S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Rear Axle Nut tightening on your CR

Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mchester
Keep in mind, if you torque almost any fastener to a high spec, then loosen it, and re-torque, it will not torque to the same rotational position due to threads and other surfaces stretching, deforming, and compressing slightly each time it is torqued. You won't likely get any previous stake mark to line up after torquing a 2nd or even 3rd time.

Eventually, after everything has stretched, deformed, and crushed all they can without breaking, only THEN you might get a reproducable mark. Of course you should never reach this point because you should be replacing the fastener long before it reaches this point.
very true indeed...

Billman250 has done this same procedure to many many S2K's with out any ill effects as well as countless other owners to their own cars too
the whole point of my post was to remind CR owners that their cars needed it as well

I remember reading that psychoazn had over steering issues due to a loose rear axle nut
I believe he had to replace his wheel bearing and hub, along with re-torquing the axle nut
Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you re-trq the axle nut you are suppose to take it off and grease the face of it. Also it is suppose to be 220 ft lbs not 230.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the super delayed response. My life's been a bit crazy the last few weeks; I even left the track early at the last s2k challenge.

Yes, I've already done this. It was the first thing I did when I started suspecting a wheel bearing may be going bad. It made the bad wheel bearing go a little longer, but it only delayed the inevitable with that particular bearing. Both of my axle nuts are now at 220 ft/lbs, and haven't moved a bit.

I didn't know they all came with 180 from the factory... there must be a reason for that, and the higher rating is a fix for those that drive harder, but at what expense?

PM me for my email; they're all pushed to my phone, which will likely get a faster response from me