S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Double-Din compatibility - shallow-depth units

Old 06-21-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double-Din compatibility - shallow-depth units

Sorry, I realize that this subject has pretty much already been beaten to death on here but in the sea of countless threads in regards to double-dins, I can't seem to find the answer that I'm looking for. I know that if you want to install a double-din head unit into the dash, there is a lot of modification involved such as cutting the air-ducts, moving some other parts around but I was reading in another thread about how this is necessary because there is only about 3-inches of space between the dash and the air-ducts. I wanted to see if someone can verify this information for me, it's hard to tell from the pictures I've been seeing.

The reason I ask is because I want to install a head unit that has CarPlay without ruining the functionality of the car and luckily I was able to find that Alpine just released their iLX-W650 "ultra-shallow" system earlier this year. It does so by sacrificing the CD player but I don't really care about that. They're claiming that it's depth is only about 2.4 inches (I'm assuming from the screen panel). I know that the OEM Honda bezel creates a small amount of recess into the dash already so I'm wondering if this will even fit (again, without additional modification).

Here's a link to the unit, it's fairly cheap for what it's offering: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...&fromlanding=1
Old 06-21-2019, 01:40 PM

EDIT: I just took a look at the product page, and it actually only measures 2" from the unit's front bezel/display panel: https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/a...-auto-ilx-w650
Old 06-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

The issue with a double DIN is height, we just don't have it available. If you remove the vents above the radio opening that would probably give you the space you need. Best way to check is take your car apart and measure, I wouldn't rely on second hand info on this one.

The new Alpine unit is nice, if we had the space readily available I'd probably go for it, but knowing the work required would put me off, plus I like the vents above the radio a bit much to lose them.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:28 PM

Sorry, I meant that I was going to be using the JDM double din bezel not the factory radio location. I believe that should be able to fit a 7" screen right?
Old 06-28-2019, 07:25 AM
Site Moderator

Oh, that changes everything if you're using the JDM bezel mount.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:04 AM

Yeah so I don't want to cut into my dash just to see how much space I have either and I don't think it'd be a good idea to take off the dash either because I probably won't be able to get an accurate measurement of how much space I'd have. Thank you for the help though, I appreciate it.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:05 AM
Site Moderator

Yeah, definitely don't cut first, that would be bad.

I think most of the guys who installed the JDM bezels are long gone from here, so asking questions to them would be futile unfortunately.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey S2RACKS, just wondering if you installed that head unit and if so, how did it turn out? Thanks!
Old 12-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had mine cut. but installed a custom mod Nexus Android tablet .
i can show some pictures when I get home .
The following users liked this post:
cj_in_seattle (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where them pics?

Quick Reply: Double-Din compatibility - shallow-depth units