S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Electronics (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/)
-   -   System Finalized, Getting Installed Tomorrow (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/system-finalized-getting-installed-tomorrow-137959/)

Ajjra 07-24-2003 05:58 AM

I don't pick it up until Friday night. Long story, I live in NYC and this guy is in NJ and I have plans tonight, so I'm picking it up tomorrow. dropped it off last night and he is doing the install today. I hope it sounds as good as I'm expecting. If not, we'll all be talking head units soon :-)

PJK3 07-24-2003 07:57 AM

*crosses fingers*

let us know how it goes...

Ajjra 07-24-2003 08:00 AM

Just got a call from the installer. HUGE change of plans.

The Kicker compnents that fit in the door are 5 1/4", not the 6 1/2 so I am going with those so we can use the stock mounts. He also said there is a perfect spot for the crossovers and he wonders if Honda put them there on purpose. He suggested (now that he has the car to look at) a different amplifier. I am now getting the Alpine MRP-F240, which it a 40x4 but puts out 100x2 at 4Ohms when bridged. This amp fits under the driver's seat without affecting seat mobility :-)
Also, the price comes in $100 lower with these new parts. Comments?

PJK3 07-24-2003 08:17 AM

William did mention that the 5.25's dropped in w/o modifications... with a smaller set of midbass speakers (5.25 vs 6.5), you're going to probably want that sub sooner than you realize. the 6.5's should fit into the doors, but you'll probably have to have them make a spacer/adapter (an MDF spacer should work). if you plan to do a sub soon, the 5.25's should be fine, if you don't plan to do a sub, i'd consider sticking w/ the 6.5's.

the new Alpine amp doesn't appear to be a slouch, but it isn't the same caliber amp that the other is... still, all things considered, it probably isn't a bad choice for you. i'm not terribly familiar with the Alpine line (especially the non V-12 series), so i can't really tell you anything regarding sound quality. Alpine amps are typically good equipment though... i'm surprised to hear that it will fit under the seat though...

Ajjra 07-24-2003 08:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PJK3
[B]William did mention that the 5.25's dropped in w/o modifications...

mas 07-24-2003 08:23 AM

Didn't you alreday purchase the lucid speaker adapter? Even if not, the installer should be able to make a spacer (or use a $10 generic one ) and install the 6 1/2s. For this car, I'd strongly suggest you go with a 6.5.

Ajjra 07-24-2003 08:25 AM

Originally posted by mas
Didn't you alreday purchase the lucid speaker adapter? Even if not, the installer should be able to make a spacer and install the 6 1/2s. For this car, I'd strongly suggest you go with a 6.5.
He did say that he could make an adapter without a problem, but I opted for the smaller speakers.

PJK3 07-24-2003 08:27 AM

(note - i edited my other response above)

well, that leaves the space in the spare tire open for a sub amp. :thumbup:

and William's boxes are pretty non-intrusive to trunk space... i'm using one, and if you click on his sig above, you can check out his site for more info... he's also pretty flexible on getting various subs at good prices... for your system, a kicker solobaric 8" L5 or L7 would possibly be a good cost effective match... check with William, as i'm sure he'll have some good suggestions.

Ajjra 07-24-2003 08:33 AM

Assuming I went for one of these puppies, what kind of amps should I be looking at to power an 8"?

PJK3 07-24-2003 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Ajjra

He did say that he could make an adapter without a problem, but I opted for the smaller speakers.

depending on how long ago you talked to him...

i'd also encourage you to go w/ the 6.5's. this car loses a LOT of sound to the wind when the top is down... you're going to need all that you can get... and the 6.5's will give you noticably more bass. if you're saving money on this install, this isn't the place to do it...