S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Android Single Din w/o Cutting!

Old 06-28-2018, 04:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Android Single Din w/o Cutting!

Hey all, just ordered a Joying 8.8" unit and thought I'd share... was never super comfortable with the idea of cutting the dash, and I've been looking for something for so long it felt like I'd never stumble upon something for our rides.

That was, until, I saw the ultra-wide 8.8" android unit below;

With the door removed (but the vent cover left behind) it almost looks OEM. I'm actually a bit surprised about how perfect it all is. It's a bit awkward to reach and use the screen, mind you, being right in front of the shifter, but you shouldn't be fiddling while driving anyways.

I've also not yet set up the dash controls, but I had an Alpine Modifry DCI and have been trying to use it to no avail. The Joying unit is fully programmable, where you can click and hold a button and assign functions to it, so I'm going to try and rewire without the DCI and see if I can get the volume, etc. going. Would love to turn the audio mode button into a Google Assistant button too.

This is the unit I'd ordered https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-an...radio-4gb.html

Anyways, hope this helps! Someone else might benefit who doesn't want a traditional din unit, but doesn't want to go tearing up their dashboard either.

Happy installing!
The following users liked this post:
yasuakio (10-29-2021)
Old 06-28-2018, 06:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Have any pictures installed to share?
Old 06-28-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

I hardly ever even open my radio door with my Sony HU. All controlled by my Android Note 4 and dash controls. I like things dark at night.
You will make quite an impact on the resale value of the car. It won't be positive. I would automatically reject a car like that.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:08 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

^^ Yeah same. I don't ever open the radio door. If I do it's once in a while for a second.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I hardly ever even open my radio door with my Sony HU. All controlled by my Android Note 4 and dash controls. I like things dark at night.
You will make quite an impact on the resale value of the car. It won't be positive. I would automatically reject a car like that.
Hey just a heads up but there's literally no modification required. I just removed the door is all, not a single cut, nick, or scuff. 100% reversible. Same as you'd do if you were swapping the door for a CR style or for the original black plastic.

That's why I was so excited about this option, it gives you the more modern media control, without a single downside. I can literally pull it out, put the door back on, and slide the OEM deck in and BAM I've sold you a car.

But I'd never sell the car. It's mine. But I could, you know.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by slam126
Have any pictures installed to share?
Also, um, it is installed.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I originally had just a bluetooth amp and did much the same thing, but found GPS directions benefit from a screen, and sometimes my phone would die. It's nice to have the functionality built in.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian_2K
Also, um, it is installed.
Correct, but can I see how it looks like install in your car.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian_2K
I originally had just a bluetooth amp and did much the same thing, but found GPS directions benefit from a screen, and sometimes my phone would die. It's nice to have the functionality built in.
That is true. I have an Akron stalk mount from my pax front seat bolt that holds my Android or TomTom. I can also pop my TomTom on the window pretty fast with the suction cup. I don't need GPS around town but I use it on longer trips. Probably 90% of the time I use my internal human GPS.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by slam126
Correct, but can I see how it looks like install in your car.
Maybe I'm not following? That is my car. If you'd like me to take more pics let me know.

Quick Reply: Android Single Din w/o Cutting!