S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

i want better sound and I definitely want a sub

Old 07-04-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i want better sound and I definitely want a sub

I don't know anything about caraudio but I was in my friends s2000 the other day and his system was awesome, I could feel the bass thru the sub

I listen to drum and bass and the stock unit has no bass but the rest of the sound is ok for me

Can I upgrade the headunit to an alpine and run a sub off that without an amp? I think the stock speakers would be ok if I just turned the bass down on them and had the sub do that.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you cant run a sub off of just a head unit. it would be grossly under powered and not worth the screws holding it down. you will need an amp to power the sub. if all you're worried about is bass, than a sub will work well for you. if you want to be able to hear good quality full range music though, replacing the door speakers is a must. i just put a pair of polk db 651s in mine, and they sound great. im running about 40w to each of them, and they sound nice and clear and LOUD!

some of the other guys on here will be able to recommend a sub to you that will work. it might be helpful to give them some kind of budget so they recommend something that you'll be able to afford.

thanks
james
Old 07-04-2008, 12:01 PM

ok that helps me

I don't realy have a budget but I figured I could just do stuff piece by piece
I guess I should start with a new head unit then do an amp and sub then door speakers

whats the cheapest alpine headunit that will work with DCI and do the job?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:22 PM

probably best to check modifry.com to see what he says will work with his DCI. also, you dont want to cheap out too much and get a crappy headunit. i ended up getting a pioneer deh-4000ub for about 165, and its got all the features i need to make my system pleasing to me.

if it were me, i would do HU, door speakers, then sub, because almost any sub out there would way over power the stock speakers. i would also suggest buying a 4 or 5 channel amp so you can use it to power the speakers and the sub, so you get the best quality sound. one thing to keep in mind when doing that though is to make sure youre speakers are rated to work well with an amp that will also be able to give enough power to a sub.

thanks

james
Old 07-05-2008, 05:21 AM

that headunit looks good how is it when you plug a USB drive in?
Old 07-05-2008, 01:34 PM

i guess you mean the ipod. it works well. pretty easy to figure out the controls for it, and sounds nice. takes a split second longer to respond to the input from the remote, but other than that, works great! the unit comes with a USB cable thats about 3 feet long. i prefered to just buy the additional ipod adapter so i dont have to cart mine to and from the car. ive got it routed so that i can plug my ipod into the cable and let it sit in the pocket on the passenger side trans tunnel. really easy to do.

if your interested in that deck, let me know. before i got mine, i found it for about 30 bucks cheaper, but decided to pay more for the ease of ordering, since i was ordering everything else from the same place.

let me know if you need anything else!

james