S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Trade CR for Base s2k

Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade CR for Base s2k

Ok cr bros/sis have a dilemma. Recently I've been thinking of just selling the CR and getting a base s2k. I'm more into power making (FI) than auto cross or whatever. I really love the car and my mom would hate me if I sell it when I'm halfway paying the loan 15k left. I have a couple reasons why I want to let it go.

1. It would be great if i can help them out more with bills since my payment is $500/month
2. I don't have the heart to do heavy modification on a CR when it's suppose to be "rare"

Now my buddy is telling me to trade it in to someone for a base s2k with pink in hand and have them catch my remaining loan? Now I'm not really sure how this works becuase I have never done any transaction like this. Letting my car go is not really an option unless push comes to shove, but I just thought it would be best for someone out there who can appreciate more than I'm planning to do with it. If this wasn't the right section then I apologize. I just thought I'd ask for the CR guys about their opinion. Thanks any advice would be appreciated.

Spec of my08 bb

3rd owner with 76k mileage give or take
Rpf1+45
Vented hood
Short ram K&N
Hks 75 with mendrel bent pipes (header back) no cat
Fa500 with swift 12k springs upgrade
Alpine radio
Viper alarm
Flashpro
Old 01-12-2014, 12:03 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think what you're suggesting would be a good financial decision for you. You've already some some heavy mods such as vented hood, bent pipes, etc. you have some good performance mods on it and not sure you without looking at your potential parts list, what type of F1 S you would build.

If you really wanted the flexibility of a soft top maybe going to a base trim would be okay. Other than that, probably taking a look at the financial transaction would be key in your decision.

Your CR has a lot of what your would redo in your base S. Why not look at something else completely if the CR doesn't meet your build needs.

Others can chime in with more experience with what you're suggesting.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 AM

I've thought about this time & time again, but f@#k it, my08 bb with 9k miles is in the fabrication process for my turbo set-up, and unless its a $$ issue, just do it and don't look back.

One suggestion would be to retain all OEM parts if you ever decide to go back to stock. I can put everything back and the rolled fenders will be the only thing that keep it from being a 100% stock CR.

That being said, pay off the 15k, keep your CR forever, buy a salvaged/rebuilt/shell S2000 & build it for 1000+hp.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:17 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with your 2nd point... if the CR trim had been more common then I think it would make more sense to just keep it and boost, but with only 699 out there (and some of those lost to wrecks, theft, etc) I understand where you're coming from. Personally I wouldn't do it, but as others have said you're pretty far along with some mods as it is and you'll most likely just hurt yourself financially trying to preserve a CR. That's something I admire a lot, but you'll be taking a hit and it doesn't really make sense. It's your car, go for it if you want to boost it. To me, the most important thing above all no matter what you do to the car is take care of it. Proper maintenance on time and never skip anything. Keep her washed/waxed and interior clean... those kinds of things.

best of luck

Edit: oh and x2 on keeping the OEM parts, don't lose or sell them. IMO if you can't afford what you want without selling them, don't get it lol.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Anarchy
I've thought about this time & time again, but f@#k it, my08 bb with 9k miles is in the fabrication process for my turbo set-up, and unless its a issue, just do it and don't look back. One suggestion would be to retain all OEM parts if you ever decide to go back to stock. I can put everything back and the rolled fenders will be the only thing that keep it from being a 100% stock CR. That being said, pay off the 15k, keep your CR forever, buy a salvaged/rebuilt/shell S2000 & build it for 1000+hp.
Agreed.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 AM

@s2k4life_az I bought a custom turbo kit from my buddy so I'll be going forice induction. I don't mind the soft top and all because I will eventually get hardtop. To be honest, I don't think the CR is any special vs a base s2k with aftermarket parts othan the being "rare" and other differences they come out with that a base s2k don't have.

@anarchy ahaha been to it all last year. so you're boosting the CR? What numbers are your goal? I plan to get my transmission & diff replaced and all other necessary stuff once the car is paid off. As of now I'll be happy if I make 400-500whp. People on here would say s2k is not meant for drag or just get a v8, but all in all is the preference. You'd be lying if you don't like the idea and sound of a turbo/sc s2k

@Fury I know. I've seen people not driving their CR and still paying for it. I just can't pay for a car that just sits in the garage when I can drive it and have the most fun out of it. I agree on keeping the car forever since that's what I would do. I'm all updated in fluid maintenance is must for me. The OEM parts that I replaced I no longer have so that's not gonna work lol

I don't regret of buying the CR at all. Just would like to know what you would do in this position. I know it's my car and all but reason I brought this up is because with a base cheaper s2k, I can buy the parts I really want on the car. My sis would always tell me, "if you're buying something you really want and you're spending big money, then always get the top of the line" lol
Old 01-12-2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by uLmighty
@anarchy ahaha been to it all last year. so you're boosting the CR? What numbers are your goal? I plan to get my transmission & diff replaced and all other necessary stuff once the car is paid off. As of now I'll be happy if I make 400-500whp. People on here would say s2k is not meant for drag or just get a v8, but all in all is the preference. You'd be lying if you don't like the idea and sound of a turbo/sc s2k
Goal is 750~ but I'm definitely looking forward to getting into the 1000s eventually. I have a T56 and an R200 differential sitting in my garage, but for this summer I plan on keeping the drive-line oem. I'm gonna give myself 6-12 months to decide if I want to take the plunge and molest a CR to the point of no return or purchase an wrecked S2 and swap everything over for an all out drag car.

Is this going to be a street/show/meet car? drag? track? daily with some spirited hwy pulls?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:00 PM

I think when you owe money in a car loan an trade or sell it's sometimes really hrs to walk away feeling that you got the better end of the deal. Do the math and see d it makes sense for you to sell and buy another with mods. Sounds like you've made up your mind from the sounds of it.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

The car has 75K miles on it already. Keep it and make it YOURS!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you need to pay bills and take the bus for a while instead of starting up a new build.

Quick Reply: Trade CR for Base s2k