S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

No sound after disconnecting aftermarket amp

Old 02-23-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound after disconnecting aftermarket amp

My car came with an OEM stereo, but a Alpine aftermarket amp and sub in the trunk. I removed everything aftermarket and sold it. Since then, my radio does not work. Gets power but no sound comes from the oem door speakers. I believe the door speakers used to work before but they just don't work anymore.

any advice? The attached picture shows what the connections look like to the OEM head unit.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:19 PM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

In the OEM setup, output from the headunit goes through the green/yellow(+) & gray/red(-) wires
to the driver's speaker, and the green/black(+) & light green(-) wires to the passenger's speaker.
When you add an external amplifier, you need to route signal from the headunit to the amplifier, and
then from the amplifier to the speakers. The signal can be either "high level" (from the headunit's
speaker outputs) or "low level" from the headunit's preamp through special outputs. The OEM headunit
does not have these low-level outputs, so the speaker wires were likely tapped into somewhere to send
the signal to the amplifier. Next, the amplifier needs to send output to the speakers, which can be done
either by running new wires directly into the doors, or connecting them to the original speaker wires.
Ideally the installer makes these connections using an adapter harness that plugs in between the
headunit and its light blue connector so no factory wires are cut, but it doesn't look like that was
done - the oversized blue wire does not belong there, and it's not clear what's happening under
the electrical tape.
If you still have wires running to/from where the amp was you may be able to figure out how it was
hooked up.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for the awesome reply!

So in the trunk I located the wires that I cut (its been two years). I will simply try to reconnect the colors you mentioned to each set of wires and hear for any sound out of the door speakers.

Keep you posted.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:27 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Those heavy-guage wires in the second picture are definitely speaker wires, and since one goes off to the
left and one goes off to the right they almost certainly go directly into the doors, replacing the (thin) OEM
wires You'll have to figure out which of those purple, green, and white wires are the drivers(+), drivers(-),
passengers(+), passengers(-) and splice them to the appropriate big speaker wires. The red would usually
be +12v, probably an amp turn-on wire (unneeded now), and probably the four other wires are connected
to the rear speaker outputs and were used for the sub.