S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Electronics (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/)
-   -   iPod hookup anyone? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/ipod-hookup-anyone-42405/)

tosca 01-14-2002 01:28 PM

iPod hookup anyone?

Anyone hooked up an iPod to the stock S2K stereo?

If so - is there an input on the back or something?

dshea 01-14-2002 07:02 PM

There's no input in the back. One way is to use a battery powered portable RF modulator you can get from CompUSA. But the signal will only be as clean as the tuner's.

bshigeta 01-14-2002 07:26 PM

ya, and it sucks, tried the irock fm transmitter from compusa, and the soundfeeder one, while irock has only 4 stations to choose from, while the soundfeeder has several ranges you can dial through, however, the signal output is weaker on the soundfeeder even with the extendable antenna, and in l.a. there's music on all the stations, so every now and then your music cuts out and you get some other station's crap, if you have ipod, you have itunes, and i would recommend just burning straight to cd, defeats the purpose of having an ipod, but until i get an aftermarket stereo, i'll be doing that, and if you want to try it for yourself, i'll sell the transmitters i have

Tedster 01-17-2002 04:08 PM

I've been considering getting an iPod and probably a new head unit with an aux input. Good to get the feedback that the FM transmitters don't work well enough; some iPod owners seem to like them OK.

robertbrite 01-25-2002 09:18 PM

i second that, all FM MODULATORS SUCK BY DEFINITION.
this is actually a fact.
the signal is sent threw radio waves.
even a very top of the line radio only has a signal to noise ratio of no more than 70 of FM band.
compare this with the 90 and up signal to noise ratio of cd's and the 60-70 ratio for tapes--- i think you see what i mean. might as well be listening to tapes, which while nostalgic, isn't such a great way to hear your music rather than fuzzz.
it's why i cry when people i know fm modulate a cd changer to save $10.

JonasM 01-26-2002 06:26 AM

The only way I've found to get decent reception with an FM Modulator is to run the unit's antenna out of the car and wrap it around the antenna (you have to get outside the car - the radio is pretty much shielded from transmissions inside the car - of course I don't have my S2000 yet, so it will be different with a convertible). Or, if you can make an adapter to get the unit's antenna wire directly connected to the inner wire of the antenna lead on the radio, that's the best method. You still have to deal with limited selection on the frequencies, but when you find a free one, it's pretty solid. I'm not enough of an audiophile that I expect my car sound to be as good as at home, so it's normally sufficient.

I suspect I'll be looking into a head unit with an AUX input for my Nomad Jukebox for the S2000.....

JonasM

Silkk 08-11-2005 03:16 PM

This video is of an install of a S2000 :thumbup:

TommyDeVito 08-11-2005 05:52 PM

FM modulator's blow ass IMHO. I use a digital connection for an IPOD connection and my XM tuner (IP BUS via Pioneer). If you want sound quality, don't use a FM modulator.

Silkk 08-11-2005 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Silkk,Aug 11 2005, 03:16 PM
This video is of an install of a S2000 :thumbup:

oops

here it is http://www.cartv.com/content/research/chan...r_Tip/pagenum/1

BlueDevil34 08-12-2005 05:17 AM

Neo ion (mp3yourcar.com) is pricey ($200), but a great option if you want to keep your stock HU. It plugs into your changer port on one end, and the dock connector on the other. Clean audio, charges the ipod, and you get basic navigation (FF/Rew/Vol) through the headunit and dash. Another option is Dension Icelink.

A cheaper option is an aux-pod or PIE adapter (well under $100) which is a simple changer port to minijack aux in adapter. No charging or HU controls, but you have compatibility with other music players.

Sound quality of stock HU vs. aftermarket is another debate for another thread, but I'm very very happy with the SQ on my stock HU with the neo. I have it mounted with the proclip mount and almost never open the radio door anymore.