S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Question Regarding the Type-R vs. CR

Old 04-02-2015, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by #172CR
Originally Posted by odb812' timestamp='1426721277' post='23545597
Also to note, one could argue that the JDM ITR was better than the USDM ITR, but the CR is the best stock S2000 available worldwide.
Agreed

Consider the base model Integra vs the type r models. There are a lot of distinguishing difference. However with the s2000 and Cr.. There are only a handful of difference. Differences that most Afternarket parts have already arguably improve anyways.

S2000 vs cr difference
Weight reduction (removing soft top)
Hardtop
Lip
Spoiler
Stiffer and valved suspension,
Sway bar stiffer
CR interior
Brace
Tires

However when u look at the Integra difference
bracing
sway bar
Engine and transmission
5lug
Brakes
Wheels and tires
Interior
Reinforced rigid chassis
Lip and spoiler

The key differences are the fact that, a base s2000 can be easily modify to cr specs

However with the Integra, it required a lot of specific modification to be only 80/90 equal to an actual type r.

You can make a s2000 a Cr but you cannot make a Integra a type r .. Just saying
Old 04-02-2015, 10:43 PM

Honda should've made the s2000 CR a lot more distingushing. Perhaps a beefier motor, stronger or shorter gearing and more effort to make a difference.. Beefier brakes... When compared to my base and my CR.. I can barely feel a difference.. However when I drove my friends ITR and base Integra.. What a world of difference!!!! Honda went cheap on the s2000
Old 04-03-2015, 05:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KVee
Originally Posted by #172CR' timestamp='1426731018' post='23545807
[quote name='odb812' timestamp='1426721277' post='23545597']
Also to note, one could argue that the JDM ITR was better than the USDM ITR, but the CR is the best stock S2000 available worldwide.
Agreed

Consider the base model Integra vs the type r models. There are a lot of distinguishing difference. However with the s2000 and Cr.. There are only a handful of difference. Differences that most Afternarket parts have already arguably improve anyways.

S2000 vs cr difference
Hardtop
Lip
Spoiler
Sway bar stiffer
CR interior
Brace
Tires

bracing
sway bar
Engine and transmission
5lug
Brakes
Wheels and tires
Interior
Reinforced rigid chassis
Lip and spoiler

The key differences are the fact that, a base s2000 can be easily modify to cr specs

However with the Integra, it required a lot of specific modification to be only 80/90 equal to an actual type r.

[/quote]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the steering rack is also different, including additional weld points, and the exhaust tuning is audibly different. The fact remains that Honda only built 699 of them, so I don't doubt one in cherry condition will fetch a bit over original MSRP, adjusted for inflation in another 12 years. I'd be willing to spend that for a fun car to
Old 04-03-2015, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by kpc06bb
Originally Posted by S2KVee' timestamp='1428042727' post='23565017
[quote name='#172CR' timestamp='1426731018' post='23545807']
[quote name='odb812' timestamp='1426721277' post='23545597']
Agreed

S2000 vs cr difference
Hardtop
Lip
Spoiler
Sway bar stiffer
CR interior
Brace
Tires

bracing
sway bar
Engine and transmission
5lug
Brakes
Wheels and tires
Interior
Reinforced rigid chassis
Lip and spoiler

[/quote]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the steering rack is also different, including additional weld points, and the exhaust tuning is audibly different. The fact remains that Honda only built 699 of them, so I don't doubt one in cherry condition will fetch a bit over original MSRP, adjusted for inflation in another 12 years. I'd be willing to spend that for a fun car to
[/quote]

Forgot about those. But then again the ITR also share those differences as well. Exhaust, reinforced chassis / subframe.. Instead of a different rack, supposedly the ITR has a bracing or stiffer mounts to help the steering rack
Old 04-03-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

This is from the Honda press release which details the differences in a then new S2000 vs. a new CR. While it's true one can build up a base model to handle as well, it will never be a "factory car" designed/engineered by Shigeru Uehara himself and you will have a lot more $$$$ in the base S to even come close.

