S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Parasitic draw - What are the more common culprits?

Old 02-09-2019, 02:46 PM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Watch the video again, you just did half the work. Start pulling fuses until the amperage drops -- the draw is on that circuit.

Tell us what circuit it's on and we may have hints.

If you have an alarm not installed at the factory in Japan I'm betting that's it. Not factory installed.

-- Chuck
I know, as I mentioned we have a series of storms hitting the area and I only had like a 15minutes window to do this draw test.

It's not the alarm, shop I brought to earlier already ruled that out.

I hope it's something non-essential and easy to disable, like my useless cigarette outlet, which doesn't work anyways.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 PM

I have some updates for y'all. Not as drastic as I would have hoped, but an update nonetheless:

As you recall, my car was drawing close to ~78mA of current when it's off, with 50mA at the upper limit of what is deemed acceptable, I'd say this is significant:

After removing the 30A "BackUpAcc" fuse from main engine bay fuse box, it dropped to ~59mA:

Removing the interior lighting fuse of 7.5A resulted in ~65mA, roughly ~12mA decreased:

Removing the interior lighting fuse and the "back up" fuse from the interior fuse box led to a further drop to about ~62mA:

So, obviously, my interior lights are drawing a current. so I've pulled the fuse out and for now, the car just won't have any dome lights.

I'm not sure what the "BackUpAcc" from the engine bay fuse box does, I've tried googling it but I can't find a conclusive answer. I keep reading that the BackUpAcc fuse is linked to the interior fuse box. Which will kind of make sense. Because when I removed all 3 fuses in questions, BackUpAcc (engine bay) + Interior Light + Back Up (interior fuse box), the current WILL NOT drop below 55mA. Which could be accomplished by removing the BackUpAcc fuse alone.

Here's my situation as of now:
BackUpAcc fuse from the enigne bay - Can't remove as it is linked to the interior fuse box
Back Up fuse from the interior fuse box - Can't remove as it functions to back up the ECU and etc.
Interior Light fuse - Removed

Side note, this is an interesting observation. My cigarette lighter outlet does not work, so I went ahead to remove the accessory socket fuse even though it's not a source of the draw. But guess what? Removing the accessory socket fuse kills my radio.

As of now, I will have to live with ~65mA of drain. I'm sure my Viper alarm adds to it. But the shop has already swapped the unit with another one, and saw no changes. So, I'm stuck with ~65mA of drain for now.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

The BackUpAcc fuse (#54 in the under-hood fuse box) powers fuses 22-27 in the under-dash fuse box, so removing
24 & 25 at the same time does nothing additional, as you noted.
Some of those fuses are supposed to have current draw (#22 to maintain radio presets and #26 keyless entry) so I think
your real problem lies in the 55mA not accounted for by removing #54.
If you haven't actually pulled the fuse for the alarm to test, I would, regardless of what the shop told you.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by oth
The BackUpAcc fuse (#54 in the under-hood fuse box) powers fuses 22-27 in the under-dash fuse box, so removing
24 & 25 at the same time does nothing additional, as you noted.
Some of those fuses are supposed to have current draw (#22 to maintain radio presets and #26 keyless entry) so I think
your real problem lies in the 55mA not accounted for by removing #54.
If you haven't actually pulled the fuse for the alarm to test, I would, regardless of what the shop told you.
Where would the alarm fuse be? I've never had a car with an alarm before (didn't believe in them, still don't, but S2000's are a hot commodity among thieves).
Old 02-11-2019, 08:02 AM
oth

alas that's not my area of expertise. If you know where the alarm controller is, you can follow the
wires to a good disconnection point (doesn't need to be the fuse). Otherwise, there are some alarm
installers in this forum who can hopefully point you in the right direction.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:15 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

We're back to where we started. If you think you need an aftermarket alarm you have to accept it's gonna pull current all the time. In this case like the radio memory and remote entry it's not "parasitic" like those non-deliberate draws like the trunk light stuck on, etc.

Would a small solar panel help while you're out of town and the car stays home?

-- Chuck
Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
We're back to where we started. If you think you need an aftermarket alarm you have to accept it's gonna pull current all the time. In this case like the radio memory and remote entry it's not "parasitic" like those non-deliberate draws like the trunk light stuck on, etc.

Would a small solar panel help while you're out of town and the car stays home?

-- Chuck
No, so I still think the battery itself from Costco was suspect. So what I'm going to do is to get a replacement through warranty this weekend.

I may have to deal with the alarm since this car will be parked outside 100% of the time. If I go on a trip for more than 5 days, I'll just disconnect the battery.

So, just curious, why does pulling my Accessory Socket fuse kill the stereo as well? Haha.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:57 AM
oth

the headunit uses two sources of power - one unswitched (#22) to preserve settings, and one switched (#9) so the headunit turns off
when the car is shut off. This has fooled many people when they've checked only one of the fuses when their headunit suddenly
wouldn't turn on.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 AM
oth

You may want to install a
battery disconnect switch battery disconnect switch
, but seems like it would defeat the purpose of having an alarm
in the first place!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I'm thinking something like this
Solar Charger Solar Charger
to keep the battery charged. 12" x 5" will fit on the dashboard. Just lay it on top of the dash. Will need to be wired direct to the battery (there's a connector under the dash that's hot all the time).

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Parasitic draw - What are the more common culprits?