S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Swift Spec R.... Review

Old 11-19-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Another one I took today for good measure.

Name:  IMG_0583.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  173.8 KB
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Takchi I believe posted when swift was working on the spec r, I thought someone said they provided analysis of the testing on the cr strut. If anyone has concerns I would assume contacting swift regarding it for a copy of the research.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM

Swift says that they were based on what the stock shocks can handle.

"2 Increase in spring rate to further enhance cornering speed through entry & exit. The increase in spring rate is based on the vehicle factory stock valving settings. Sport Springs Spec-R is increase to the optimal rate that the stock shocks can handle. Higher performance shocks are not required, but recommended."

I'm sure I'm doing any favors to my stock shocks and I'm sure they will wear quicker now, but according to Swift there should not be any direct issues. All of their information states AP1/2 and '00-'09.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maranelloboy05

"2 Increase in spring rate to further enhance cornering speed through entry & exit. The increase in spring rate is based on the vehicle factory stock valving settings. Sport Springs Spec-R is increase to the optimal rate that the stock shocks can handle. Higher performance shocks are not required, but recommended."

I'm sure I'm doing any favors to my stock shocks and I'm sure they will wear quicker now, but according to Swift there should not be any direct issues. All of their information states AP1/2 and '00-'09.
Swift Springs developed the Spec R spring around the CR shocks. The spring rate was then cross-checked with the AP1 and AP2 shocks to make sure they are compatible with each other. What Swift found was that the Spec R was the absolute limit for the AP1/AP2 shocks. The Spec R spring is developed to also give you that nice dropped look as well without significantly degrading the life of the shocks.

Keep in mind all lowering springs decrease the life of OEM dampers. Swift Springs just did their homework, research, and testing much better than the other manufacturers. Hope that information helps.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by takchi
Originally Posted by maranelloboy05' timestamp='1353367614' post='22160797

Swift Springs developed the Spec R spring around the CR shocks. The spring rate was then cross-checked with the AP1 and AP2 shocks to make sure they are compatible with each other. What Swift found was that the Spec R was the absolute limit for the AP1/AP2 shocks. The Spec R spring is developed to also give you that nice dropped look as well without significantly degrading the life of the shocks.

Keep in mind all lowering springs decrease the life of OEM dampers. Swift Springs just did their homework, research, and testing much better than the other manufacturers. Hope that information helps. />
Thanks, that's about what I figured. I'm so far very happy with them.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by takchi' timestamp='1353369294' post='22160848
[quote name='maranelloboy05' timestamp='1353367614' post='22160797']

Keep in mind all lowering springs decrease the life of OEM dampers. Swift Springs just did their homework, research, and testing much better than the other manufacturers. Hope that information helps. />/>
[/quote]
Sorry I need to make a correction. The nice drop look is the maximum drop before you run out of decent shock travel. A lot of lowering springs forget to take that into consideration as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for posting that up David.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by takchi
Originally Posted by maranelloboy05' timestamp='1353372856' post='22160963
[quote name='takchi' timestamp='1353369294' post='22160848']

Keep in mind all lowering springs decrease the life of OEM dampers. Swift Springs just did their homework, research, and testing much better than the other manufacturers. Hope that information helps. />/>/>
[/quote]
Sorry I need to make a correction. The nice drop look is the maximum drop before you run out of decent shock travel. A lot of lowering springs forget to take that into consideration as well.
[/quote]

Ah, ok, definitely seems like they put a lot more effort into these than other spring companies. I thought the springs would be too low when I got them, but it came out really nice. Also, I didn't see any "settling" from the time they were installed until now, looks exactly the same, but correct me if I'm wrong Swift says there is no settling on these.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by takchi' timestamp='1353374878' post='22161021
[quote name='maranelloboy05' timestamp='1353372856' post='22160963']
[quote name='takchi' timestamp='1353369294' post='22160848']

Keep in mind all lowering springs decrease the life of OEM dampers. Swift Springs just did their homework, research, and testing much better than the other manufacturers. Hope that information helps. />/>/>/>
[/quote]
[/quote]

Ah, ok, definitely seems like they put a lot more effort into these than other spring companies. I thought the springs would be too low when I got them, but it came out really nice. Also, I didn't see any "settling" from the time they were installed until now, looks exactly the same, but correct me if I'm wrong Swift says there is no settling on these.
[/quote]
You are correct. Swift springs don't settle. The reason being is that highend spring companies use methods to make sure their springs maintain their effective rates, shape, physical dimensions, etc. If you're looking for springs on coilovers, Hyperco and Swift are the top companies to go with because their spring rates are extremely linear, they are lighter, and they do not settle. It makes a significant difference when you're tuning your suspension. It also makes crappy coilovers feel acceptable. That's how effective springs are. Now shock valving is a different story. I turn that topic to adrs2k.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

^ Start with this:

http://www.penskeshocks.co.uk/downlo...TechManual.pdf

Quick Reply: Swift Spec R.... Review