S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Kelly Blue CR Valuation

Old 08-09-2011, 07:39 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

It's interesting that the '08 CR's are valued 3,000+ more than my '07 with significantly fewer miles. I guess the sheer number of base S's versus the rather limited number of CR's is coming into play, or is the fact that private party prices/dealer pricing is pushing values.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

^ MSRP of a CR w/ AC/audio was $3,000 (8.5%) more than the base car, so you'd expect residual values to roughly track that, with somewhat of a premium due to rarity. So 3000+ over an '07 (older model year) sounds about right to me.

Still, I tend to think KBB isn't the best source for current market value of a low-volume, out-of-production car, and especially not for the even-lower-volume trim of that car. As they say in the auction biz, an item is worth no more --and no less-- than someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys are forgetting a key point, values of cars are largely based on demographics! I've bought quite a few cars all on the east coast. Demand for sports cars over there no matter what people say are always going to be less than in the west coast, simple fact. You bring that same car to CA and it's value goes up assuming all factors are equal. Most people do not have the resources, time or knowledge to buy cars from far away so they shy away from it.

With that said, CR value is only what someone will pay for it. To some people it's worth big $$$ but others see it as an odd fact to pay more for a car without a soft top. I've heard both sides of the coin. Don't kid yourself, if you buy this car because you want the value to go up, you should try investing in something else, not cars.

I recently sold my IS-F when people kept telling me it was too high for my asking price. Reality is if you can wait for that one buyer, you will always get more money. However if you must sell by a certain time frame then you need to take a lower sale price, again a simple fact unless you got lucky.

Selling / buying luxury items such as cars is really a emotional purchase. No one "needs" an s2000 so people who are looking to buy one has their own reasons and criteria.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 AM

^^ Good points.

I'd never advocate this car as an investment. But I feel it makes a "potential" collector car in the not too distant future. Whether I reap the benefit of keeping them or selling them I'll let my heirs decide if I made a mistake. For now I enjoy them, maintain them and share them with others who appreciate fine cars.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by s4play
You guys are forgetting a key point, values of cars are largely based on demographics! I've bought quite a few cars all on the east coast. Demand for sports cars over there no matter what people say are always going to be less than in the west coast, simple fact. You bring that same car to CA and it's value goes up assuming all factors are equal. Most people do not have the resources, time or knowledge to buy cars from far away so they shy away from it.With that said, CR value is only what someone will pay for it. To some people it's worth big $$$ but others see it as an odd fact to pay more for a car without a soft top. I've heard both sides of the coin. Don't kid yourself, if you buy this car because you want the value to go up, you should try investing in something else, not cars.I recently sold my IS-F when people kept telling me it was too high for my asking price. Reality is if you can wait for that one buyer, you will always get more money. However if you must sell by a certain time frame then you need to take a lower sale price, again a simple fact unless you got lucky.Selling / buying luxury items such as cars is really a emotional purchase. No one "needs" an s2000 so people who are looking to buy one has their own reasons and criteria.
Regarding the east versus west coast car values. Excluding collector cars, the main reason you see the bias is due to the climate of the two regions. Rust belt versus dry climate, all things being equal. I've seen the same bias north to south as well.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Car value is based on a few key points including location, market value, personal market value, exclusiveness, car's reputation, and what people hype the car up to be. The CR is definitely much more desired on the West Coast than it is in the East Coast. The market value is so far decent. Personal market value bumps up the price. Only about 700 CRs were made in the world so it is exclusive! The car's reputation has actually grown since its debut in 2007. People continue to hype this car up more and more. The value of this car is going to stay relatively flat with a very slow downward slope for depreciation no matter how many miles you put on this car (as long as it doesn't have 300k by 2012 aka psychoazn).
Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much do I add top of it's value based on KBB if It is a GPW?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Less I imagine, nobody wants a color reserved for appliances Seriously since KBB makes no allowance for colors you can ask whatever you feel it's worth.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by takchi
Car value is based on a few key points including location, market value, personal market value, exclusiveness, car's reputation, and what people hype the car up to be. The CR is definitely much more desired on the West Coast than it is in the East Coast. The market value is so far decent. Personal market value bumps up the price. Only about 700 CRs were made in the world so it is exclusive! The car's reputation has actually grown since its debut in 2007. People continue to hype this car up more and more. The value of this car is going to stay relatively flat with a very slow downward slope for depreciation no matter how many miles you put on this car (as long as it doesn't have 300k by 2012 aka psychoazn).
Old 08-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

When I wasnt sure about if the CR was going to be everything I thought it was going to be I figured that bringing a car from the mid west to almost the west coast (PHX) would really help with re-sale. If I ever decide to part ways with the car, I know that being in AZ will help with the location and get the car closer to the market that wants these types of cars.

Some very good input from some people in here. I def bought the car to drive and enjoy, but at the same time I am mindful of re-sale and making sure the car goes back together stock etc easily. I also take extremely good care of her!