S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

It's 2015....good HU options with good Bluetooth?

Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes, my Kenwood has more wires coming out the backside than that and it was easy to install. That is pretty basic. It has a antenna jack, a 3.5mm input, a usb, line outs for front/rear/sub and the wiring harness.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are all going to be about the same difficulty. They will all come with a wire harness that plugs into the back of the HU in that bottom right black pinned slot. The wire harness will have stripped leads.

You will need to acquire a wire harness that is specific to the s2000 (these differe from car to car hence why there is no universal adapter coming out of the head unit). Many vendors such as Crutchfield or Sonic Electronix will supply this complimentary with your order. Its basically the same thing as the one that comes with the head unit except the plug matches receptor behind the dash of your car. It will look like this

You will need to splice the matching wires of these two harnesses together (grab a pack of 18 gauge butt splices and a wire crimper). The wire colors dont necessarily match but there will be a wire out list that comes with the harness to tell you which wires go to which. If this sounds at all difficult I assure you its not and wont take you more than 10 minutes if you can read english and are not color blind. The wires are usually already stripped you just put the leads of the wires in each eand of the splice and smash the ends down with the crimp tool so the wires cant pull out. Wrap the wire plus splice with some electrical tape for extra security if you want. If you want to be pro about it solder the wires together and secure with heat shrink tubing. But the splices are really easy, work plenty fine, and my grandmother could do it. Should look like this after:

Plug one end into back of stereo, other end into harness connector behind dash. Plug in the antenna wire and run the USB wire somewhere convenient (I ran it under the center console and up into the glove box. Run the mic wire somewhere so that the mic is close to your head, usually up the driver side a pillar or on top of the steering column. Secure head unit into the dash cage and put it all back together.

As for head unit suggestions I *HIGHLY* recommend this unit which is compatible in price to the alpine you listed.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

The audio quality will be superior, has all the functionality you requested, and should you ever want to beef up the rest of the audio system (better speakers, an amp, etc) this head unit will offer better output voltages and will give you a 2way active frontstage with auto time alignment/EQ with independent L/R equalizers. I am unaware of any other all in one solutions that accomplish that without going to an independent DSP.

Hope this helps. Apologies for any typos or grammar as Im still waiting for morning caffeine intake to kick in.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:50 AM

I'm with Porgy, I also have that Pioneer unit and love it, though I'm still getting used to it. With the Modifry PnP harness and DCI it was a very straightforward install and retains all stock functionality and even adds some. The door clears the knob, but for me when pushing to open or close the cover it does depress the knob. Not a big deal, and since the dash controls still work I almost never open it anyway.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by matthugie
I'm with Porgy, I also have that Pioneer unit and love it, though I'm still getting used to it. With the Modifry PnP harness and DCI it was a very straightforward install and retains all stock functionality and even adds some. The door clears the knob, but for me when pushing to open or close the cover it does depress the knob. Not a big deal, and since the dash controls still work I almost never open it anyway.
I was able to recess the unit enough this didn't happen. Maybe if you have a day free you can loosen it up and push it back a hair. Should clear fine. Id snap a pic but Ive since swapped the unit out for a DEX-P99RS.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with the Alpine CDE-HD149BT to improve BT integration. Was using a separate module with the older Kenwood KDC-X991 wanted the frills of Pandora control, Alpine's Tune It app, etc. The Alpine HU works flawlessly with my older hardwired DCI-2 module after soldering on an audio plug for the Alpine style remote socket.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by PorgyS2K06
Originally Posted by matthugie' timestamp='1430416200' post='23596917
I was able to recess the unit enough this didn't happen. Maybe if you have a day free you can loosen it up and push it back a hair. Should clear fine. Id snap a pic but Ive since swapped the unit out for a DEX-P99RS.
It's on my list of things to do. I actually forgot to hook up the USB in the back so I need to pull it out again anyway, just haven't had the time lately.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want USB I would go for a unit with rear USB. It will limit your options as front USB seems to be more popular, but kind of useless because of the door in the S2000. I keep all my music on a USB drive so it doesn't take up all the space on my phone.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 PM

I stream music through pandora, I don't have music stored on my phone or anywhere else.

A cable that can charge my phone would be good though.

Honestly, I prefer the Alpine for the user interface.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 PM

I, too, have the Alipne CDE-HD149BT and I love it. No issues whatsoever and looks very clean, especially after color matching the display to the Amber interior lights.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HungryPaul
I, too, have the Alipne CDE-HD149BT and I love it. No issues whatsoever and looks very clean, especially after color matching the display to the Amber interior lights.
I have the 148bt. Initially, I wanted to go with the 149 but had bad luck with mechanical faceplates to feed CDs. Great HU but I get the occasional hiccup with bt connecting so I just detach the face and reinstall.

Quick Reply: It's 2015....good HU options with good Bluetooth?