S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Electronics (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/)
-   -   Headunit Suggestions (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/headunit-suggestions-1168235/)

S2005x 01-23-2017 03:43 AM

Headunit Suggestions

Hi everyone!

Recently moved back into an S2000, and looking to change a few of the previous owners decisions...

First and foremost, the headunit...

Red car. Orange/Red interior lights... BRIGHT BLUE radio display... :\ I hate it.

I'm looking for an average headunit. Nothing super fancy.

Here are a few things I really want:

* Red/White color lighting
* Ability to retain use of OEM radio controls (Left of Steering Wheel)
* Strongly prefer USB and Bluetooth

Thanks in advance!!! :D

Nitroturtle 01-23-2017 10:31 AM

I recently installed an Alpine UTE-62BT and it checks all your boxes. Display color can be fine tuned to just about any color you want. It does NOT have a CD player however. But it has USB and bluetooth and also works perfectly with factory controls with an added Modifry DCI.

Modifry Products 01-23-2017 01:28 PM

Thanks for the plug, but it's modifry, with an R. :)

Below are some notes I give to customers when they ask about head units. These are the top 3 brands that my customers buy which means I only know about S2000 owners that buy our DCI, but I think it's probably a good sampling. Note that I am NOT a head unit expert and don't sell head units, I just have some experience with different manufacturer's features and how they interface with our DCI product. You should understand that how the DCI works with a head unit is mostly controlled by the head unit - what commands they support and how those commands are "tied" to each other, such as one command that does Next Track or Next Preset station, depending on your source. Not all HU pair the commands the same way.

From what I've seen, Alpine has always had an excellent user interface, easy to set up and use, and no features that are annoying. Also, it has the best remote control setup for use with the S2000 dash controls. Most Alpine's Ive seen have a dedicated "ATT" wire (pink/black I think) that allows a pause function like the OEM Mute button. Many owners prefer that over a mute function that only lowers the volume. About 50% of my customers buy Alpine.

Kenwood is good but they arranged their remote control commands a little different than "industry standard" so when connected to the DCI it's not quite as perfect as Alpine. Plus, some of their newer head units don't have a "full mute" feature. Instead of stopping audio playback they just lower the volume so your music is still playing.

Pioneer is pretty popular also, but again I don't think any of them have a full mute, they just lower the volume. But they interface with the DCI and S2000 dash controls as well as Alpine so they are pretty easy to use in the car. However, they have one feature that drives me nuts - every time you do a remote control command the speakers beep. For some reason they think you need to be reminded you pressed a remote control button, which means it beeps whether you are using the factory hand-held remote or the dash controls. There is no way to shut off the feature, which is even more annoying if you elect to set up the "auto-volume" feature of the DCI (increases volume as you drive faster to keep up with road noise).

Nitroturtle 01-23-2017 01:39 PM

Whoops, totally typo'd that and left out the R. Good breakdown of the brands, I actually chose Alpine because I've always been very happy with their easy to use interface.

Halfassjack 01-23-2017 02:21 PM

Alpine cde-w265bt with modifry with the plug and play harness.

jzhu625 01-24-2017 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Modifry Products (Post 24140395)
Thanks for the plug, but it's modifry, with an R. :)

Below are some notes I give to customers when they ask about head units. These are the top 3 brands that my customers buy which means I only know about S2000 owners that buy our DCI, but I think it's probably a good sampling. Note that I am NOT a head unit expert and don't sell head units, I just have some experience with different manufacturer's features and how they interface with our DCI product. You should understand that how the DCI works with a head unit is mostly controlled by the head unit - what commands they support and how those commands are "tied" to each other, such as one command that does Next Track or Next Preset station, depending on your source. Not all HU pair the commands the same way.

From what I've seen, Alpine has always had an excellent user interface, easy to set up and use, and no features that are annoying. Also, it has the best remote control setup for use with the S2000 dash controls. Most Alpine's Ive seen have a dedicated "ATT" wire (pink/black I think) that allows a pause function like the OEM Mute button. Many owners prefer that over a mute function that only lowers the volume. About 50% of my customers buy Alpine.

Kenwood is good but they arranged their remote control commands a little different than "industry standard" so when connected to the DCI it's not quite as perfect as Alpine. Plus, some of their newer head units don't have a "full mute" feature. Instead of stopping audio playback they just lower the volume so your music is still playing.

Pioneer is pretty popular also, but again I don't think any of them have a full mute, they just lower the volume. But they interface with the DCI and S2000 dash controls as well as Alpine so they are pretty easy to use in the car. However, they have one feature that drives me nuts - every time you do a remote control command the speakers beep. For some reason they think you need to be reminded you pressed a remote control button, which means it beeps whether you are using the factory hand-held remote or the dash controls. There is no way to shut off the feature, which is even more annoying if you elect to set up the "auto-volume" feature of the DCI (increases volume as you drive faster to keep up with road noise).

any promotion running with your DCI?

Thaig 01-24-2017 10:25 PM

Halfassjack Hi

how do you like your alpine headunit. It looks good and everything but it shows dosen't fit honda s2000 car lol. I'm asking if it fits in well and do you have a picture and if the button rubs the door when you close it.

Thanks to everyone for the input

S2005x 01-25-2017 09:42 AM

Thank you all for your replies :D

I had a Modifry in my first S2000 with an Alpine. That was back in 2008ish

I was just curious if any newer radios had this feature built in :\

I'll probably end up going that route again though.

So far, the UTE-62BT is the only radio recommended that fit all of my check boxes... are there any others? Perhaps slightly cheaper radios?

Thanks again for all your replies! :D

Halfassjack 01-25-2017 12:24 PM

Looks and works great.https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...354792a69e.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...815e9e241d.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...dcac7c6af9.jpg

Maddog308 01-31-2017 05:25 PM

Is it the Alpine cde-w164bt? The Alpine cde-w265bt is a double DIN and wouldn't fit? The pictures appear to be the 164 not the 265, can you confirm?

I'm looking at the 164 in Amazon at $178.

Thanks!