S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Who uses an x-brace on a CR (with OEM CR suspension)

Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Who uses an x-brace on a CR (with OEM CR suspension)

Who uses an x-brace on a CR (with OEM CR suspension)

post up your experience here:

1. What x-brace do you have.
2. How did you notice the change in the car handling?

I'm wondering about CR suspension setups, not aftermarket.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I had a cusco U-brace (got it for free). Not exactly what you are asking about. I felt zero difference, so I took it off and let a friend with a AP1 try it out.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by adrs2k
I had a cusco U-brace (got it for free). Not exactly what you are asking about. I felt zero difference, so I took it off and let a friend with a AP1 try it out.
Sweet, thanks for posing up. I'm trying to evaluate whether I want to invest in an x-brace, if I plan to go full CR suspension eventually.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by adrs2k' timestamp='1320161358' post='21118773
Sweet, thanks for posing up. I'm trying to evaluate whether I want to invest in an x-brace, if I plan to go full CR suspension eventually.
X-brace doesn't do anything for what you want. Full CR suspension is not mind blowing crazy. It is, however, OEM and a little stiffer than base model stuff.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the spoon x brace and I personally feel that it helped a little bit with turn in on the track. Car felt a bit more stable
Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by takchi
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1320298690' post='21124455
[quote name='adrs2k' timestamp='1320161358' post='21118773']
X-brace doesn't do anything for what you want. Full CR suspension is not mind blowing crazy. It is, however, OEM and a little stiffer than base model stuff.
[/quote]
Not looking for mind blowing crazy, just an OEM designed alternative to stock. Something to replace my stock AP2 suspension which is coming up on 120k miles.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Biohazard
I have the spoon x brace and I personally feel that it helped a little bit with turn in on the track. Car felt a bit more stable
Last year there was a guy who had every single possible stiffening bar on his car, lowering springs, wing, and 235/255 setup tires and there was a guy who ran all OEM non-CR suspension with the exception of non-stag and a GTC-200 wing. The latter won all the time and the former mainly got second. The moral of the story is, the feeling should be positive but it does not always equate to mind blowing quick times. I have had stiffening bar lust and in this case, the money can be better spent in other places. For eklipz98, more money to the CR stuff.

In any case, I would assume there is some better driver feedback, but I doubt there is any effect to improving handling drastically enough that it'll be quantifiable. The S2k is pretty rigid from the factory. Obviously a platform like the AE86 benefited with every possible bar you could find.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I have always looked at added bracing as "feel good" mods, not "performance" mods. There are WAY WAY too many variables to take into account on a race track to actually be able to compare time differences with different bars. Perhaps you could try a slalom or skidpad to test if there are any performance benefits. The slalom and skidpad are much more repeatable as a test case, versus lapping around a track.

My opinion on the matter is, if you want to spend the money to improve the "feel", then bracing is a good mod.

If you want to go faster around the track, then spend money on classes, tires, brakes, wheels, power, etc.

To each their own when it comes to mods!!! I would just never say a car with these braces is no faster than the car without. There are way to many variables, and it comes down to the driver more than anything!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also know that cr suspension is designed around aero. look at the front spring rates vs the stock ap2 spring rates or even the ap1's its clear that the front lip adds a shitload of front grip
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by street_ruler
also know that cr suspension is designed around aero. look at the front spring rates vs the stock ap2 spring rates or even the ap1's its clear that the front lip adds a shitload of front grip
This is important information, thank you for posting this up. Im confident the Cr suspension will add some benefit just alone...right?, but aero is important to be reminded of.

Quick Reply: Who uses an x-brace on a CR (with OEM CR suspension)