S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Another AP1Chief E-tune Review

Old 04-30-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another AP1Chief E-tune Review

So a little background on my vehicle. Turbo'd AP1 tuned by one of the great local tuners in my area. Due to unfortunate events, he can no longer tune pre-OEM flashable s2000s so that leaves a giant hole in s2000s for my area.

Over the winter, I had my head rebuilt due to worn guides + bent valves. The second I turned her on, she sounded different. I figured a minor retune might be in order. With no real place to go anymore (except driving hours away) and what I think is a relatively minor retune, I figured I would give one of the E-tuners a try.

I did a little searching here on the forums and decided to give Josh (AP1Chief) a try and I'm glad I did. From the beginning he went over my entire Cal and logs without even asking for a dime. He let me know what he thought of the tune and even admitted everything pretty much was perfect - none of the sky is falling BS that a lot of shops might push. He did say I was running just a hair lean up top - within 2 revisions of my cal file, my baby is running happy as a clam. Rates are extremely reasonable! I actually felt guilty and doubled his rate just because I know what a retune / tune costs from a shop vs what he's charging to basically do the same thing!

Do not hesitate, give josh a try if you want to go the E-tune route - I highly recommend it!
The following 3 users liked this post by Spec_Ops2087:
AP1Chief (04-30-2018), Pinky (05-01-2018), trackHERO (07-19-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087
So a little background on my vehicle. Turbo'd AP1 tuned by one of the great local tuners in my area. Due to unfortunate events, he can no longer tune pre-OEM flashable s2000s so that leaves a giant hole in s2000s for my area.

Over the winter, I had my head rebuilt due to worn guides + bent valves. The second I turned her on, she sounded different. I figured a minor retune might be in order. With no real place to go anymore (except driving hours away) and what I think is a relatively minor retune, I figured I would give one of the E-tuners a try.

I did a little searching here on the forums and decided to give Josh (AP1Chief) a try and I'm glad I did. From the beginning he went over my entire Cal and logs without even asking for a dime. He let me know what he thought of the tune and even admitted everything pretty much was perfect - none of the sky is falling BS that a lot of shops might push. He did say I was running just a hair lean up top - within 2 revisions of my cal file, my baby is running happy as a clam. Rates are extremely reasonable! I actually felt guilty and doubled his rate just because I know what a retune / tune costs from a shop vs what he's charging to basically do the same thing!

Do not hesitate, give josh a try if you want to go the E-tune route - I highly recommend it!
thanks again for being a outstanding customer!!!

LMK if you ever need anything else tune related
Old 04-30-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm confused here. I thought the only options were a KPro on an RSX ECU or a piggyback (e.g. Greddy eManage Ultimate, MapECU3, etc.) with the existing ECU. I didn't think it was possible to modify the existing ECU and there are long threads here that state that.

Here in NJ, we need to do an ODBII inspection on 1996+ cars. That blocks an ECU replacement.

How does what is being discussed here work?
Old 05-01-2018, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
I'm confused here. I thought the only options were a KPro on an RSX ECU or a piggyback (e.g. Greddy eManage Ultimate, MapECU3, etc.) with the existing ECU. I didn't think it was possible to modify the existing ECU and there are long threads here that state that.

Here in NJ, we need to do an ODBII inspection on 1996+ cars. That blocks an ECU replacement.

How does what is being discussed here work?
You can do E-tunes for any tunable ECU. Pre-2006 s2000 ecu's cannot be flashed so if you're in that range, you need an aftermarket ecu. I run the AEM EMS v1.

As for inspection, in an hour, I can swap out my injectors / MAP sensor / ECU to be OBD2 compliant. It's not hard
Old 05-01-2018, 11:16 AM

The Op had an AP1. Was his a swap to a standalone ECU or a piggyback ECU (e.g. Greddy e-Manage, MapECU3, etc.)?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087
I run the AEM EMS v1.
Seems you already got an answer for your question David.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
Seems you already got an answer for your question David.
Reading the first posts it sounded as if there was another way. Pre-1996 you can do anything. Post-1996 you need that ODBII.

One thing that looks really interesting in some of the standalone ECUs is traction control by yaw rate. Syvecs says that is their preferred way for road racing. AEM has a not too expensive CAN sensor that includes yaw, g-forces, and GPS.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:53 PM

Just a bump up, I've sent Josh a few more logs with me driving around, stop and go traffic, etc and everything is looking great. Car feels that much stronger but just doing a little fuel tweaking here and there.

Point of the post is that, with josh, you're a life customer. It's not a 1 and done but rather a commitment from him to you. He'll keep working with you and that says something.
The following users liked this post:
AP1Chief (05-21-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 10:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I gave AP1Chief a shot and payed him to setup my boost comp map. he went above and beyond and really got it going solid I got way more then what I payed for. He definitely knows what he is doing and im going to have him help me in the future.
The following users liked this post:
AP1Chief (05-30-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 07:36 AM

Adding another update.

I bit the bullet and went for a full tune by Josh. The revisions were working but it was a bandaid fix for what I thought was a great tune. The whole process was pretty cool. You load up remote access software onto your laptop and then use your cellphone as a hotspot. Josh can then tune your car directly while you are driving around. It's easy and it works. Doing a little comparison between my old map and new map, as a non-tuner, I can physically SEE the difference in the tables. Everything is smooth, nothing jagged and that all translates into a very smooth drive. Vtec kicks in great and I get smooth hp and torque all the way to redline.

All good things. Highly recommended.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spec_Ops2087:
AP1Chief (06-06-2018), freq (06-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Another AP1Chief E-tune Review