S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Parasitic draw - What are the more common culprits?

Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm going to say this one more time, just measuring voltage without knowing the electrical load will tell you nothing.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Stop blaming the battery. It's the current being constantly sucked out of the battery that's killing it. And you've determined that's the draw from the (unnecessary) aftermarket car alarm. But if you insist buy a "premium" battery and subject it to the same abuse.

The Mazda battery at 12.5vDC ain't fully charged but that's a normal drop after a week. Batteries self-discharge and don't forget that car also has things connected to the battery all the time -- as does every car in the past couple of decades with remote locks and radio memory. In my small travel trailer the battery won't last more than 2 or 3 weeks before it's dead. There a LP detector wired directly to the battery as well as the memory for the radio. Draw there is in the 150ma range, even higher than yours. In this case, however, I merely switch the battery disconnect to Off when I leave it.

I've personally used the PriorityStart on three (3) different Ford SUVs (which are notorious for dead batteries the way I use the vehicles). They last a couple of years before they themselves fail but will keep enough power in the battery to start the car. I kept the radio stations handy in those SUVs as I needed to reset them when this happened.

Flanders is correct that even a battery that shows a good voltage (charge) may fail to start the vehicle. Load tester (previously mentioned) is maybe $20 at Harbor Freight or Amazon. They all seem to be made in the same PRC factory with different stickers on them. But they'll just confirm what you already know: the battery is damaged beyond repair.

-- Chuck
Old 03-02-2019, 11:09 AM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Stop blaming the battery. It's the current being constantly sucked out of the battery that's killing it. And you've determined that's the draw from the (unnecessary) aftermarket car alarm. But if you insist buy a "premium" battery and subject it to the same abuse.

The Mazda battery at 12.5vDC ain't fully charged but that's a normal drop after a week. Batteries self-discharge and don't forget that car also has things connected to the battery all the time -- as does every car in the past couple of decades with remote locks and radio memory. In my small travel trailer the battery won't last more than 2 or 3 weeks before it's dead. There a LP detector wired directly to the battery as well as the memory for the radio. Draw there is in the 150ma range, even higher than yours. In this case, however, I merely switch the battery disconnect to Off when I leave it.

I've personally used the PriorityStart on three (3) different Ford SUVs (which are notorious for dead batteries the way I use the vehicles). They last a couple of years before they themselves fail but will keep enough power in the battery to start the car. I kept the radio stations handy in those SUVs as I needed to reset them when this happened.

Flanders is correct that even a battery that shows a good voltage (charge) may fail to start the vehicle. Load tester (previously mentioned) is maybe $20 at Harbor Freight or Amazon. They all seem to be made in the same PRC factory with different stickers on them. But they'll just confirm what you already know: the battery is damaged beyond repair.

-- Chuck
Just want to update the thread since I got a new battery, and especially since you asked me to "stop blaming the battery"

Old, questionable battery 5 days after sitting:

New replacement battery - 5 days after sitting

There's no doubt that my car is drawing a bit more current in its off state than average. But, the previous "new" battery was a massive point of failure to begin with.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:31 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Glad you got the situation, more-or-less, fixed. Need to run the car for a good 30-60 minutes on the freeway, to fully charge the battery. Then, see how the voltage drops over time.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Good for now and I hope it works out but let us know in 6 months -- or maybe two weeks. You're replacing the worn out part (battery) not stopping the cause of the wear. Starting batteries only get a small, finite number deep discharges before they're toast. This one is down to ~70% charge in 5 days. Not in the abuse category yet.

For curiosity I measured my 2.5 year old S2000 battery voltage a few minutes ago. No aftermarket alarm on my car. Measured 12.35vDC after sitting for 14 days. Same power loss as yours but took 3 times as long.

-- Chuck
Old 03-04-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Good for now and I hope it works out but let us know in 6 months -- or maybe two weeks. You're replacing the worn out part (battery) not stopping the cause of the wear. Starting batteries only get a small, finite number deep discharges before they're toast. This one is down to ~70% charge in 5 days. Not in the abuse category yet.

For curiosity I measured my 2.5 year old S2000 battery voltage a few minutes ago. No aftermarket alarm on my car. Measured 12.35vDC after sitting for 14 days. Same power loss as yours but took 3 times as long.

-- Chuck
My point was that the previously "new" battery from Costco was likely defective to begin with, and it didn't help the situation.