S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Hardtop rattle

Old 04-04-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Originally Posted by iamxpL' timestamp='1458668989' post='23916252
I only did one thing to stop my rattles. I took a small plastic tube cut off little pieces and placed them over the spikes that go into the catchers on top. Quiet as a church in my cabin.
I know others have used a similar product, I believe it was very small diameter vacuum hose if I recall.

Hey, Biohazard! Nice to see you are still around.
Hi, I still see alot of my fellow s2k friends around Orlando. Plenty of love for my former CR and the S2k in general even though I an tracking the M3 now. Hope all is well!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Originally Posted by iamxpL' timestamp='1458668989' post='23916252
I only did one thing to stop my rattles. I took a small plastic tube cut off little pieces and placed them over the spikes that go into the catchers on top. Quiet as a church in my cabin.
I know others have used a similar product, I believe it was very small diameter vacuum hose if I recall.

Hey, Biohazard! Nice to see you are still around.
indeed, its the same clear hose diameter i use on my brake caliper bleeder.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 PM

zeroptzero posted a good picture although he only placed the foam on the front of the clip, I put foam in the entire area there. Any foam should work, I think I just used some from a package that I recieved at some point. You could go buy some weatherstripping from your hardwarre store as a good alternative.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CR EH
zeroptzero posted a good picture although he only placed the foam on the front of the clip, I put foam in the entire area there. Any foam should work, I think I just used some from a package that I recieved at some point. You could go buy some weatherstripping from your hardwarre store as a good alternative.
is that latch in his picture same as stock?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Originally Posted by qBIRD
Originally Posted by CR EH
is that latch in his picture same as stock?
Yes the Mugen tops use the OEM Honda hardtop latches.

The foam I used came from one of those tire gel applicator sponges, I just cut it up into a chunk thick enough to maintain pressure on the two parts of the latch clamshell, so they can't rattle upon themselves. Immediate resolution to latch rattle issues on my hardtop.

This suggestion is if you have latch rattle noise. If your hardtop is rattling then you need to do a proper adjustment as per the Honda shop manual procedure. You can also tighten the tension by removing shims from under the latches (the OEM latches come with 3 shims under each latch), and/or adding washers under the striker plates. It often takes a combination of items to get all of the rattles to disappear, it can be done it just takes some work/adjustment.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by tqh1994
So my hardtop rattles like crazy and makes alot of noise and its starting to really bug me any tips to how this could be fixed? I tried different latches still makes noise. Thanks for any tips and advice!
Late reply, I know... But here was my $300 solution. So far, so good...
Old 04-27-2016, 01:53 PM

Another late reply here, but just wanted to say thanks to the responses above. I accepted rattling latches for two years, thinking a quiet ride is just a sacrifice to owning this car... until I realized I could simply shove foam in them. The rattling is gone! Not bad for no cost and 5 minutes of my time. I ended up using a soft foam that was used as packaging. Works great!
Old 05-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

I tore some pieces of a cocktail napkin and shoved them in. I keep dropping them when I take the top off so I started to store extra napkins in the center console.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky
I tore some pieces of a cocktail napkin and shoved them in. I keep dropping them when I take the top off so I started to store extra napkins in the center console.
LOL well damn I guess that's one way of fixing the problem
Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Lord knows what Mocky can fix with a paper cocktail umbrella.

Quick Reply: Hardtop rattle