S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Swivel mount for Iphone 3g?

Old 09-21-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swivel mount for Iphone 3g?

I recently installed an Alpine ida-x100 with the usb cable routed out the passenger side cargo net by the center console. I'm using the Modifry bracket and the Bracketron for my iphone 3g. However, when I connect the usb cable to my iphone, it interferes with my shifting. The cable is definetely in the way. I'm thinking some sort of swivel mount should fix this, as it can direct the cable to the right of my shifter. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's nice...
Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 PM
G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you considered routing your USB into the vent? That way you plug into it when you need it.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ncsu-tc,Sep 21 2008, 08:46 PM
have you considered routing your USB into the vent? That way you plug into it when you need it.
You mean the vents right above the deck? If so, the cable can't fit through. The usb plug is too fat to be wired through the vent.

I actually just found the the Proclip extended from center swivel mount. This plate/mount should be exactly what I need.

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=364...&p_leftorright=

will post an update on how everything works out when I install this.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:58 AM

I had the same problem when i mounted my iphone a couple of weeks ago. I ended up moving the mount to the right about 8 inches so the cable and everything cleared the shifter. Much better now. my mount does swivel, it is the pro.fit universal 2 mount. But turned on its side just wasnt cutting it. I had it turned for a few days until i finally just moved it.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 AM

That wire will easily fit through the vent... nothing a dremel couldn't fix in about 8 seconds...
Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by TDD_Shizzy,Sep 22 2008, 06:58 AM
I had the same problem when i mounted my iphone a couple of weeks ago. I ended up moving the mount to the right about 8 inches so the cable and everything cleared the shifter. Much better now. my mount does swivel, it is the pro.fit universal 2 mount. But turned on its side just wasnt cutting it. I had it turned for a few days until i finally just moved it.
how did you move the mount 8 inches to the right? Was it the modifry bracket?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 PM

This is what I did. You need:

Modifry 3" bracket
Modifry Nuvi ball
ProFit J stem / A plate kit
ProFit cradle (made just for iphone 3g)

Assemble these together and you will have swivel plus a 2" arm (if you decide to use it) to position the iphone wherever and at whatever angle you need it.
The only problem... the modifry bracket is too flimsy. With a direct mount this is not an issue. Once you add the swivel and especially if you also use the 2" arm, the iphone will spend alot of time shaking. This is not the ball mounts but from hanging the weight farther away from the bracket.
My solution... epoxy a piece of stiff plastic to the back of the bracket. No more problems except on the roughest of PA roads.

iphone cradle http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/applestuff
cradle plus J stem / A plate kit http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/accessories.html
Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 AM

ProClip's swivel mounts work really well with the Modifry (and others) bracket in my experience. You'd probably have a lot less shake/wobble than with the approach above.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 AM

Just pop the dash cluster trim bezel off, and run it behind the AC vent. A little notch in the trim should provide clearance for it to snap back in place without crimping the wire.

Run the USB from the back on the HU to the driver's footwell. From there, up behind the AC vent/controls. Pop the trim bezel out (the AC controls should come with it), slide USB cable up and through the hole between the bezel and the dash. Trim the bezel so it does not crimp the cable with a dremel/shears/electric drill. Snap trim back in place. Your USB should be coming out from around where you mounted the Modifry bracket.

Just pop the trim off like you did to install the bracket, and run the cable through the same way. You have obviously had it open once before, so it should not be that difficult.

John

Quick Reply: Swivel mount for Iphone 3g?