S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Electronics (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/)
-   -   Qube's Blue Dash Project - Stage II (pics, of course!) (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/qubes-blue-dash-project-stage-ii-pics-course-85914/)

DJ Qube 10-14-2002 06:56 PM

Originally posted by TepEvan
Possibly a dumb question... Can you replace the dash bulbs with piaa bulbs to make it brighter?
Not a dumb question. I'm looking into this, but not as my next solution. The stock bulbs run at 1.5 and 3 watts, if I remember correctly. Anything bright enough to make a good light source to work through a blue filter will generate significantly more heat, which will not be a good thing.

potfish 10-14-2002 11:38 PM

Originally posted by DJ Qube

I tapped into the stock bulb power, so the brightness controls work with the EL sheet just like they did with the OEM dash.

So is there some circuitry attached to the sheet then? Unless they've invented something new since I last worked with the stuff, EL runs off high voltage AC.

potfish

DJ Qube 10-15-2002 12:12 AM

Originally posted by potfish

So is there some circuitry attached to the sheet then? Unless they've invented something new since I last worked with the stuff, EL runs off high voltage AC.

potfish

The kit I got comes with a very compact 12volt DC to AC converter. It is separate from but attached to the sheet.

TepEvan 10-15-2002 07:10 AM

Originally posted by DJ Qube
Not a dumb question. I'm looking into this, but not as my next solution. The stock bulbs run at 1.5 and 3 watts, if I remember correctly. Anything bright enough to make a good light source to work through a blue filter will generate significantly more heat, which will not be a good thing.

You're one smart cookie (maybe even two smart cookies)! And thanks for making me not feel dumb :thumbup:

Aaric 10-15-2002 08:12 AM

another option would be to use LED's instead of bulbs - LEDs generate significantly less heat than bulbs, and some LEDs are very bright for the amount of power that they draw.

MacGyver 10-15-2002 02:31 PM

PM replied to :)

I ordered about 35 LEDs of different brightnesses, colors, viewing angles, etc. for an S2000 project that I just haven't had time to play with. Even the LEDs that crank out 9000 mcd only suck up about 20-30 mA, and generated heat is negligable (considerably less than a bulb).

White LEDs will cost you $3/piece, blue LEDs, while coming down in price, still cost >$3 (contrary to what my PM said). The white LEDs are roughly 2-3000 mcd, so bright enough for this app, but I'm not sure how few you can get away with.

Either way, even with my stock lighting I can't easily see the numbers when the top is down, the sun is behind me, and my sunglasses are on. If that problem can be solved with a replacement bulb/LED, I'm all over it.

DJ Qube 10-15-2002 03:37 PM

Ok, I talked to an EL expert. I think I have a solution that is going to work. I can safely add a 2nd inverter, effectively doubling the power to the sheet. This will result in 20-25% more brightness, which should be enough. I already ordered the inverter, and hopefully it will be here in time for me to put it in this weekend! Update to follow...:)

Asura 10-15-2002 03:47 PM

DJ Qube= S2000's most creative mod developer

MacGyver 10-16-2002 07:48 AM

Hmmmm, I would tend to question simply plugging in a 2nd inverter in parallel. The output is a high-frequency AC signal, and unless you get the phase matched between the two inverters, the power of one could (i.e., most likely) cancel the power of the 2nd. You need more juice to get a brighter panel, that's true, but this isn't the way to do it...you need a single inverter that can output a greater amount of juice.

S2kRob 10-16-2002 08:00 AM

I'm in like slim on this one!