S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

General consensus on 0W-30

Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BrutalDawg
So from what I gathered is that I'll just go with 10W-30.

I use 5w-30 unless I'm going to do something that I know the engine will be really hot for, then I use 10w-30, but either way, it really doesn't make too much difference what you use if the intervals are changed on time.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Dipstick just got a new engine installed about a week ago

F22C on a AP1. Gonna be even faster now

My data is free to anyone who wants it; PM me for copies of the UOAs. My samples range from oil changes with minimal hard driving, to samples in the summer at tracks with 80%+ WOT time in 110+ ambient.

A quality synthetic is plenty good, no matter what the temperature, if you're not FI.

The extra wear on the 2nd sample here is due to an increased redline of 8500. At 8400, wear dropped back to normal levels. I do tend to bounce off the limiter due to the nature of the tracks available to me in So-cal, and I'm guilty of seeing VTEC several times a day at a minimum. I specifically do not tell Blackstone about what is being done with the car to keep any bias out of their comments.

Virgin 300V for comparison.

How did you find a lab that could do this testing for you? I am in Germany now with my AP1 so not to worried about it. But when ever I get back to the USA with my CR I would like to have my oil tested. Is the price pretty significant?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everyday use is good for a synthetic 5W-30. If you're going to the track, either go with something robust like Psychoazn's special Motul 300V or go with a regular synthetic 10W-30. Under extreme consistent heat like in Singapore or the guys on the equator, 5W-40 is fine.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 34witt
How did you find a lab that could do this testing for you? I am in Germany now with my AP1 so not to worried about it. But when ever I get back to the USA with my CR I would like to have my oil tested. Is the price pretty significant?
www.blackstone-labs.com Their contact is on the bottom of the pictures

It's about 22 bucks per sample. 10 more for a TBN test.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 AM

I ask directly to amsoil as i live in cold winter and this what amsoil response to me:

Thank you for contacting us.

All of AMSOIL motor oils have phenomenal cold flow characteristics due to the use of highest quality synthetic base oils.

Cold weather performance between 0w, 5w & 10w30 Signature series are close. You can visit each of these product page, scroll to the bottom to see technical properties table & refer to "Pour Point".
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/o...hp?product=azo
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/o...hp?product=asl
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/o...hp?product=atm

Therefore, you can use AMSOIL ATM without worrying about winter performance (10W30 is the best recommendation for 2005 S2000).

Additionally, use AMSOIL Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter (EA15K20) for maximum engine protection.

AMSOIL ZRT & other high zinc oils may interfere with modern emission control equipment. If this is not a concern, you can try one of the following high performance oils RD30, ZRT or AMO
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/o...p?product=rd30
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/o...hp?product=zrt
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/o...hp?product=amo
Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

www.blackstone-labs.com Their contact is on the bottom of the pictures

It's about 22 bucks per sample. 10 more for a TBN test.

Mine is going there this year... I'll be curious to see what the report comes back with..

<--running OEM Honda synthetic blend 10w-30 and OEM oil filter.... I change my oil enough that I haven't found the need to go full synthetic (yet). It gets replaced after track days at the beginning of the year (March/April) and at the end of the year (September/October)
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM

Motul 300V.

I won't run anything else unless someone can provide me with evidence that there is something better.

Thanks for posting your UOAs... I'm thinking of trying out Motul 300V 5w30 or Redline 10w30, to step it up from Mobil 1 10w30. Spirited street driving, lots of AutoX (most weekends in good weather), and the occassional HPDE planned for this spring/summer. I also have a raised rev limit to 8500 and spend a lot of time banging off the rev limiter at AutoX. Did you look into Redline and opt to go with Motul instead? Just curious, I know you are happy with Motul just hoping to get more data to make a decision on what to try first - Redline seems easier to get via Amazon Prime, which is what is prompting my post

I'll start doing some UOAs with my next change to give something back to the forum, it's very useful to have yours posted on here
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

A lot of you guys are saying that you will use 5w30, but if its hot or you drive it hard you will use 10w30.
Those that say this, you don't understand the ratings, the only difference there is, is the oils weight at start up. At full operating temp, they will both be 30 weight.
AT start up, you want the thinnest possible oil to get it moving in the engine.
I use Castrol edge 0w30 year round
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Here is a good read. Start from the beginning
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/875...l/page__st__25
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

That was my understanding of oil as well. A 5w-30 acts the same as a 10w-30 once its heated up. The only major difference in the two oils is the viscosity at lower temperatures. From the reading I have done a 5w will cause less wear on an engine during cold start ups then a 10W.

I did an oil analysis of 10W-30 Valvoline Synthetic, I am now running 5w-30 Amsoil syn, and will do an oil analysis, then probably try a 10w-30 Amsoil syn and analyze that.

From Amsoil's site to show the difference between a 5w-30 and a 10w-30.

[attachment=33736il comparo.jpg]

*** Edit, I just did a little more research and what I was not taking into account earlier was the NOACK Volatility rating. Now I see why people are saying 10W-30 holds up better than 5W-30. As shown in the chart that I created and posted the lower the NOACK rating the better. SO 10W-30 is actually rated better and will hold up better. Here is an explanation on NOACK http://www.technilube.com/faqs_info/noack.php

This all makes sense now to me. One of the things observed on my Blackstone report with Valvoline 10W-30 Synpower was the lose of viscosity. The oil viscosity dropped off which means that after prolong heat/use the oil lost its performance. When I compared the above chart to the numbers from Valvoline I can see why. The Valvoline NOACK number is 9.6% which is actually pretty high and I believe that is what my oil analysis showed.***
Attached Thumbnails General consensus on 0W-30-oil-comparo.jpg  

Quick Reply: General consensus on 0W-30