S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

S2000 CR Supercharging

Old 12-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FurY
Originally Posted by CrackerMacker' timestamp='1356044044' post='22222671
I really enjoy the whole purist vs non purist debate. Especially how the so called purist likes to tell others what to do with their car, when the guy simply asks whether not he needs to do anything about compression when going SC'd.
I really enjoy people who try to make a big deal out of something that isn't... especially how the so called know it all makes a pointless post that has no bearing on anything when previous posts had helpful information directing the OP to the forced induction forum for help.
Who's making a big deal of anything? I just enjoy the banter, thats all im saying.

Example of a pointless post =
I'd go base model if you choose to supercharge.
FurY, why would you even suggest this? I assume the OP already has CR, and now he's considering SC'ing. Do you really think that because purist frown upon boosting a CR, that he should go buy another S to boost, just to make a purist happy?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

The OP does not have a CR as you can read in his first post. The platforms of the cr vs non are similar except the cost for a comparable non CR s2000 of the same year is thousands less. If the OP is looking to invest into forced induction, that is something to heavily weigh as the engine dynamics are exactly the same. The suggestion of a base was likely encompassing that logic.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Oh youre right. I stand corrected on my assumption. If cost is factor between getting sc'd CR vs non CR, then getting a non cr would make sense.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a couple other factors than simply purist vs. tuner here.

Aside being rare, the CR has a huge class advantage in stock class competition. Take a look at how many S2000 CRs placed in the top 25 in B Stock at SCCA nationals this year(13 CRs, 21 S2000s total). So a stock CR is of considerably more value to an autocrosser than a stock base model; but to someone who's just driving the car on the street, a SCed CR is not going to be of that much more value than an SCed base model. As far as racing goes, the class bump for a supercharger puts you in a place where you'd need to upgrade everything unique to the CR to be competitive anyway. Furthermore, most people I've seen supercharge these cars have also gone with aftermarket suspension, which in my mind is the heart of the CR.

The other thing is, most of us who compete with these cars like to focus more on our performance than the car's performance. So even though there are aftermarket parts out there that are appealing to us and we have the means for them, we'd rather keep the car stock and see what we can improve in our driving abilities first. When you see someone who hasn't even driven the stock car at it's limit slap a supercharger on their car, it's like seeing someone sit down to prime rib at a nice restaurant and drowning it in generic A-1 before taking a bite.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CrackerMacker
Who's making a big deal of anything? I just enjoy the banter, thats all im saying.

Example of a pointless post =
Originally Posted by FurY' timestamp='1355934405' post='22219621
I'd go base model if you choose to supercharge.
FurY, why would you even suggest this? I assume the OP already has CR, and now he's considering SC'ing. Do you really think that because purist frown upon boosting a CR, that he should go buy another S to boost, just to make a purist happy?
No I don't actually... it's his car and he should do as he pleases, was just my $0.02 on the matter having owned a boosted S2K and knowing how it can change the car. As I said earlier in this thread:

I agree, nothing wrong with boosting a CR necessarily... totally up to the owner.

OP - Best of luck in your research and do whatever you'll enjoy the most. And what psychoazn said is true about it being unforgiving... I used to own a turbo S2000 and can tell you that it's a lot more twitchy in the bends when you have that extra power.
At the end of the day he should do what he wants with his car and I directed him to the forced induction forum since it would be the better place to seek help and advice.

Originally Posted by odb812

Aside being rare, the CR has a huge class advantage in stock class competition. Take a look at how many S2000 CRs placed in the top 25 in B Stock at SCCA nationals this year(13 CRs, 21 S2000s total). So a stock CR is of considerably more value to an autocrosser than a stock base model; but to someone who's just driving the car on the street, a SCed CR is not going to be of that much more value than an SCed base model. As far as racing goes, the class bump for a supercharger puts you in a place where you'd need to upgrade everything unique to the CR to be competitive anyway. Furthermore, most people I've seen supercharge these cars have also gone with aftermarket suspension, which in my mind is the heart of the CR.

The other thing is, most of us who compete with these cars like to focus more on our performance than the car's performance. So even though there are aftermarket parts out there that are appealing to us and we have the means for them, we'd rather keep the car stock and see what we can improve in our driving abilities first. When you see someone who hasn't even driven the stock car at it's limit slap a supercharger on their car, it's like seeing someone sit down to prime rib at a nice restaurant and drowning it in generic A-1 before taking a bite.
Very good points
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by odb812

But I really like A-1 with my prime rib...

As for keeping the CR stock, i get it and dont have a problem with it all, especially for competition use. I just dont get the whole frowned upon thing from a purist standpoint. If someone wants a CR because they like it better than the standard S, but also wants it faster for street use and decides to get a SC, i dont have a problem with that either.

Now if someone were to get a CR, add a soft top and wide body kit to it, remove the wing and front spoiler, and swap an LS1, then I think all of us CR owners would frown upon that.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by CrackerMacker' timestamp='1356044044' post='22222671

Example of a pointless post = [quote name='FurY' timestamp='1355934405' post='22219621']I'd go base model if you choose to supercharge.
No I don't actually... it's his car and he should do as he pleases, was just my $0.02 on the matter having owned a boosted S2K and knowing how it can change the car. As I said earlier in this thread:

I agree, nothing wrong with boosting a CR necessarily... totally up to the owner.

OP - Best of luck in your research and do whatever you'll enjoy the most. And what psychoazn said is true about it being unforgiving... I used to own a turbo S2000 and can tell you that it's a lot more twitchy in the bends when you have that extra power.
At the end of the day he should do what he wants with his car and I directed him to the forced induction forum since it would be the better place to seek help and advice. [/quote]

I've heard a lot people with a turbo'd S say that the characteristics changed. How so? I'm curious to know, almost curious enough to buy another S just to put a turbo on it and see how different it is than my SC'd CR.

Having a basic SC kit with a Hondata tune, the characteristics havent changed IMO, it's just faster with a smoother transition to vtec. Then again I havent tracked my CR so i dont know how different it is when taking it to the limit.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the recommendation to buy a non CR if you want to boost it. You'll save money upfront and be able to build it out more with the money saved. The CR is the CR because...it's the CR. I don't see the point of making a CR something other than a CR. Some people are on mad part hunts just to make a non CR closer to the real thing, myself included.

To each his own but this is a place to express opinions, like it or not. Also posting a question like this in a non FI section is bound to bring out comments not so directly related to the original question.

I pity the fool that boosts a CR or a stock S and doesn't drive it the way it was meant to be driven. I also pity the fool who buys a stock non CR and doesn't drive it the way it was meant to be driven. If you are buying a CR or boosting an S for curb appeal and hard parking go enroll in art school, find another hobby, and learn how to actually drive your car, because in the end the only one you impress is yourself.

To the OP's credit he does sound like he intends to use the car the way it was intended to be used, no matter what or how he builds it. For that, respect is earned.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
For that, respect is earned.
Haha, yea were all here for some respect right.

So check it out, it's like this: If I lose, winner takes my car clean and clear. But if I win, I take the cash, *and* I take the respect!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:09 PM

S2000 CR Supercharging-wp4rr.jpg

Quick Reply: S2000 CR Supercharging