S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

OEM side strakes..... Yes or No !

Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Default OEM side strakes..... Yes or No !

I'm curious how my fellow CR owners feel about fitting the color matched side strakes. They serve no purpose other than a visual alternative to the OEM look of the car. Plus the cost is, well, outrageous. I've test fitted a set (using 3M moulding tape) and I must say I like it. I don't think I'll permanently mount them as I'd hate to drill holes in an otherwise sound panel. So have you considered mounting these, or do you have a set installed? I don't recall anyone at the California CR meet that had them. I'm thinking these might look better on certain colors, i.e. GPW or Berlina personally.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I've considered doing this myself... my '05 S2000 had the OEM front lip, OEM spoiler (higher spoiler, not deck lid), and the OEM side strakes. I loved the overall look of the car, including the strakes. The 2 things that have held me back from putting them on my CR: not wanting to drill as you mentioned and not wanting to drop the money on them since as you said they are quite expensive for what they are and serving no real purpose other than looks. I don't see myself ever getting around to putting them on but I have seen some pics floating around of owners who have on their CR and I think it looks great.

Honestly, just as I wonder why Honda didn't include black H's front/rear for the car since the rest of the badging is black... I also wonder why the strakes weren't included as part of the package. They seem to flow well with the already aggressive look of the car and enhances it that much more.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I like the look, I don't like the holes you have to make.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 PM

1 hole on each side. uses the mud flap area for the rest. The hole is also on the bottom and not visible if removed.

the stakes offer more then aesthetics. They also block the air stream from hitting the tires. It prevents the tires from lifting at high speed. The copies do not have them from my understanding, but the OE ones do.

I also added the CF sides as seen in the pics, because I was picking up pebbles that started to tag the sides of the car. It was to prevent them from hitting the body and the 2 extra holes was acceptable from having rock chips on the door and qtrs.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:23 PM

There is a method to attach the strakes w/o drilling into the side of the panel. Rather, only a hole in the wheel well is neccesary. Had mine done this way and they look great. Lovem.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock00S2K
There is a method to attach the strakes w/o drilling into the side of the panel. Rather, only a hole in the wheel well is neccesary. Had mine done this way and they look great. Lovem.
Very true, I can attest to the 3M products tenacity. I've tried blowing them off @ 110 mph, driven on some rough sections and they've stayed put. I'm with Fasting, as long as the tape works I'm not drilling any holes. My wife's opinion on the strakes, "frankly I didn't even notice them till you pointed them out".
Old 09-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I installed mine, I only drilled the hole thats under the chassis on each side. For the side mounting, I too, just used double sided tape. It's been though 100+mph with no problems (knock on wood). The bottom of the side strakes (the black molding) actually has little clips that the plastic portion of the strake clips on, as well as two screw clamps that hold the strakes to the wheel wells.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:18 AM

Sorry never been a fan of the side strakes, but if you got some bad stone chipping in that area, might not be a bad way of covering it up?
Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

No.

I am all for OEM stuff when it makes a difference. Unless you're covering up a bigger eye-sore with the strakes, don't do it.

Quick Reply: OEM side strakes..... Yes or No !