2000 has been frozen in time.
(2) I don’t even think Honda appreciates how awesome the s2000 is. So how could the general public? If the s2000 is appreciated so much, why didn’t Honda come out with a successor? The MOST important thing, would be history or linage, you can’t just have a 1 hit wonder and expect people to appreciate it. An old 911, corvette, mustangs..etc. looks awesome, compared to their newer generations, because we can see the evolution and we can tie those old cars to the current cars on the road. It’s an awesome feeling, wish I can say the same about the s2000. Think “S600” when you read this.

So, until we see the next generation, the previous has little meaning. After all, it it’s up to the current generation to appreciate and honor their ancestors.
That's an extremely good point. It makes me wonder *why* Honda stopped production (although I already know the answer, I think). For the reason above, do you think our cars will hold it's value?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're looking for appreciation from others, the S2000 is the wrong car--even the CR.

The CR garnishments certainly draw attention. To non-car people it's generally positive, but lacks meaning because they don't know much about cars. To most car people, the CR trim is gaudy(most have a hard time believing it's factory).

Honestly, the only real appreciation I have for this car is what it lets me do on the track and at autocross and how little attention it requires in these environments. I want most people to have low expectations of the car, it just makes it that much sweeter when I put up a better time.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by for_my_s2k
Originally Posted by turbo997' timestamp='1370038848' post='22579257

That's an extremely good point. It makes me wonder *why* Honda stopped production (although I already know the answer, I think). For the reason above, do you think our cars will hold it's value?

Sports cars made by a big manufacturer, in general have a slim profit margin for the manufacturers. So they need to sell a lot of it for them to justify developing a new one. That’s why some sports are nothing more than a brand trophy. Losing money on every unit they sell in an effort to promote their brand.

Perhaps, a trophy was the sole function of the S2000 through Honda's eyes.

But to answer your question about maintain value: Absolutely, Honda in general has great resale value. Add that with limited production CR and you have a great formula for value. But you might sacrifice not driving it every weekend, and keeping the miles as low as possible. Maybe under 3k miles a year? But, I don’t think it will hold its value as high as say, a Supra which in some cases appreciated.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

All that matters to me is that I & other CR owners appreciate the car. I kind of feel bad for car enthusiasts who has never driven a CR or S. As far as exotics, I don't see how you can compare cars that are worlds apart in cost.

Quick Reply: Is the CR an underappreciated car?