S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Think my sub died. Buzzed then hasn't worked since

Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Started working again for some reason lol. Most likely on the way out but as of right now it is working!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it still under warranty? I haven't ever seen any Kappa subs blow without someone rediculously under-driving them with not enough power.

From your description, the VanGogh should be able to power it well, but maybe one of the voice coil leads has come loose underneath the center dust cap.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 AM
UCP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sobe_Death,Jan 13 2011, 03:05 PM
Is it still under warranty? I haven't ever seen any Kappa subs blow without someone rediculously under-driving them with not enough power.

From your description, the VanGogh should be able to power it well, but maybe one of the voice coil leads has come loose underneath the center dust cap.
I have to disagree entirely.

You will never blow a speaker by under powering it... NEVER.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Moddiction,Jan 7 2011, 05:30 PM
Don't really want to spend over $150 for a new sub. Seen infinity kappa sub for that much at best buy but if much better for same amount online would get that.
I would recommend either MTX or Kicker Pro Comp. I havnt ever had any problems with either brand. I have two 12" MTX subs I've had for 5 years and havnt had any probelms. about a year ago I got a Kick Comp VR and custom built a box for my jeep. My MTX's are 200w RMS each and 600 peak and my single 12" Kicker is 450w RMS and 800 peak.

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,Jan 12 2011, 02:02 PM
Then again, he pushes on the sub and it starts working no problem, then cuts out after he lets off, its defenitly something inside of the sub that is screwed up.
Oh, Yeah thats definately not a fuse. Make sure the inside of the box is clean. The magnet on the sub might react to medal shavings and such if there are any in there. I bet it just blew, Its hard to get the right amount of power to the sub with different brand amps than subs, they seem to be rated differently. Too much power = blown sub, too little power = blown sub.
Although under powering does no harm to the speaker itself, It can cause Amplifier clipping. If its under powered and you have the gain high and/or the bass booster high, which alot of people do to try and compensate for lack of power, then thats where you have the clipping which CAN and WILL cause the subwoofer to blow. So, underpowering a sub can cause damage.

1.)How many Watts is your subwoofer RMS and is it 2 or 4 Ohms?
2.)How many Watts is your amplifier RMS and is it 2 or 4 Ohms? Bridged and not bridged.
3.)is your amp set on low pass or high pass?
4.)Do you have an external remote for your Gain to the amp?

If the gain or bass booster is turned up too much and your battery cant handle it then you will only hear frequencies from your subwoofer than your battery can handle. I had a problem with this, I installed a $15 capacitor and problem solved.
I had too much running off the battery, Radar detector, gps, phone charger, sub amp, speaker amp. It just couldnt keep up so if it worked it would sound sh!tty at best.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TestMonkey,Jan 13 2011, 02:44 PM
Oh, Yeah thats definately not a fuse. Make sure the inside of the box is clean. The magnet on the sub might react to medal shavings and such if there are any in there. I bet it just blew, Its hard to get the right amount of power to the sub with different brand amps than subs, they seem to be rated differently. Too much power = blown sub, too liitle power = blown sub.

1.)How many Watts is your subwoofer RMS and is it 2 or 4 Ohms?
2.)How many Watts is your amplifier RMS and is it 2 or 4 Ohms? Bridged and not bridged.
3.)is your amp set on low pass or high pass?
4.)Do you have an external remote for your Gain to the amp?

If the gain or bass booster is turned up too much and your battery cant handle it then you will only hear frequencies from your subwoofer than your battery can handle. I had a problem with this, I installed a $15 capacitor and problem solved.
I had too much running off the battery, Radar detector, gps, phone charger, sub amp, speaker amp. It just couldnt keep up so if it worked it would sound sh!tty at best.
Too little power will never blow a sub.

FFS, people.

As I posted already, the coil is shot. It will work intermittently for the next while until it finally goes kaput. It's not good on the amp to keep running it, but wtf-ever. No one in here ever listens to the guys that actually know what the **** they're talking about.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Jan 13 2011, 01:47 PM
Too little power will never blow a sub.

FFS, people.

