S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Installing a roll bar in the CR

Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Community Organizer

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts
Default Installing a roll bar in the CR

I have been thinking about this for a while now, but what are people's thoughts about installing a roll bar and how it will impact the future value of a CR.

Here on the east coast we need a rollar bar to run on any of the really fun tracks like VIR etc. I really want to install my roll bar so I can run those tracks and use a HANs etc.

On the other hand to install it properly you need to remove the rear trim including tonneau cover, drill some holes and cut a rectangular hole on the inside of the rear wheel well. I could put it back to stock, if I wanted to sell it, but those holes would still be there.

Alternatively billman has installed his in a way, that doesn't require you to cut the inside wheel wheel, so that would be much better but you would still have some holes.

I don't plan to keep this car forever as a collectors item, but I don't want to majorly devalue a somewhat rare car.

Any one have any thoughts on this?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been considering doing the same thing. I was looking at the resale of other factory club racers, most notably the 964 RS America and the 968 Club Sport. In instances were these machines have come up for sale the inclusion of a roll bar hasn't hurt resale any more than constant track use would in comparison to a garage queen.

I feel that as long as your machine is maintained to the highest standards it will always have good resale unless damaged to the point of altering the driving experience. Once you commit to drive your CR as intended by the designer (and by not doing so would be a crime), you're also committing to a certain level of depreciation. But truthfully, in 30-years a very well maintained track car will hold value quite well, especially with a great service history.

(EDIT) For reference. http://www.rsamerica.net/
Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

Thanks, that is an interesting perspective. I had not considered other factory racers.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

I have thought about this too. Out west roll bars are not required for track days, but if I get more serious about tracking it would be good to have the safety of a bar and a proper seat/harness.

I think the CR has two different appeals to different people. On one side of the fence are collectors and garage queens, and the other side are people who use and drive their cars. Nothing wrong with either side!!! The people that are tracking their cars obviously dont care about their car being 100% immaculate and garage queen status and therefore if they sell their car it would be to a different type of buyer. I do believe these two types of cars have a slightly different market with the garage queen cars being worth a bit more than a "used" CR. I think if the roll bar is done properly, and all original parts are kept and not sold or thrown away the car will still hold a high value and be worth it to some people. I have seen a few CR's with roll bars sold on the forums. I think what it comes down to is if the car is done right, then the right buyer is out there.

I personally know that if I were to sell my car I would market it towards a certain demographic and it would sell easily. If you have a roll bar you just need to be realistic and know what the market is for your car. I think depending on the mileage, mods, and condition of your car you would probably lose a few thousand dollars from having a roll bar in it.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thepassionofthegoose
I've been considering doing the same thing. I was looking at the resale of other factory club racers, most notably the 964 RS America and the 968 Club Sport. In instances were these machines have come up for sale the inclusion of a roll bar hasn't hurt resale any more than constant track use would in comparison to a garage queen.

I feel that as long as your machine is maintained to the highest standards it will always have good resale unless damaged to the point of altering the driving experience. Once you commit to drive your CR as intended by the designer (and by not doing so would be a crime), you're also committing to a certain level of depreciation. But truthfully, in 30-years a very well maintained track car will hold value quite well, especially with a great service history.

(EDIT) For reference. http://www.rsamerica.net/
Looks like we have interest in a few of the same cars. The RS America is a pretty good comparo, but you can't really compare the 968 CS. First off, it wasn't available here in America. Second, most of the ones you see with a roll bar have the factory Matter cage--which is worth a fortune itself. The M030 968 was pretty dominant in B-Stock autocross in it's day, though, just as the CR is now.

In the case of the CR, I don't think think drilling holes in a track car will affect the resale value that much. I think carfax, maintenance, mechanical/cosmetic condition, and whether its been repainted will have more influence on resale value than the holes.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running with PCA First settlers this weekend at VIR and they said nothing to me about my CR. We have a hard top so I am o.k. to run. NASA says the same thing at Road Atlanta. It just might be the chapter you are running with giving you a hard time
Old 05-15-2013, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say it will probably hurt resale. Potential buyers will not buy a CR to take to the track. They can buy a regular s2k & cut it up as they please. The value of a limited production car like the CR comes if it's 100% stock. Just IMO.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been seriously thinking about doing this just so I don't need to cut into the tonneau cover to get harnesses installed...

Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I think if you don't really hack up any of the interior it wouldn't hurt it much if any. Also leave the tonneau alone or buy the replica from VIS and hack that up instead of your oem one.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by takchi
I've been seriously thinking about doing this just so I don't need to cut into the tonneau cover to get harnesses installed...

Who's car is this? I'd like to know how much modifications was made to make that cover fit with the mugen roll bar.

Quick Reply: Installing a roll bar in the CR