S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Will the Honda security system fit RHD cars?cars?

Old 11-15-2002, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the Honda security system fit RHD cars?cars?

Can any North American S2000 owners tell me if the Honda OEM Security System and Hood Switch (sold as an option in the USA on LHD cars, but not sold here in Hong Kong or any other countries who have Right Hand Drive cars), will probably also fit on our RHD cars? I have a late 99 S2000 that was targeted by some pretty serious criminals who tried to steal it (drilled out both door locks, destroyed the steering lock, but didnt overcome the immobilizer), so I want to step up the protection a bit. I know other s2ki threads say the Alpine, Clifford systems etc are better, but I like the idea of a simple OEM Honda security system that provides an additional basic level of protection without screwing around with the wiring etc. I have downloaded the installation instructions from Handa-accessories.com but would appreciate advice from anyone who has installed the security system as to whether they think it could just a easily be installed on a RHD car as well - or is it a totally unique LHD-only system?? Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2002, 09:58 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, the wiring harness they provide is pre-made, so the distances between all of the parts you connect to is relatively fixed by the length of wire between the sockets. You'll need to determine if the placements of those sockets in the RHD car is the same as in the LHD car. If so, shouldn't be a problem.

Look for these things: One of connectors is to a lighting socket, which is tucked up in the steering column. So, let's use that as your baseline reference point. Next you need to find the keyless entry module. It should be way up high behind the dash, on the drivers side between the steering column and the door. The third socket is one of the many behind the driver's kick panel (at least on the LHD car). Pull off the panel in your RHD, if you see 4-5 socket connectors, you're probably OK. If any of these things are on the left side of the car, you've got problems.

Also, the bracket that holds the unit is made to mount under the driver's seat. I don't know if the holes are pre-punched in all seat frames or not. May want to check that out as well. It's probably not critical, as it could probably be affixed in any number of ways.

If you're so inclined, any of the obstacles can be fixed by splicing additional wire lengths into the harness at any point where you need to relocate a socket to a different location in the car.

My 2