S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Electronics (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/)
-   -   Recommended speakers!?straight drop in? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/recommended-speakers-straight-drop-904697/)

Carbon Blue 10-18-2011 07:14 PM

Recommended speakers!?straight drop in?

Hey guys I tried searching but cant seem to find what Im looking for. The background info is that Im a big OEM guy, but the sound system that comes on the s2k is a joke! I cant even hear anything cleanly without the speakers distorting when the top is down at 65mph. Ive had the head unit replaced (sony dsx-300)and while that made a big difference I still find myself cranking the hell outa the volume to hear the music cleanly while the top is down. Im looking for a straight drop in speaker that will help with my issue that requires no cutting or modifying whatsoever. Thanks for any info!

TPhong 10-19-2011 08:19 AM

Most entry level 2-way 6.5" speaker of almost any common brand should fit without modification to the basket. Just realize that an entry level 2-way probably won't sound that good. The only other option if you don't want to alter the basket, is to find a 1/2"-1" spacer and invest in at least a decent set of component speakers. You may want to do a search to see what kind of clearance you'll have with the door panel when using a spacer.

takeshi 10-20-2011 07:03 AM

I wouldn't expect much improvement without an amp. Even more efficient speakers are going to provide only marginal improvements.

S2000_916 10-20-2011 10:23 PM

I just purchased a deck and the polk db651s coaxial speakers. No amp. I've heard of people having pretty good results, but amp is only the true way.

Reckon 10-21-2011 05:30 AM

Not sure of a set of spearkers where you don't have to cut or modify the baskets. The newer speakers these days are a bit longer and thus usually require modification of the baskets, which is not a big deal at all (you can always order baskets from Honda and keep them put away for when you want to go back to 'stock').

A good HU and good set of speakers will make a good improvement over the stock system. Granted, an amp will do wonders, but my setup is lightyears better than the OEM setup and I have no issues with volume (heck, I only crank it halfway before it gets too loud, even with the top down). I think you will be pleasantly surprised by a good HU and a good set of speakers.

IIGQ4U 10-23-2011 12:33 AM

Honda does not sell the OEM speaker baskets individually or in pairs for that matter.

oth 10-23-2011 07:18 AM

Honda part# 39112-SM4-000, they call it "BRACKET, FR. SPEAKER SEAL" - list price $11.78 each.

IIGQ4U 10-23-2011 08:40 AM

Wow, I went to the (St)ealer looking for a set and they advised that Honda did not sell them separately. I thought that sounded odd.

Reckon 10-24-2011 05:53 AM

I find that there are quite a few dealers who are not good at finding parts of the S. I am lucky enough that the guy I deal with at my local Honda dealership not only knows enough about the S (as well as the rest of the Honda lineup), he also recognizes the fact that I am a repeat enough customer to do what he can to find what I need.

Carbon Blue 10-25-2011 03:35 PM

thanks for the input everyone