S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Help with install of speakers - Focal IS 165's

Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with install of speakers - Focal IS 165's

Two hours now of trying to work this out and searching the internet, and I'm still stuck!! So, time to post...

Got some Focal IS 165 speakers. They have an integrated crossover. The instructions are shocking to say the least - literally, why did they even bother to waste the ink?!

Okay, so they come with:

Woofer

Tweeter (with wires coming from it)

One small "set of wires", with the crossover integrated into the middle covered in shrinktube: a + and - coming out of either side of the crossover. NB. one side has two male/female connectors, the other side bare wires, and on the side with the connectors, is a label saying "woofer".

Another "set of wires", this time with more shrinktubing, but the wires are longer, and a + and - coming out of one end, and TWO +'s and -'s out the other (one labelled car, one display, and the other is blank, which is negative. Car/display are both positive) - The side with 2 wires have male/female connectors, the side with 3 are all bare.. and on this bare side is another label, "tweeter"

Now - all searching I have done has brought me to people asking "which one do I use, the display, car etc. I know the answer to that - the instructions told me at least that much.

But where on EARTH, and HOW on Earth, do you wire these up to the speaker cables coming from the amp!? It just doesn't make sense at all and it's driving me nuts! It seems like there is "nowhere" for those cables to go! If I plugged the "woofer" labelled connectors into the woofer (which is a perfect fit!), and the 'plugs' on the set of wires with "tweeter" written on them into the connectors coming from the tweeter (which again, fit perfectly), then I'm left with 2 bare wires from each part (the woofer and tweeter, after following through the shrinktube/crossover etc) - and wtf am I supposed to do with those?? Where do I attach my speaker cables from the amp??

Hope this kinda makes sense - if anyone's installed these before then it'll probably make sense! ha

Thanks
Old 03-03-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Do you have pictures of this speaker setup? AFAIK, wiring should follow simple parallel connection to each component (woofer and tweeter). Such that, if you remove the connection to the woofer, the tweeter should still work. And vice-versa. You do not need to ground the speakers (via wiring or to metal portion of car).

The capacitor should be in series with the tweeter. See diagram. Ignore the midrange, as you do not have one.

Now, if the setup has a separate controllable crossover, the wiring maybe more complicated.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe this will help http://www.manualslib.com/manual/625...l-Iss-165.html

The display wire is for demonstration/shop (like when they have them on the walls).