S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

YADMST (Yet Another Design My System Thread)

Old 01-03-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I finally got around to ordering the PPI 356CS, and it seems the supply has dried up. I saw a couple of sets from Sonix going for $20-30 _more_ than they were asking so I waited (and then Christmas/etc., was here so I was sort of out of the loop).

Now nobody seems to have these (other than a few online retailers asking double the price they were 4 weeks ago).

Are these still being made?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/hot-de...ust-buy-34.html

Looks like they're out there but are closer to $200.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 PM

Thanks! That's a helpful link/thread, and it confirms the channel has dried up for them. I wonder if the supplier just got overwhelmed and we'll see them readily available and cheaper again [?]

I'm kind of in the same frame of mind as one poster who said, for $130, they're a fantastic bargain, but push $200 and I'll start considering other options.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by berlinas2k2,Dec 10 2009, 11:12 AM
Haha. Well either way, my 2 8's sound pretty good inside the car.
Will the "sealed" enclosure actually be sealed this time?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:48 AM

I talked to a supplier who seems to think they're no longer being manufactured. I guess if I stumble on a set for < $140 to my door I'll still consider these, otherwise I'll be cross shopping for something else.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM

OK, found a couple of sources for the PPI, but the price is getting up there.

If I put a max budget of $200 on some components, what kind of choices do I have?

I seeing plenty of good feedback on CDT, and the Classics CL-62 is within my budget figure. I guess the Classics are CDT's entry level?

I really regret when I recently had out my seats, and convertible deck (to replace my secret compartment), that I didn't go ahead and run some wire. Guess I'll be pulling all that _back_ out.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 AM

OK, I'm going to get the install stuff, figured I could go ahead and get some of the wiring out of the way.

Based on this link http://www.knukonceptz.com from another thread, I found this all-in-one install kit:

Kolossus Fleks 4 Gauge 4 Channel Amplifier Installation Kit

[Knukonceptz Item #KFX-AK44]

Kolossus Fleks 4 Gauge 4 Channel Amplifier Installation Kit with Red / Smoke Power wire. New Product for 2008 - Karma RCA & Speaker Wire now included. Kit Includes:

18 Feet 4 Gauge Red Kolossus Fleks Power Wire

3 Feet 4 Gauge Smoke Kolossus Fleks Ground Wire

One Waterproof Mini-ANL Fuse Holder with 120A Fuse

One 6 Meter 4 Channel Karma SS RCA Cable

20 Feet Karma SS 12 Gauge Speaker Wire

2 Gold Plated 4 Gauge Ring Terminals, 2 Gold Plated 4 Gauge Spade Terminals

6 feet Split Loom, Remote Wire, and wire ties
I'm assuming 4ga power/ground and 12ga speaker is more than plenty for my single amp (100x4 channel) install. That kit is $58.

This kit, is $42 and seems just about the same (probably some "grade" difference in the speaker wire or something:

Complete 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit
[Knukonceptz Item #KOL-AK4]
Complete 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit with Blue / Black Power wire. 120A Mini-ANL Fuse and Holder now included. Kit Includes:

18 Feet 4 Gauge Blue Kolossus Fleks Power Wire

3 Feet 4 Gauge Black Kolossus Fleks Ground Wire

One Waterproof Mini-ANL Fuse Holder with 120A Fuse

One 5 Meter Klarity Kable Blue OFC RCA Cable with Built in Turn On lead

20 Feet BLUE Klear Kable OFC 12 Gauge Speaker Wire

2 Gold Plated 4 Gauge Ring Terminals, 2 Gold Plated 4 Gauge Spade Terminals

6 feet Split Loom and wire ties

All these items are prepacked inside this box
The downside being it's out of stock from them directly (I can probably find it somewhere else).

The thing I noted on the 2nd/cheaper kit is it specifically indicated a "Built in Turn On lead" bundled into the RCA set. I didn't see that in the top kit (using the Karma SS RCA cables), but I'm assuming that's the Remote Wire (listed with the split loom and wire tires). Just didn't want to miss anything.

I also wanted to ask about Sundown amps vs. Alpine PDX. The former seems to be a little more boutique brand and more respected in the audio community, but is there a real performance difference?

I also did some more component research and found these:

DLS R6A (2.1" mounting depth)
Hertz HSK 165 (2.5" MD)
Morel Tempo 6 (2.5" MD)

Particularly the DLS and Hertz from a price and performance standpoint. Any thoughts?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the turn on and remote wires are identical.

sundown vs pdx -- you should look at class a/b vs class d, as that's what you're getting. also, the pdx series are going to be replaced with a next gen very soon. as a rule, the class d amps (pdx) are not as clean but are much smaller and more efficient (less current, heat). practically, this means that if you get a pdx 100.4 you can put it on the gas tank, but if you get the sax-100.4 you'll be putting it somewhere in the trunk or spare tire well. and whether or not you can hear the difference is for you to decide. also, the class a/bs are heavier as they are larger. i went with the sax-100.4, but i was seriously considering the pdx. i love the sound of the sundown, but i've never heard the pdx so i can't compare the two.

if you're looking at the pdx and decide class d might be what you want, you may also want to look into the jl 900/5 and alpine's similar all-in-one amps. that one, while expensive, is 100wrms x 4 + 500wrms x 1, so it would power a 2-way active front stage plus a sub if that's your goal. it just seems easier to have one amp for everything, JMO.

i don't know much about those speaker sets, but they all are sets people at DIYMA mention as good options, so you'll probably be safe with whichever of the three you choose as long as it's a decent fit for your listening style.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks. You and a couple of other folks on this area have been super helpful!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Continuing with what Ace was saying in his last post...

I really REALLY recommend going with an A/B amp. The only benefit to the class D is a smaller footprint - but class A/B will stomp a class D when it comes to sound quality.

And while your average Alpine/JL/MB Quart speakers might not notice the difference, when (if) you get into higher quality (more accurate) speakers, you'll find it does indeed make a difference.

Quick Reply: YADMST (Yet Another Design My System Thread)