S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

How to Mod your blinker relay for LED turn signals

Old 12-30-2003, 12:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there anything wrong with leaving it on "hyper-blink", meaning will it prematurely burn out the circuit?

I really don't mind the hyper-blink so long as it's not harmful.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by simons2k
Is there anything wrong with leaving it on "hyper-blink", meaning will it prematurely burn out the circuit?

I really don't mind the hyper-blink so long as it's not harmful.
Not really harmful as far as I can see.

Obviously the relay has a limited life of maybe a few million blinks and will wear out sooner if it blinks faster. And your light bulbs will probably have a shorter life too, since the startup shock is what usually kills them. But I don't think either of these is a serious problem. If you like being hyper, go for it.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks modifry, i was searching for "electronic" blinkers which don't have that problem when i ran across your post. as an electrical engineer, i have all the gear and will be performing the diode mod as soon as my led lights come in.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:38 PM
Former Moderator

Quick question....I will def. look into doing this....but...

did you actually test this with LEDs in your turn signals, or are you stating this based on your electrical knowledge?

I know you are an expert on this, just want to make sure its 100% before I do this.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:11 PM

i don't know if your question is for me or modifry, but in a week or so i'll test it out and verify my results (when all my led bulbs arrive).
Old 06-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Former Moderator

Question was for modifry...but I guess Ill wait for you to test it out.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:55 PM

No, I did not test it with LED's because I don't have any. (LED bulbs that is, I probably have a couple hundred LED's at the house)

I first tested the blinker relay to determine the threshold between slow blink and fast blink (3.5 amps), then made the mods to the relay to lower the threshold to less than one amp. Then I tested it with a resistive load to simulate low-current operaqtion to make sure it blinked correctly at currents of about 1 amp.

I did NOT test it with the diode fix. If you do the math, you'll see that the ".1 ohm fix" worked on currents of .8 amps and above, meaning the blinker circuit needs to see about .08 volts or more to blink slow (ohm's law E = I x R or volts = .8 amps X .1 ohms). Since the diode provides about .7 volts it is pretty much guaranteed to slow blink on any reduced-current load.

How much current will your LED lights draw?

Old 06-03-2004, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Modifry! I knew it was a matter of time before you looked into this. I had LED's on my car but removed them due to the fast blinking.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:08 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by modifry
Old 06-09-2004, 04:23 PM

i got my led bulbs in the other day but was only able to install the front blinker ones. so total i have led front blinkers and led sidemarkers, with the incandescent rear turn signals. i did the diode modification and it doesn't blink fast, but it also doesn't blink slow. i'd say it blinks about 50% faster than it did normally. i guess i'll have to throw some brain cells at it after all.

Quick Reply: How to Mod your blinker relay for LED turn signals