S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

***Review on my new sound system***

Old 04-09-2007, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face ***Review on my new sound system***

All of us S2k owners know how terrible our OEM system is, and most of us yearn for aftermarket replacements. Well today my hope became a reality.

A couple weeks ago I removed the OEM head unit and replaced it with the new Alpine CDA-9885, which made an incredible difference. It is an amazing deck which is easy to use and to tune. The display is bright even in the day and the deck identifies CD titles and songs with ease. The ipod cable works like a charm as long as you have a forth generation and up ipod it works seemlesly. Coupled with modfry's wired DCI it makes navigating through tunes a delight.

Today I had the following installed in the S2k:
Alpine cda-9885 (Existing w/ ipod cable)
Modfry's wired DCI for Alpin (Existing)
Alpine Amp MRP-F250 4 channel (Trunk)
Polk Momo MM6 Components (6.5 fronts)
Polk Momo MMC525 (5.25 rear panels)

After everything was tuned I jumped in the cockpit of the S2k with the top down and slowly turned up the volume to enjoy the audio that I had wanted since purchasing the S. The speakers sound amazing as they thumped to the power provided by the Alpine amp. The highs of the silk tweeters were not harsh on the ears, even at high volume settings. The silky highs were complimented by the good base of the polk speakers. The rear speakers do a good job providing fill and mid range sound. Overall I really like the setup and enjoyed listening clearly to my tunes with the top down on the way home.

Some things I learned:
-Do your research on S2ki.com. car owners are most familar with thier cars
-Ask questions about things you do not know to stereo gurus (EJ mods are a great place to start!)
-It is ok to do a little at a time (if you do this plan strategically)
-Start with a headunit if you can do nothing else
-Invest in a set of good quality component speakers it will cost you any where from $100 to $600 depending on the make and model (Don't be cheap here)
-Power your speakers with an amp, it makes a huge difference
-Buy a Modfry's DCI, it is a great product made by a fellow member, hats off for a great product.
-Do not skimp on this car, save and plan so you do not waste more money going back and fixing your mistakes
-There are other things but do not recall them right now

I will try to post some pics in the next couple days, I am slowly becoming a EJ!!!

Thanks for reading!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-10-2007, 06:08 AM

Awesome setup dude! I already have the 9885, and my next install is the powered amp for the speakers.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by myculito,Apr 10 2007, 06:08 AM
Awesome setup dude! I already have the 9885, and my next install is the powered amp for the speakers.
Sounds like your on the right track!! I remember reading your review on the 9885. What speakers and amp are you going with?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Romeez,Apr 10 2007, 12:19 PM
Sounds like your on the right track!! I remember reading your review on the 9885. What speakers and amp are you going with?
I already have the components installed. I bought the Alpine SPR-17LS components.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM

I have the same system also but trying to figure out how to mount the rears espacially the size of that magnet. can you give me tips or some sweet pictures.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great as i'm sure your outcome is, you've forgotten the most valuable piece of advice you could possible relay.

Installation is worth double what the components are.

If you had components installed professionally, you'll get miles more out of your sound system than spending $$$$ on top quality parts.

With audio, installation is everything. Decent installers will probably get you down there whilst they position speakers and organise the eq accurately for your preferred listening experience.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:23 AM

Finally did it too and the labor is defenatly worth more than the equiptment but it was so worth every sweat, cuts on the hands and a little back pain.
I love this system it sounds amazing. If you are looking for a nice clean high end sound than this is for you. just my 2 cents

These are the momo mmc6500 cant see in the door but they are there.

romeez helped me with a few questions I had, thanks againg bro

Old 03-19-2008, 04:11 PM

where did you run the cables? power and speaker/RCA? drivers side, passenger side? d you get any interference?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Power cable goes thru the middle and speakers and signal wire go thru the pass side. oh and the rca wires too. I get no interference at all I beleive its the power cable needs to be away from everything else from what I've heard.

Quick Reply: ***Review on my new sound system***