S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Would you ever .... part 2

Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you ever .... part 2

It's spring time and as you all know, there's that itch to change up cars or parts as most enthusiast tend to do after the winter. I've been thinking over the past few months about perhaps trading in the 09 CR for something more exotic. But the only thing that comes to mind is the NSX. Based on current market value, my budget only allows me to get one that is a 91 - 96. 97+ holds a price premium that is beyond my budget, and I'll most likely hunt when its the cheapest, in the fall.

I'm gonna break down my though process for it and perhaps the community can give me on some input on weather its a good idea or not since I tend to try to justify things and neglect logic at times just from sheer passion about cars. I have test driven several NSX's before, a 96,98, and a 04. By far my fav is 02+ even with its body flex issue with the targa, but its too far out of reach.

Pros:
1. Its more of a head turner (I prefer 02+ look, and it would be first mod I do (5k ish))
2. I like the full aluminium chassis
3. Its lower, has more HP / TQ
4. Mid engine layout

Neutral:
1. Less "fun" but more refined
2. Not as good for auto X but better on high speed track
3. Hold its value

Cons:
1. Cost of ownership
2. almost 20 years OLD!!!, higher mileage, higher repair costs and potential failures
3. 5 Speed, and not as smooth shifting
4. waterpump and timing belt change every 5 years or so $1000+ job
5. No power steering on older years, and snap ring issues on certain tranny vin's, flexing on models with targa (not as good as s2k).

Let me know what you guys think and perhaps give me some insight to those who own both, if its worth the jump or not.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 PM

the deal breaker for the nsx is the interior... otherwise its an amazing car even 20years later!

it's really hard to find a car that will top the driving experience of a cr. I've been looking at various cars to eventually replace the cr (one I could comfortably daily without worrying about it), and I haven't found anything. I think I'm going to end up with a regular s2000
Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

No one is a bigger proponent of getting an NSX if you are going to let the CR go, but realize the performance of the CR is really top notch and the technology of the NSX is extremely dated. Personally I wouldn't do it unless you're in a position for an 02+
Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 AM

*Ahem* Don't judge but my first car was a 91 NSX. I will admit that I have thought about going back to a NSX and have been pressured by family members to seriously consider it but I have decided to stay with the CR for now.

A few random thoughts:

What do you want to use the car for?
  • Racing?
  • Auto X?
  • DD?
  • Shows?
  • I know you have weighed the pros and cons of the car but you should seriously consider what you want to get out of from owning the car (besides a change).
ALL NSX's are Head Turners.
  • To me the 02+ are too much like Corvettes and other types of cars of the time, which that we still see on the streets. The older ones have a classier look, although it might be more boxy. I have noticed guys like more curvier cars then I do.
How much attention do you want to receive?
  • I parked my NSX on Sunset Blvd and I will never forget when I came back to my car. There was a CROWD of people around it taking pictures, etc. I constantly had people talk to me about my car. I have had people do this with my CR as well but it's rarer.
As you know, full aluminium chassis and anything else that can potentially break/get damage equals MORE MONEY IN REPAIRS.
  • A small scrape on the side was over a thousand dollars to repair. I can only imagine that it's more money now due to the age.
Lower= driving more carefully over bumps, dips and anything else.
  • If you're used to driving a car that's six inches away from the ground then this shouldn't be much of an issue.
Mid engine layouts are AWESOME.
The handling is amazing. I miss that and from my memory, the CR doesn't compare.
I will echo that it holds it's value. It is possible to find lower mileage NSXs but you have to be patient and be willing to pay the price.

Finally, if you want a change that requires an investment, and you are willing to hold onto it for awhile, then why not wait to get the year/car you want?