S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Electronics (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/)
-   -   DIY: Ipod adapter install (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/diy-ipod-adapter-install-778339/)

Zer0ne 04-01-2010 06:39 PM

DIY: Ipod adapter install

13 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, I got tired of carrying CD's around with me since there isn't much room in the car to begin with, so I decided to get an ipod adapter. I don't plan on upgrading my stereo system cause I'm not that much of a sound junkie and I like the stock look. I also wanted it to be hidden. Here's my install:

First thing was unhooking the battery and removing the center console cover
Attachment 117681

I drilled a hole in the bottom left corner of the back of the glovebox and put the smaller end of the ipod cable through it. Removing the spare tire and lifting the foamy material towards the cabin, you will see the back of the glovebox with the hole, I pulled the cable to give it lots of slack.
Attachment 117682

The next part was tricky, if you have a wire coat hanger or fishing tools, it would be easier. I pulled 4 or 5 paperclips straight and twisted them together. Underneath the power outlet, there are two screws, take those out and pull up on it until the middle clip pops out so you have some room to fish the wire from the trunk. Once you get it into the cabin you're basically home free.
Attachment 117683

Gotcha!
Attachment 117684

After this it's just routing the cable through the tunnel underneath the console. I pulled the foam from around the shifter and put it through there as you can put the wire into the radio compartment through there.
Attachment 117685
Attachment 117686
Attachment 117687

There is a little black box that comes with it that all the wires connect to, I had to find a place for that as it wouldnt fit behind the radio. I pulled the passenger side cubby bins from under the dash and stuffed it there. The wires were easily routed into the radio compartment from behind there.
Attachment 117688
Attachment 117689

Can't see sh!t captain!
Attachment 117690

Put everything back together, hook up your battery, put in your radio code and enjoy!
Attachment 117691
Attachment 117692
Attachment 117693

The stock radio controls still work with this

I now have the modifry glovebox organizer and the bottom space is for the ipod, it's very clean :thumbup:

Thanks for reading! :tipwink:

Zer0ne 04-02-2010 08:37 PM

A grommet would be good, with the glove box organizer i cant even see the hole anymore.

I got the isimple kit from best buy

R Legend 04-04-2010 07:54 AM

I"ve done the same recently. Picked up a .5" rubber grommet from Home Depot for .35 cents

gospeedgo1 04-04-2010 09:21 AM

i used the Peripheral brand piece, was going to buy the USA spec locally but did not work when i tested it in my car, they probably did not have the dip switches in the right order. i placed the box under the radio behind the SRS box (silver with yellow box in 5th picture) and ran out the cable to the passenger side. no need for holes to be drilled or excess work with routing wiring. nice DIY thou. :thumbup:

Ryans2kGPW 04-04-2010 09:30 PM

nice DIY.
Can you tell me how to take out the passenger bin ?

Zer0ne 04-04-2010 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ryans2kGPW,Apr 4 2010, 09:30 PM
nice DIY.
Can you tell me how to take out the passenger bin ?

Right in the middle in the top of the bin is a screw, remove that. Then on both left and right sides there are 2 clips, push the middles in and then remove them. After those 3 are out, just pull it straight out toward the passenger seat, takes a little muscle but it'll come out fine

jonner 04-05-2010 02:36 AM

Nice job..... :thumbup: