S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

It's 2015....good HU options with good Bluetooth?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's 2015....good HU options with good Bluetooth?

Like many that post in these forums, I am looking for your wisdom.

I am currently unfamiliar with the products on the market. Essentially, I have needs...
1. Bluetooth unit of high quality on calls and can stream pandora from phone
2. Has modify harness and PnP capability (I cannot solder for crap and I am electronically inept)
3. Retains functions of basic audio control on the dash.

Thank you in advance. I just have no idea of the quality and products out there and what meets these needs...essentially, if your goals were the above, and you were buying within a month, what would you be looking at?

ETA: hands free is a requirement for me living near Austin...otherwise it wouldn't be such an emphasis. I am pretty sure the current head unit is 8 years old...
Old 04-30-2015, 06:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the kenwood x798. It has all the features you're looking for. The Bluetooth seems good but I barely use it. I don't know how well Bluetooth will work for anything with top down driving. Do you have a hardtop?
Old 04-30-2015, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start at crutchfield and go from there. There are alot of good, affordable options these days and everything you want is almost standard. You will still need the Modifry DCI to retain dash controls (or one of the others in the market) and will need to look at the Modifry site to see which HU brands are compatible with the available PnP harnesses.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:34 AM

I have a soft top. Like the idea of a hard top as extra but I enjoy top down driving too much for the investment.

I am really wanting plug and play as the swap looks simple enough (so long as I don't have to do any soldering and the less splicing the better).
Old 04-30-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok same here lol top down is the way to go! My Bluetooth sounded good top down in the garage dunno how it would sound actually driving...As suggested you should start at crutchfield and go from there
Old 04-30-2015, 06:49 AM

Thanks for the info. Hopefully these are just plug and play with the harnesses.

I'm also considering getting the dash cut out and a screen mounted (I don't know if tablet or just a screen) so Bluetooth would need to be decent quality should that venture work out.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:55 AM

On the Crutchfield website, I entered in the information and it links two categories from what I can see...

One that says it fits and is in stock and a category that does not have the green check mark saying fits.

I assume this means those head units won't fit my car but why would they even be an option if it doesn't fit?

The most expensive head unit that has both fit and stock checked is an $89 head unit...

ETa: I figured out how to view more options.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:06 AM

Any single DIN deck should fit the space, just be aware that units with large buttons may interfere with the radio door.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:17 AM

I'm thinking about the Alpine CDE-HD149BT CD receiver if anyone has any experience with it and the radio door fitting closed (also ease of install with the harnesses for dash control).
Old 04-30-2015, 07:27 AM

As far as plug and play goes on the Alpine, this is the rear of the unit...can anyone tell me offhand if it would be an easy install? Easy considering I want the harness to retain function for the dash controls....

Quick Reply: It's 2015....good HU options with good Bluetooth?