S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

STI to CR?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^Yup! My daily driver is my wife's old 2001 Volvo S40. makes more torque than the s2k It's actually really nice to have a daily driver that I can park anywhere and I don't care about door dings and such.

For what it's worth the only cars I've ever had other than my daily were Subarus or S2ks. I've had 1 WRX and 2 STIs and I'm now on my 3rd S2K. Every time I thought I wanted a bigger car I sold the s2k and bought an STI only to turn around and sell it in months. Both STIs combined only lasted 10 months. I'm much much happier and I don't even have a CR.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with everyone's points that have been made so far

Obviously though you'll get some bias on this forum

You and I actually did just about the same thing... I used to own an '05 S2K, then I had an '06 STi, and then sold my STi last year to get my current S2K CR. I think it really depends on what your needs are... if you need space and more practicality the STi will win all day long. It's a jack of all trades but a master of none imo. It does a lot of things REALLY good, but it's not a master at them. I loved my STi and had no issues with it, I just missed the feel and driving experience of the S2K. Also, given that S2K's are no longer produced, I wanted to snatch one up in good condition while I still could... I figured I could always get another STi later since they're still made.

I like to do a lot of spirited driving and track days and I noticed that while the STi was very capable... it liked to "slop" it's way through the corners more than the S. I would have some sliding, some understeer, but with proper inputs and throttle you could power your way through the corner very quickly. It's definitely a fun way to drive, but I missed the way the S2K handled corners in comparison. If I could sum up the S2K's feel vs. the STi in one word, it'd be PRECISION. Everything about the S2K is very precise (as you know) and I think that's what ultimately brought me back. Couple that with the fact I would have high revs again (missed that), top off, and RWD and I knew I needed to get back into another S2K.

One last point: I wouldn't have made the switch had I not had a beater with a heater to drive everyday. I personally refuse to daily my S even though I know many people do. To me it's a fun weekend car and I didn't want to rack up mileage on it everyday doing the commuting grind to work. When I sold my first S2K to get the STi, I also was parting ways with my old beater since it was on it's last leg. Part of the reason I went with the STi was that I could drive it year round but still have fun with it. Once I got a new beater, the STi's days were numbered.

In a few years after I get some expenses taken care of, I do plan to get a WRX hatch as a new DD to go with my CR. Best of luck with your decision!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the flip side, there are some SPECTACULAR Evo leases right now, and I'm being tempted over to the dark side for an Evo daily.

While biased, we do have a significant number of affluent owners here, a lot of whom have actually owned WRX/STI/etc. in their past, if they do not currently.

While no street car under 100k can offer that intangible, unquantifiable quality of driving enjoyment, the STi is a far more practical car, that is, as Fury stated, a jack of all trades. Want to go fast? It can. Want to turn? it can. Need to carry 4 people? It can. Snow? Yup. Roof rack? Yup. Track worthy? Definitely. Reliable (stock)? most definitely. Holds value? undisputedly. Brand loyalty? Subaru is #1 here.

The S2k is a precision tool, that only only does a few things, but absolutely excels at those few things. Case in point: at one point, I had an entire stable of cars. When I was liquidating assets, I sold every car EXCEPT for my CR. I even ate sandwiches and ramen only at one point to put Motul in the CR.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing to note: Want to have fun in the STi? The proper way is SIDEWAYS. Chuck it into the corner, get it sideways, and then WOT.

No other car in this price range can do that.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Like others have said if you need practicality I'd go STI all day long. I personally wouldn't have an s2k as a daily again. I have found that I enjoy it that much more when I do drive it. Like a few others have said the STI just feels sloppy compared to the s2k and that driving feel you get is part of what makes the car so enjoyable. The Honda motor just runs soooo smooth too which is one other thing I love.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
One thing to note: Want to have fun in the STi? The proper way is SIDEWAYS. Chuck it into the corner, get it sideways, and then WOT.

No other car in this price range can do that.
Agree x 1000000

It's a really fun way to drive, but it always felt kind of sloppy to me... but that's how the STi has to be driven. I wanted to cut through corners like a knife or as if my car is on rails and the S2K shines in that regard.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

All good stuff here!! I agree and feel the same way with all of it

It is funny, I spent ridiculous amounts of money trying to make the Subaru have "feel" to it. The car never felt quite right. Always a bit sloppy and not precise. Never tight enough or stiff enough in the ways I wanted. I bought every bushing, brace, hardened mount on the market, even swapped steering racks, control arms, etc. After 8 years with a WRX that was basically a full bug eyed STI the car still doesnt even come close to a S2000 as far as feel goes. I was amazed and still am that you dont have to mod the S2000 to get the "feel" as its already there...like a proper sports car. I sold my WRX to a friend to replace his STI and he swore my bug eye handled better and felt better than his 04 sti. I drove my old car a couple months after buying my first S2000 and thought wow, my Subaru sucked. It felt like junk compared to a stock s2000. I have driven and ridden in a few Elise's and even rode in an Aerial Atom on track this weekend. Those are both amazing machines but take the feel to a whole different level. I think the S2000 is a perfect mix. Not quite hardcore, but still extremely capable. After riding in the Atom, I was still very pleased and happy to climb back in the S.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

I started track days in a WRX. Felt like an HPDE hero out there. I had power and grip and could hang with just about anyone and anything. As I grew up and matured I realized there was a lot more to going fast. That is when I knew the S2000 was the right car. It takes a special talent to drive fast, and its extremely rewarding. It also makes you work hard but that is the fun part! Its not easy to trust and sling into a corner at first.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree with the beater thing... I bought a $500 winter beater 4 years ago because I won't drive my SHO or STi in the snow. I actually started using it as a daily driver to replace my 2002 Civic as I liked being able to park it anywhere. The Civic is gone and the SHO will be replaced with an S2000 next month, but I cannot give up my 2005 STi any time soon. I like the torque/power it has (not stock) too much. The aftermarket is huge, so it satisfies my need to mod things.

With that said, if you get a cheap beater, pick the car that you'll have the most fun with.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, I just have to say that I have different feelings between the GD vs GR chassis. I like the GD chassis a lot!! But I would give up a GR in a heartbeat. Just IMO.