S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Electronics (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/)
-   -   What should Pinky do?! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/what-should-pinky-do-17816/)

Pinky 06-12-2001 10:47 AM

Please be gentile! :)

S2R 06-12-2001 11:02 AM

Keep posting man. You have a lot of useful info to give. As far as you and Mac diagreeing about that one particular topic, just do the experiment with him. I'm curious to see what would happen as well.

bentrim 06-12-2001 11:20 AM

Keep on posting. Useful or not I have gotten a lot of information concerning the PAC out of your posts.... more than people have gotten out of mine Im sure.

LATEOTT 06-12-2001 11:29 AM

I'll try to be my most "gentile"...

Please don't overstate your knowledge. Please carefully read and understand a post before you respond, and then respond to the parts you understand. Please don't provide misinformation just so you can say something. Please learn to say, "Yes, I was wrong." It's okay, really.

I think you really know some things about auto sound systems. It's just that those things tend to get overshadowed by the things you don't know but pretend to know.

It reminds me of the ongoing argument I used to have with an "audiophile" friend who is really good at restating things he has heard from others and a sucker for good marketing, but not good at understanding. He is so certain that a reel-to-reel tape has higher sound quality than DDD CD audio. He is also an auto expert because he worked in the auto industry (sweeper, oil changer, Grand Auto) for, like, almost ten years. Yeah, like I really should put Slick-50 in my car. He can really talk the talk, but he doesn't really know what he is talking about. He is now in a completely different line of work and doing well, but still considers himself an expert in those other fields. Needless to say, most of his advice is unheeded. After a while I just smile and shrug.

DAMB, you know, real experts don't say, "I am an expert." They, well, just kind of ARE experts...

MacGyver 06-12-2001 11:50 AM

For Pete's sake, continue to post, Pinky! That's my vote, at least...

Don't take my disagreements with you as a reason to stop posting. You DO have a lot of good info to give everyone here, and everyone disagrees at one point or another. There are plenty of audio subjects I'm more than willing to admit you know significantly more than me.

All I'm saying is, there are certain issues that are better attacked by people more qualified than yourself, such as the distortion issue. You do not have the training necessary to fully understand what distortion is, nor what it can and cannot do, yet you continue to make VERY bold statements...statements that sound like you've listened to too many marketing people and not enough application engineers.

You have suggested locking some of the other posts, but I would seriously recommend against that. This isn't an issue of "silver is better than red", or "You're an f'ing a'hole because you believe differently than me"...these threads haven't turned into personal attacks, and that's the only reason I think a thread should be locked. If you start locking threads because people disagree with you, I WILL ask that you be removed as moderator...that is petty, immature, and unacceptable...but I don't think you'll do that.

Pinky 06-12-2001 12:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]For Pete's sake, continue to post, Pinky!

WestSideBilly 06-12-2001 02:40 PM

Perhaps some of the problem lies in you being a moderator - people may wonder if the advice is from pinky the moderator or if the advice is from pinky the guy who has installed lots and lots of car stereos. People may take what you say as fact - if you're the moderator of the electronics forum, you MUST know what you're talking about, right?

Your best bet (as someone said) might be to start off posts by saying "I've installed 20 systems similar to this one, and the result was always <xxx>" or something to that effect. Your knowledge is helpful, don't stop posting altogether.

My 2 cents.

Strike 06-12-2001 03:31 PM

Pinky,

You should definitely continue to post. You have much to offer. Ditto to what others have said about knowing your limitations.

MacGyver 06-12-2001 04:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]As far as distortion goes.....I see real world applications of distortion.....example.

elviscos 06-12-2001 07:24 PM

Certainly both distortion and excess power play a role here. Speakers can surely handle the "cleaner" power better without distortion. But where is distortion from? I suppose distortion can come from the audio signal being amplified. I remember learning that speakers can be damaged by clipping. What is clipping? I think it has to do with the sound waves being effected by too much power.