S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Finally - Pics of my stereo

Old 02-20-2002, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally - Pics of my stereo

Here is a couple of pics of my stereo:

The headset - Alpine CDA-7876RB

The stacker - Alpine CHA-S624 (in the 'secret' compartment, where my OEM one was)

I don't have digital pics of the other stuff, but I also have the Alpine dash controls convertor, Focal Utopia 165Ws, and a PPI (Precision Power) 2 x 90w RMS amp.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:36 AM

Nice clean setup. I may do almost the exact same setup if my ribbon idea doesnt work.
Can you describe how and where you have your tweeters setup, as well as the PPI amp.
I assume you don't have a sub? How is the bass from the focal's?
Old 02-20-2002, 01:11 PM

The tweeters are basically at the bottom of the windscreen pillars (a pillar??) on the dash, mounted with some strong double-sided tape. Sounds dodgy, but they are held fairly firmly and do not move around.

In terms of the amp, it was a little too big to fit in the spare tyre, so I made up a circular board that sits in the top of the space saver (there is a little edge around the inside of the rim) and mounted the amp to the board and it sits inverted in there. I can still get my space saver out (a little more difficult, but still can do it ).

You are correct in assuming that I don't have a sub. Originally I thought that I would need it, but really didn't want to give up any boot/trunk space. I have the Focals mounted on some very thick mounts, and the bass from them isn't too bad (quite a bit better than I expected), so I never bothered to put a sub in. If I could find a decend sub that could fit in the cabin, such as under the seat, then I would be tempted to go with that, but would not give up boot space for it.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:06 PM

So you have the tweeters pointed up at the windshield at the bottom of the A-Pillar? Did you try aiming the tweeters at the passenger compartment by mounting them ON the A-pillar instead? Just curious...

I haven't spent much time thinking about the location to install the amp, your solution sounds reasonable although I would prefer to setup the amp under the seat (if possible). Ventilation and sheer space are clearly a concern. I'm also curious if you demoed the 165K series. I am not sure I want to foot the bill for the 165W...are they way better?
Old 02-20-2002, 02:32 PM

I have used the angular mounts that came with the Utopias, and have angled them so that the drivers side tweeter points at the passenger, and the passenger's side tweeter points at the driver (as per the recommendation in the manual that came with the speakers).

When I got the amp I wanted to mount it under the seat too, but there really isn't much room for an amp that is of a decent size (and power rating). I am happy that the amp is getting enough ventilation where it is, and have not had any issues with it overheating and cutting out. If you were to see my boot/trunk, you would never even know the amp is there - it looks totally stock.

In terms of the other Focal speakers, I did have a little bit of a look at the 165Ks (from memory the Poly Kevlar (yellow ones)). I haven't heard them in an S2000, but did hear them in an Audi. The owner thought that the "highs were a bit too high", if that makes sense. He said that he was tempted to get the tweeters that came with the Utopias instead. This was enough to convince me to just go for the best ones in the first place...
Old 02-20-2002, 02:51 PM

Yep, I have heard the 136Ks in a friends car. Same tweeters I believe.
I like the focal woofers, they are great for a car because they have a very forward, detailed sound. Part of the reason they have decent bass is because the Qts on the woofers is about .65. They only woofers I have seen with a higher Q are the Dynaudios...which are about .75 in the 4 ohm variety. The higher the Q the better for a car because its an indication that there is more resitance to cone movement when the woofer is not "properly loaded." (ie. properly aligned in a cabinet) This is what you want for a car door. I am not crazy about the tweeters either, which is why I am looking into other solutions. They are very detailed, bright, and sharp sounding. Although in my opinion MUCH better than 99.99999% of other car tweeters out there.

Bear in mind, by the way, that Focal's crossovers are pretty junky. I am sure there are improvements that can be made in that area. For instance, I don't think they have impendance correction and I also don't think they use particularly high quality indicators, capacitors and resistors.

I will need to go check out the Utopias, I am sure they are good, just not sure I can justify the cost for the car. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:20 AM
mas

I have the 165Ks and I like them. I tried the utopia as well but the sound difference did not justify for the price difference. The tweeters are bright for sure but you can tune them. I'm using a resistor and it works perfectly. The other thing I found is the tweeters are very sensitive to how/where you install them. They don't really like the door location unless you put some sound deadning material behind them.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alister
[B]In terms of the other Focal speakers, I did have a little bit of a look at the 165Ks (from memory the Poly Kevlar (yellow ones)).