Premier Performance
Nothing exemplifies Honda racing skill and ingenuity like the S2000 CR “Club Racer.” A firmer suspension, quicker steering ratio and fully functional front and rear spoilers have been specially designed to connect driver, vehicle and road.

Compete
The CR is a true competitor. Feel free to maximize its potential at club racing events.

Performance
A purist’s dream, the factory-tuned CR sports an aerodynamic design and stiffer suspension settings for increased rigidity and downforce. The CR proudly draws upon the S2000’s racing heritage, but delivers more in terms of sheer performance.

Lighter
With racecar-like suspension and lower weight, the CR’s performance is second to none. Drivers rave about its cornering, braking and acceleration. To accomplish this, the audio system and air conditioning are offered as options and the spare tire has been replaced with a tire-repair kit. This, along with other modifications, lightens the racy roadster by nearly 100 pounds from the original S2000. Add in a taut new chassis, quicker steering ratio, “stickier” tires, and track-inspired has never felt so meaningful.

EXCLUSIVE STANDARD FEATURES:

* Firmer springs and dampers
* Stiffer front and rear stabilization bars
* Quicker steering ratio
* Larger rear P255/40 R17 tires
* Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tires
* All-new 17" dark gray 5-spoke alloy wheels
* Fully functional aerodynamic front and rear spoilers
* Yellow and black fabric
* Yellow-stitched seats, shift boot and steering wheel
* Spherical aluminum shift knob
* Removable aluminum hardtop
* Body-colored roll-bar cowlings
* Sport-tuned exhaust silencer

PERFORMANCE FEATURES:

* Skidpad pulls .95G
* Slalom speed 71mph
* Coefficient of lift reduced approximately 70% over original S2000
* Over 2-seconds per lap faster around Japan’s Tsukuba Raceway than the original S2000

CRs spring specs are:

Front 391 in/lbs or 7.0 kg/mm (Base S2000 4.75 kg/mm)
Rear 346 in/lbs or 6.2 kg/mm (Base S2000 4.88 kg/mm)

In addition, shock damping rates are increased from Base: Front Increased 65%, Rear increased 40%

Steering box ratio was increased in effort/decreased in ratio from 14.9:1(Base) to 13.8:1(CR)

Shifter height was decreased 12.6mm by using the ball shapped knob & stroke was decreased 6% which also increased effort by 10% for a more positive feel

Aside from the seat material change to Alcantara/"Tomcat" Carbon Kevlar pattern, the seat padding on all surfaces was deepend and layered to improve support

The mufflers were modified by removing a U shaped baffle/return pipe to increase low frequency sound especially from mid to high RPM

Power steering bracket stiffener installed to improve steering feel and make input/feedback more precise
Old 04-03-2015, 08:02 AM
Go2

A base integra was a block of clay. The base S2000 was a diamond to begin with.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've spent considerable time in both and while I love the ITR the CR is in a different league entirely, and definitely more than suspension upgrades and minor bolt ons over a stock S2K. I thought the CR horse was beaten to death in 08, yeah?
Old 04-04-2015, 06:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thepassionofthegoose
I've spent considerable time in both and while I love the ITR the CR is in a different league entirely, and definitely more than suspension upgrades and minor bolt ons over a stock S2K. I thought the CR horse was beaten to death in 08, yeah?
I owned an '06 S2000 when I bought my CR. I love the S2000, but it's simply better in CR form. During the test drive, the CR put a spell on me and now I'm its. The CR is beautifully orchestrated for the delight of its driver. From the direct feel of each short throw of the shifter (okay, I made it even shorter) to a chassis which coaxes the driver to use that center pedal sparingly (when the path is clear). I've driven a lot of cars over the years, but the CR is easily the most fun. I'd call its designer a genius and I wish I could personally thank him.