S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Cutting up my CR to add a roll bar, would I be crazy?

Old 03-07-2018, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting up my CR to add a roll bar, would I be crazy?

I'd like to add a roll bar in addition with a bucket seat and harnesses mainly for safety and to improve driver feel. I track my car a decent amount but find myself in pain (mainly back) after just a few sessions from having to brace myself in the oem seat. So my question is am I completely destroying the value of my 38k mile RYP delete by cutting notches in the wheel well for the backing plates? Did I buy the wrong car? Can I get away with a just a bucket and Oem 3 pt belts?

Last edited by CR295; 03-07-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I'd just start with a fixed racing seat and the standard 3 point to keep the value of your car. At the same time....it's meant to be enjoyed and if you're keeping it for a long time a roll bar isn't the worst idea in the world.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

It's your car!.....But, since you're asking. It's like buying the Mona Lisa because you need a canvas to paint on. Why not sell the CR for top dollar, being it is low mileage and a delete, and use the money to buy a clean AP2, pay for all your mods you may want to do and still have a few bucks left over. When it comes time to sell your AP2, you're not going to get someone lowballing you, because you butchered a collector car. Wish I could say, sell me your CR. GL
Old 03-12-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CR295
So my question is am I completely destroying the value of my 38k mile RYP delete by cutting notches in the wheel well for the backing plates? Did I buy the wrong car? Can I get away with a just a bucket and Oem 3 pt belts?
I won't sugar coat my answer. Yes, you will negatively affect the value of the car by doing said mods since it's irreversible. That kind of alteration (along with fender rolling) really affects the value of base models, on CR's it's just as bad if not worse. And yes, in my opinion, you're doing it to the wrong car.

That said, you paid for the car and the taxes, therefore it's your prerogative on what you would like to do. If you don't see yourself selling the car and there is a need for this type of roll bar, then have at it!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:40 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

You're not going to pass tech most places with a fixed back seat and stock belt.
I'd argue that a welded in roll bar is easier to hide evidence of than a bolt-in bar.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or we could work out a trade....

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/cars-sal...000-a-1178782/
Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

#trackthatshit
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by freq
#trackthatshit
Ill be at Streets of Willow this Sunday
Old 04-16-2018, 07:12 PM

Thumbs up

Here 's my 2 cents:
If you plan on doing competitive wheel to wheel racing, yes you should absolutely go that route. If you have a log book, maybe in 15-20 years it will qualify as a vintage race car which will increase its value compared to a standard trim CR.

If you are doing this to a track day car, I think it would be a bad decision because there will be no return on your investment.

If you are looking for a track day car, buy one. It's better to buy it already and proven, and you'll be paying pennies on the dollar.

As a side note, I recently bought Nordine's old CR race car, so yes I do enjoy a well prepped CR.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...3-cage-784463/
Old 04-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamak
If you are doing this to a track day car, I think it would be a bad decision because there will be no return on your investment.
ROI? Every time I put my car on the track I get a "return". Even if my car isn't a CR.

Quick Reply: Cutting up my CR to add a roll bar, would I be crazy?