S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

6 1/2" sub and price of OEM speakers

Old 12-29-2002, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 1/2" sub and price of OEM speakers

I was wondering if anyone knew the price of the OEM door speakers? I replaced the head unit and upgraded the door speakers. The new setup is pleanty loud but lacks the bass that the OEM speakers originally had. I'm thinking about putting the OEM speakers in the rear (unfortunately one of them is blown and needs to be replaced).

Has anyone doen this?? results?

Yesterday I was at an audio store just browsing for ideas and I saw a pair of kicker, speakers - what looked 6 1/2" subs. The magnet didn't look much bigger than any other speaker. Has anyone tried putting small subs like this behind the seats... maybe even w/ a crossover?
Old 12-29-2002, 08:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your speaker "phasing". If you have one door speaker backwards (+ connected to - instead of + to +) it will kill the bass, but not affect the rest of the sound.

I have no clue what the factory speakers would cost to buy from Honda, but if Honda paid more than $3 each they got ripped.

The factory speakers sounded "bassy" because they were designed to. They were made to be very efficient (to sound loud with the low-power HU) and provide a good amount of mid-bass (to sound good in the showroom), but to do that they sacrificed real low bass output. The stock speakers also had no tweeters, ('00 and '01), so that made them sound like they had more bass.

I don't think the factory speakers would be good for use as subs, but others have used them for fill-in behind the seats.

I had a similar problem to yours. I installed two sets of after-market speakers in my doors and they sounded worse (for bass) than stock. One was Kenwood Excellons, which turned out to be mids and tweeters, not woofers and tweeters like the package leads you to believe. The other pair were very expensive Morel drivers that because of the huge 3" tweeter in the center the woofer had so little cone surface area they could not put out much bass. I returned both of them.

You can get 6.5" door speakers that have good bass, but they will not be cheap. I got mine from madisound.com and they are great. Most people that hear it think I have a small sub, but I don't. The problem with madisound is that they only sell individual drivers, so you have to know enough about speakers to find what you want.

As far as 6.5" subs behind the seat, I don't think there's enough room for a properly sized box. I was in a stereo store and they were trying to convince me to buy some of their custom behind-seat enclosures with 6.5" woofers. They brought me out to the shop where they were installing a pair of these behind the seats of a 911, using two woofers in each enclosure (total 4 drivers). They were in such small boxes that it killed the bass response, and I told the guy my door speakers sounded better than his "sub-woofers". He wasn't happy, but after listening to my car he decided I was right. But that didn't stop him from charging the Porsche owner $400 for his sub-woofers.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an amp running with your mandisound speakers? Which speakers did you choose for your s2000? I may just do like you did, save myself the trouble, and just get some high-quality speakers.