S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Electronics (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/)
-   -   Clairon under seat sub - review wanted (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/clairon-under-seat-sub-review-wanted-25499/)

RU2KREDY 08-22-2001 09:14 AM

Clairon under seat sub - review wanted

Anyone who has or has heard this have any comments on it? Does it really make enough difference, i.e. can a 6" sub move enough air to be heard / felt? I've got a Pinky Pioneer Elite head unit with Eclipse 6.5's in the door and 4's behind the seats. I'd like something to take the load off these drivers in the bass realm. I don't need to have someone two lanes over feel the rumble but I'd like to know it's there and it works. Every once and awhile I get a thwap sound from the 4" passenger driver from being overextended.

Thanks!

S2000inbigD 08-22-2001 10:58 AM

I'm also exploring all of my interior sub options. I did a search:https://www.s2ki.com/forums/search.php?acti...rder=descending

It looks like both "deadpedal" and "jallen1217" have this amp. I could not gather much from their posts, maybe they can jump in and give us some details? I hope they see this...

This also has me thinking...what about the 6.5 JL W0 subs. How well would a pair they work in the interior. They only require .175 cu ft of volume. Anyone w/ experience in 6.5 size subs?

thanks,

Will

Dinnyin 08-30-2001 03:33 PM

The Clarion slim-line, self contained subs are nice... for what they are. I had one in my MR2 Spyder (b4 it was stolen, which is why I now have an s2k).

It puts out resonably well (long chamber) but is easily blown, so don't push it. You can definately hear the difference, though, when you hook it up.

It just provides some bass fill, it won't rattle the windows.

Be sure to get a new one under warranty in case you blow it out.

dinnyin

elviscos 09-01-2001 06:20 PM

I like my clarion sub under the drivers seat. Actually a bit too much bass, even with memphis components and cadence amp(over the gas tank). Nothing in the trunk! Just can't move the seat up all the way.

prm99v6 09-02-2001 01:41 PM

I sell this clarion sub at my store and have done several of them in s2ks including mine. If the gain on the sub is on anything above 1/2 or starts to distort but the difference it made in the overall system was incredible. However I would use the marine verison it has a 160 watt amp as opposed to the car one that has a 100 watt amp and they cost (dealer cost) the same. I only had the car one in stock when I put mine in. It sticks out from under the seat halfway but it does not really impeed the movement of the seat. I will be removing mine however to put a 8 in solobaric in a ported inclosure in the hidden comp. in the the truck. good luck

verone24 09-16-2001 02:39 PM

any other good brands out there?

cajun_mike 09-16-2001 02:56 PM

My other vehicle is a 2000 Honda Odyssey and I have the Clarion sub underneath my front passengers seat while I have the Clarion CD changer underneath the drivers seat. The little sub does a very adequate job for a 6 inch driver. The box is not much bigger than a CD changer. The rest of the system includes Cerwin Vega 6 1/2's upfront and 4 inchers in the rear pillar.

Not only did Honda put a lousy system in the S2000 but they also did it in the Odyssey. Who in the hell puts 4 inch speakers in the rear of a vehicle? Honda needs someone in their design meetings with some sense when it comes to audio equipment.

Siper2 09-17-2001 12:05 AM

I don't know... an under-the-seat subwoofer would probably freak me out! :D

saxman 09-17-2001 12:38 PM

I really like this whole idea... I imgaine that you'd probably feel it far more than you would actually hear it... anyone know where I can order one of these online? I checked crutchfield and ebay and neither of them had it... how hard is it to wire into your head unit? what does it take? thanks

prm99v6 09-17-2001 08:23 PM

the unit itself accepts both speaker level inputs and rca level inputs. You would either have to tag your speaker leads with a hi to low line level converter and use rca's or tag them and run them down to the sub. Be advised that the top of the unit will get scratched up but you dont see it anyway. I am actually thinking of scraping the idea of solo barics and putting another unit under the passenger seat. I have an eclipse amp mehind the drivers seat with boston seperates in the doors. The difference over stock is huge and once i put 4's in the back and another sub in, the only thing missing is my dvd player, gps, and 7" screen. Keep in mind that I am currently using the stock head unit. Go to a local clarion dealer to find the sub, or I can ship one to you, (you pay shipping of course).