S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

antenna wire in the cabin-- where does it run to the rear of the car?

Old 03-07-2004, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antenna wire in the cabin-- where does it run to the rear of the car?

I've got to hook up my alarm pager system to the antenna line and am wondering where it runs into the car? Does it go up the passenger moulding under the door? Or does it go behind the spare tire then up through the center console? (I haven't seen it there)

I guess I could just buy an extra-long length of wire and run it into the trunk via the spare tire area, but if there is a closer place, that'd be cool.

NOTE: I plan on soldering the wire from the alarm to the antenna wire, so an easy location to solder would be nice.

thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have no clue... but i'd like to know when you find out...
Old 03-08-2004, 01:33 PM

ttt hello? c'mon, somebody has to know...
Old 03-08-2004, 01:45 PM

Does this help?

Old 03-08-2004, 01:51 PM

And this:

Old 03-08-2004, 02:00 PM

Hmm, soldering directly to the antenna lead; I'm not too sure how practical that'll be. The antenna lead is a heavily shielded wire and has some heavy duty plugs on each end. And don't forget there's an active signal booster bolted right under the antenna that only runs when the radio is running. It may not passively transmit the signal from the antenna to the antenna lead when the booster is not powered up. And if that's true, than your antenna is basically the shielded lead which will receive radio signals pretty poorly. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 03-08-2004, 08:06 PM

chrissa-- YOU ROCK!! that's exactly what I needed. thank you!

good point too about the signal booster possibly blocking the signal. wlaurent, modifry-- your opinions? I'm needing the antenna to transmit the signal from my alarm to the pager.

also, what's the best way then to integrate my alarm beeper wire into the antenna lead? is there some kind of T-junction I can buy from Radio Shack?

thanks for all the help!!
Old 03-08-2004, 09:12 PM

Hi: I would forget about using the radio antenna cable and just run another system. Try an antenna under the convertable top perhaps under the plastic tray the top folds into or on the top of it stuck to the top side of the tray. Its kind of late and I can,t think too straight but that seems like the best idea. Been a hard day working on satellite transmitters and then school.
Andy
Old 03-09-2004, 12:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andy Kirk
Hi:
Old 03-09-2004, 05:15 AM

Hi again:
I would think you would still get good transmission with the top down, I almost always put the top up when parked anyway. I would like to get some idea of what the antenna looks like to see if something else could be used. What frequency does the alarm work at?
I notice you are in the bay area, where in the area I am in Los Altos, perhaps we can get together I havehad some sucess in making custom mobile antennas before. I have worked in the two way radio field rrom time to time.
By the way its almost impossible to solder to a car antenna cable, the interior is not at all like the usual coax cable and the antenna amplifier on the Honda would block mostof the signal from getting out, it is possible the allarm would screw uop the amplifier.

Andy

Quick Reply: antenna wire in the cabin-- where does it run to the rear of the car?