S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Parasitic draw - What are the more common culprits?

Old 02-11-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

What type of alarm did you have installed? I had a Viper 3305V installed. The tech put an inline fuse, under the electrician's tape (next to yellow arrow). I believe it is inline with the red wire going to constant hot source.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'm thinking something like this Solar Charger to keep the battery charged. 12" x 5" will fit on the dashboard. Just lay it on top of the dash. Will need to be wired direct to the battery (there's a connector under the dash that's hot all the time).

-- Chuck
Thanks, so I usually park the car Sunday night, and it doesn't get fired up again until Friday afternoon at the earlier. So far it's been fine (although the Friday start is not all that enthusiastic).

My plan for now is just unplug the battery when I know I'll be for more than 5 days.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

New battery may work better for a while. As others have pointed out your plan to disconnect the battery defeats having the alarm.

I'm considering a lil' solar panel like this for a car that sometimes goes a couple of weeks without being driven in the summer.

-- Chuck
Old 02-11-2019, 01:29 PM

New battery may work better for a while. As others have pointed out your plan to disconnect the battery defeats having the alarm.

I'm considering a lil' solar panel like this for a car that sometimes goes a couple of weeks without being driven in the summer.

-- Chuck
I completely overlooked and misread everyone's messages... That's what you meant earlier by back to square 1... Haha

Well f**k. Hahaha, Ok I will find a solution then.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
What type of alarm did you have installed? I had a Viper 3305V installed. The tech put an inline fuse, under the electrician's tape (next to yellow arrow). I believe it is inline with the red wire going to constant hot source.

I will have to look again soon. It is a Viper alarm and it was installed by the previous owner. (Shop did say it was professionally done when I first brought it into a shop).

Is there anyway I can check for the model number either on the Viper key fob, or on the black Viper alarm module? (Without having to take it all apart)
Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 PM

My Viper's key fob is model 7345V. If that helps.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:52 PM

Sunday night, I parked the car. Fast forward Friday afternoon, I decided to check the battery after sitting for ~5 days.

This battery is basically done for. I'm starting to think I had a bad battery to start with from Costco...

Old 02-15-2019, 05:21 PM

Well, it looks like either a bad battery. Or a healthy sized parasitic current draw. Or worse... a little of both.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:53 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The car will probably start with this voltage but not if it gets too much lower.

The battery was probably fine. Past tense. Sticker shows 10/18. Expect a new one to last to May before it's been killed.

Starting batteries are not designed for the abuse (sorry, that's what it is) you're inadvertently subjecting it to. You only get a very few "dead" battery events with starting batteries before they're toast. Ain't their fault.

Car alarms are accidentally tripped for no reason so frequently that no one responds to them. Please consult Aesop's Fables for technical details.

Possible solutions to retain the alarm or starting function:

1. PriorityStart module on the battery will cut the battery when voltage gets too low. Lose alarm function when that happens but you can start the car.

2. Solar charger on the dashboard (previously mentioned).

3. 12vDC "Marine" dual purpose battery in lieu of the OE-type will survive more deep discharges if you can find one that fits. Not sure if a true deep cycle battery has enough current to start the car but that's all I use with my Honda outboards. Maybe a standard marine Group 24 deep cycle battery in the trunk with a OFF-1-BOTH-2 switch to just use the deep cycle to power the alarm when the car isn't running.

-- Chuck
Old 02-16-2019, 09:22 AM

The car will probably start with this voltage but not if it gets too much lower.

The battery was probably fine. Past tense. Sticker shows 10/18. Expect a new one to last to May before it's been killed.

Starting batteries are not designed for the abuse (sorry, that's what it is) you're inadvertently subjecting it to. You only get a very few "dead" battery events with starting batteries before they're toast. Ain't their fault.

Car alarms are accidentally tripped for no reason so frequently that no one responds to them. Please consult Aesop's Fables for technical details.

Possible solutions to retain the alarm or starting function:

1. PriorityStart module on the battery will cut the battery when voltage gets too low. Lose alarm function when that happens but you can start the car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM-blfOvr_4

2. Solar charger on the dashboard (previously mentioned).

3. 12vDC "Marine" dual purpose battery in lieu of the OE-type will survive more deep discharges if you can find one that fits. Not sure if a true deep cycle battery has enough current to start the car but that's all I use with my Honda outboards. Maybe a standard marine Group 24 deep cycle battery in the trunk with a OFF-1-BOTH-2 switch to just use the deep cycle to power the alarm when the car isn't running.

-- Chuck
Well, hopefully the replacement battery won't actually die, I don't have another 2 weeks vacation in the near future.

However, I still think some of the Interstate batteries from Costco are suspect. Even the 1 week old battery on my Mazdaspeed 3 only registered 12.5 volts / 90% charge according to your chart. Unless that's within acceptable industry standard range for a new battery?

Quick Reply: Parasitic draw - What are the more common culprits?