S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Cutting up my CR to add a roll bar, would I be crazy?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
ROI? Every time I put my car on the track I get a "return". Even if my car isn't a CR.
There is a big difference between a financial return on your investment and smile factor. You can easily find an S2000 with coil overs, seat and cage for well under what a CR is worth that will give you a smile. Unless you think your cr will have some provenance due to its racing legacy, it is a bad idea.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by silvio1522
It's your car!.....But, since you're asking. It's like buying the Mona Lisa because you need a canvas to paint on. Why not sell the CR for top dollar, being it is low mileage and a delete, and use the money to buy a clean AP2, pay for all your mods you may want to do and still have a few bucks left over. When it comes time to sell your AP2, you're not going to get someone lowballing you, because you butchered a collector car. Wish I could say, sell me your CR. GL

This is on point!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Roll bars bolt in, just like the tonneau and the factory bulk head bar. I suggest you go for it!
Old 04-17-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by V6 Donut
Roll bars bolt in, just like the tonneau and the factory bulk head bar. I suggest you go for it!
Bolt in cages are a joke and racing seats won’t fit unless you start ripping stuff out.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You will have to lightly trim your tonneau cover and cut into the back of the cubby to get everything in. The end product, though, can look very good.

I'm sorry, I didn't get any fully complete photos.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:54 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I'd leave the CR alone and completely OEM. Enjoyment is there. Value is retained ('cuz either you or your widow will eventually sell it) and few of us car drive even our plebian "base" models to their limit of performance although we kid ourselves we can.

The CR was mis-named. It was never a competitive race(er) car. Perhaps the intent was to have races among the other CRs in the "club." But that was 10 years ago and the cars are quickly becoming collector cars by their rarity and unique styling. If I wanted to go racing I'd get a Miata or even a MGA . Lots of support for the first one and John Deere technology for the second for guys who like to take engines apart. But any racing activity is a money pit if you want to win or even be first or second losers (only one guy on the podium is a winner). Cars, motorcycles, even sailboats. Taking the car to the track for the simple enjoyment of driving you shouldn't do on the street is something else and you don't need a buggered race car that ain't really a race car do to this.

-- Chuck
Old 04-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts

I couldn't bring myself to ever do it to mine, so I sold it and track a cheap S that I would be ok walking away from if something bad happened.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

It's actually a simple decision. (Maybe not easy, but simple.)
1) Decide whether you're going to track the car regularly/seriously. That means anything from frequent "fun-oriented" track days, to competitive time trial series, to W2W racing.
2) If the answer to any of those is Yes, then do the safety mods, and do them properly. The few grand you lose by tearing up the interior will be saved 10 (or 100) times over the first time you have an incident and walk away, rather than being medivac'd out. Remember, you can drive as carefully as you want, but there are a lot of things that are out of your control: wheel hubs break, brakes fail, other drivers get red mist, and some tracks just don't have all the runoff area that they should. I once had a newly-installed rear wheel *valve stem* pop its seal at 1.3 lateral g's, and in an instant I was facing the guy behind me.

My advice: Enjoy your car - it's very special, it offers tons of driving fun plus camaraderie with like-minded owners, and frankly that's why you bought it. But, Safety First!... Resale value? Meh; like, 874th.

Last edited by twohoos; 04-24-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I wouldn't do it. I would buy base model and do with it as i please.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:49 PM

Tracked the CR at Buttonwillow for the first time (without roll bar) and managed a 2:01xx. I will admit there was a couple moments I wish I had extra added safety lol

Quick Reply: Cutting up my CR to add a roll bar, would I be crazy?