No one in here ever listens to the guys that actually know what the **** they're talking about.
Perhaps you are the one who is incorrect. You should take your own advice and re-read what I added when I edited my post. I knew some "know it all" would respond with an ignorant comment concerning under powering a subwoofer. I didnt even have time to edit my post before "that guy" responded with the statement that under powering would "NEVER" blow the sub. I guess ignorance really is bliss. You are correct in the fact that under powering the sub will not DIRECTLY blow the sub. But thats not the only factor that you should be concerned with. There are many other things that come in to play when under powering, e.g. gain, bass boost, bridging, Ohms, capacitor.
So your statement above is invalid, maybe you should stop using google as your end all be all.

Im not trying to start shit, just pointing out your ignorance.
Thanks.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Well sub is still working fine. For some reason my speakers are now changing volume and less to one and then switching etc. I checked all the connections to the amp and all seem good. 1 minute the left speaker has most of the volume, then both and full sound, then both and quieter and so on.
Not really sure why. Could it be any setting I messed with on the amp that would cause something like that?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Moddiction,Jan 13 2011, 02:51 PM
Well sub is still working fine. For some reason my speakers are now changing volume and less to one and then switching etc. I checked all the connections to the amp and all seem good. 1 minute the left speaker has most of the volume, then both and full sound, then both and quieter and so on.
Not really sure why. Could it be any setting I messed with on the amp that would cause something like that?
Yeah thats a very good possibility that the Amp is whats causing the sporatic sound. I know you checked all the connections but check the grounds as well. If they arnt completetly, or properly ground then it can cause the spratic sound loss.
Check all your fuses on the amp to make sure none are blown. Make sure its not too hot, keep it well ventilated. Open your sub box and make sure the two wires are fully connected to the back of the sub, that connects to the positive and negative wires DIRECTLY to the sub. Also when its open check the connections of the "fire wall" of the sub box, where the subwoofer connects to the exterior of the box.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TestMonkey,Jan 13 2011, 03:47 PM
Perhaps you are the one who is incorrect. You should take your own advice and re-read what I added when I edited my post. I knew some "know it all" would respond with an ignorant comment concerning under powering a subwoofer. I didnt even have time to edit my post before "that guy" responded with the statement that under powering would "NEVER" blow the sub. I guess ignorance really is bliss. You are correct in the fact that under powering the sub will not DIRECTLY blow the sub. But thats not the only factor that you should be concerned with. There are many other things that come in to play when under powering, e.g. gain, bass boost, bridging, Ohms, capacitor.
So your statement above is invalid, maybe you should stop using google as your end all be all.

Im not trying to start shit, just pointing out your ignorance.
Thanks.
Then it didn't blow from being underpowered, did it? It blew from a clipped signal from the amp, which resulted in overpowering the sub (that's what a clipped signal does, and why it's bad, mmkay).

It didn't happen because of too little power. In that case, it happened because of a bad signal. Minute difference, perhaps. But a difference that needs to be explained to people (apparently) so they make better informed buying and tuning decisions.

That aside, I'm thinking I have a batter background in electronics than you do. Maybe that's just me. Want to call me "That Guy", I'm okay with that - because at least I know what the hell I'm talking about

Whatever.

Point is that the OP needs to replace his subwoofer because it has a blown voice coil. How do I know this? Because I have something like 3 or 4 subwoofers with blown voice coils sitting around my house (how did they blow? they were overpowered - go figure), and that's not even half the subwoofers I've managed to blow over the past however many years. I know exactly the symptoms the OP speaks of, and I know what causes those symptoms - a blown ****** voice coil.

Ryan: Man, you know me. You know I know what I'm talking about here. Your sub is gone. It's possible it's causing issues with your amp, it could be that the amp itself is going as well. IMO, you need to replace that sub ASAP.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Former Sponsor

^Could it not be that something was loose with the sub though? Think everything was tight but when I pulled it just plugged it back in after a while and worked perfect. Sub still does but now speakers are being wacky!

Quick Reply: Think my sub died. Buzzed then hasn't worked since