S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

need guide on CR pricing

Old 05-10-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default need guide on CR pricing

change of plans... mods please lock thread.

Last edited by 808_runwarrior; 05-12-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:03 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

According to a recent post there are less than 550 CRs still on the road (registered) in the USA. The rest may have been wrecked, turned into race cars, or just forgotten. Regardless the CR was less than 1% of the USDM cars so is "rare." Rare though does not mean collectible nor of high value. Value is in the eyes of the buyer. Is it worth $35K to you when excellent condition cars with the same mileage run closer to $20K? (If you're really in Hawaii expect higher prices.)

For me "rolled fenders" are a red flag that the owner has been playing boy racer with the car. As is the non-matching front bumper. If you want a race car there are plenty of $10K cars that can be setup and be less expensive in the end.

You can't offend anyone with a low-ball offer. Nor can they offend you with a ridiculous high asking price. The buyer ultimately determines the price.

I crossed the CR off my list immediately. Even less comfortable ride than the "base" model and there's no convertible roof. Binary open or closed car. When it rains you get wet or are claustrophobic all the time with the hard top. If I wanted a closed car I'd get a BRZ.

-- Chuck
Old 05-11-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S

I crossed the CR off my list immediately. Even less comfortable ride than the "base" model and there's no convertible roof. Binary open or closed car. When it rains you get wet or are claustrophobic all the time with the hard top. If I wanted a closed car I'd get a BRZ.

-- Chuck
I for one am glad that you did.
The following 4 users liked this post by adrs2k:
Feezy (05-11-2017), FurY (05-11-2017), JHo (05-12-2017), slo_guy (05-18-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 808_runwarrior
a ABP CR popped up for sale local to me and need help making a decent offer. Car is listed for $35K obo. I don't have all the info but this is what I got from seller so far:
-3rd owner, 52xxx miles, clear title, stock
-all vins match except for front bumper. front bumper was replaced with OEM replacement
-front end repainted due to rock chips
-front and rear fenders professionally rolled
-no dents/major scratches
-all maintenance records available including from previous owners
-9.5/10 interior
-8/10 on OEM wheels (curb on one rim)

Based on the info above, what would be a good starting offer? I don't know CR values enough and I don't want to offend seller with a low-balling offer. I appreciate any help and guidance. Thank you.

How much does it cost to ship a car to Hawaii? I imagine some of that cost is baked into the sale price.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Or you can go the route I did and make your base a cr : ). I love the cr and I know those will become a collectible one day so maybe I'll purchase one to store away but until then, I'll enjoy my complete cr clone. Values of the cr are all over the place because I have seen good deals. You have to search and not jump into the first car you see. Don't settle for something you are not happy especially with some owners who are inflating their price not considering the defects like scratches, accidents and other things on their car

Old 05-11-2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by adrs2k
How much does it cost to ship a car to Hawaii? I imagine some of that cost is baked into the sale price.
its around $1500 between Hawaii and the west coast. Luckily car is already in Hawaii but on a different island. It would be around $500 to ship it to where I am.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
I for one am glad that you did.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Yes! you made my day.
The following users liked this post:
adrs2k (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Why was the bumper replaced? Accident?

And a repaint of half of the car due to rock chips at only 52k miles seems suspicious.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

just my personal opinion, if asking $35k it needs to be mint in all aspects. I don't mind rolled fenders if done correctly. Not if the fenders are pulled and look so thin to fit +15 wheel offsets then no i don't like that. But a nice common roll to allow spacers on OEM wheels or some 9" +45 wheels is not a huge turn off to me. The missing vin on the front bumper would bother me. When you buy a CR, you're buying the car cause its unique and part of being unique is also being original.

Now having a resprayed bumper and missing vin doesn't deter me from the purchase, but it will force me to offer a lower price than listed. Id be more in the $27-$29k range due to the above comments. Although the mileage is still relatively low for our cars, its higher than id expect for this kind of price tag. When i see $35k I'm thinking original everything and perfect. The 3 owners could be fine as well if it was 3 enthusiast that understand the car they had in their possession. 1 shitty owner could ruin a car while a 5 owner car could be so mint and well maintained that its shocking... it really depends.

Good luck
Old 05-11-2017, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Memo6453
just my personal opinion, if asking $35k it needs to be mint in all aspects. I don't mind rolled fenders if done correctly. Not if the fenders are pulled and look so thin to fit +15 wheel offsets then no i don't like that. But a nice common roll to allow spacers on OEM wheels or some 9" +45 wheels is not a huge turn off to me. The missing vin on the front bumper would bother me. When you buy a CR, you're buying the car cause its unique and part of being unique is also being original.

Now having a resprayed bumper and missing vin doesn't deter me from the purchase, but it will force me to offer a lower price than listed. Id be more in the $27-$29k range due to the above comments. Although the mileage is still relatively low for our cars, its higher than id expect for this kind of price tag. When i see $35k I'm thinking original everything and perfect. The 3 owners could be fine as well if it was 3 enthusiast that understand the car they had in their possession. 1 shitty owner could ruin a car while a 5 owner car could be so mint and well maintained that its shocking... it really depends.

Good luck
thank you for your input. I completely agree with your reasoning. Your input as well as others are already helping me put together a well though out offer.

Quick Reply: need guide on CR pricing