S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Hardtop latch adjustment

Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
The strikers ARE the issue... they have notch marks where the latch latches on... I fill in the gap with a liner now anytime I put the top on.

Did you notice any rattles driving my car?
I edited my post I had them backwards Very few rattles
Old 07-22-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Ira, yes that I what I have found. I tried many things with the latches themselves to no avail. I also tried different sequences of what lever or latch I tightened first, to no avail. I have used lots of foam insulation (window/door seals) on the latches, inside the latches, to no avail.

From the previous owner, I still have some cotton stuffed in the striker where the latch locates. The pointy tip part of the latch. It seems to take up some of the slack and prevent the metal point from rubbing too much on the metal of the striker.

From what I can tell, my strikers are still very tight. It is also less complicated and easier to adjust the rear latches, then to try to make sure your strikers are still tight like Mike posted up about.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Ira, yes that I what I have found. I tried many things with the latches themselves to no avail. I also tried different sequences of what lever or latch I tightened first, to no avail. I have used lots of foam insulation (window/door seals) on the latches, inside the latches, to no avail.

From the previous owner, I still have some cotton stuffed in the striker where the latch locates. The pointy tip part of the latch. It seems to take up some of the slack and prevent the metal point from rubbing too much on the metal of the striker.

From what I can tell, my strikers are still very tight. It is also less complicated and easier to adjust the rear latches, then to try to make sure your strikers are still tight like Mike posted up about.
I currently use bathtub liner from Home Depot. It's roughly 1mm thick, and is made of a very very durable vinyl. If its too thin, double it up. I cut a 5mmx20mm piece and put it on the striker where the latch latches on. If it squeaks, shin-etsu grease will eliminate the squeak.

The fix is permanent until the next time you take the top off
Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

I just lubed my windows seals this morning! HAHA. Top is soo quiet i dont want to take it off.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are there any shims on the front latches to make the latch tighter?
My rear's are adjusted to spec and my front latches are still not tight.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I did the electrical tape method around the latches to fix my side to side rattling, but that never quite fixed it 100%. This may be an expensive way to fix it, but you know what I did? I got new Hardtop latches. $180 shipped for both from Majestic. The "point" and the rubber gasket is new and there is ZERO side to side play, so no rattle. Now my hardtop strikers are also worn out and I haven't replaced those, but that's another option as well.

Now I don't know how quickly it will wear down and start rattling again, but so far I am happy with this.

And yes there should be 3 layers of shims under the hardtop latch. You can order more from Majestic.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by spets
At first I did the electrical tape method around the latches to fix my side to side rattling, but that never quite fixed it 100%. This may be an expensive way to fix it, but you know what I did? I got new Hardtop latches. $180 shipped for both from Majestic. The "point" and the rubber gasket is new and there is ZERO side to side play, so no rattle. Now my hardtop strikers are also worn out and I haven't replaced those, but that's another option as well.

Now I don't know how quickly it will wear down and start rattling again, but so far I am happy with this.

And yes there should be 3 layers of shims under the hardtop latch. You can order more from Majestic.
So removing a shim or two should make the hardtop tighter correct?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:49 PM

^^^ Duh, didnt read clearly. Need to add shims. Know the part # of these shims?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:19 AM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Quick Reply: Hardtop latch adjustment