S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Anyone run o2 feedback under boost. AEM series 2

Old 06-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone run o2 feedback under boost. AEM series 2

running a AEM series 2. Does anyone run o2 feedback under boost as well? Can it perform similar to the new infinity ?
Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 AM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

Its no where near as fast... and with a good tuner, you wont run it during WOT.

LMK if you need a tune ;D
Old 06-21-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I run O2 feedback whilst in boost on my supercharged car. It does a very good job of keeping the AFR in a smooth line. The key thing with it is if you use it in boost then you want to keep the percentage adjustment to small values. You dont want the O2 sensor going wrong and then having the ecu pull out 20% of your fuel because you have given it that range of adjustment. With supercharged applications the boost in linear so alot easier for it to control than say a turbocharged car where the spool is so quick that it would struggle to keep up.

Alot of people frown upon the AEM V2 autotune function but i have found it works pretty well during road tuning. I think my PLX has a response time of 40ms which has been more than accurate enough for me to set my car up. Lots of ECU's have this function now. Megasquirt has an excellent function that allows you to apply the O2 feedback adjustments to the map afterwards. A great way for you to double check that what it was doing was correct in the first place. O2 feedback will struggle with vtec cross over because its quick and thats something you normally have to trim yourself.

My method was to make the map overly rich and then get the autotune to trim it back to the values i wanted. Obviously you need to keep an eye on your knock voltages as well but after a while you will begin to learn how the engine responds. I have been doing this for nearly 3 years on my AEM now and i know the ecu software like the back of my hand. Obviously its not as good as the infinity but its still a very capable bit of kit
Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markforrester99
I run O2 feedback whilst in boost on my supercharged car. It does a very good job of keeping the AFR in a smooth line. The key thing with it is if you use it in boost then you want to keep the percentage adjustment to small values. You dont want the O2 sensor going wrong and then having the ecu pull out 20% of your fuel because you have given it that range of adjustment. With supercharged applications the boost in linear so alot easier for it to control than say a turbocharged car where the spool is so quick that it would struggle to keep up.

Alot of people frown upon the AEM V2 autotune function but i have found it works pretty well during road tuning. I think my PLX has a response time of 40ms which has been more than accurate enough for me to set my car up. Lots of ECU's have this function now. Megasquirt has an excellent function that allows you to apply the O2 feedback adjustments to the map afterwards. A great way for you to double check that what it was doing was correct in the first place. O2 feedback will struggle with vtec cross over because its quick and thats something you normally have to trim yourself.

My method was to make the map overly rich and then get the autotune to trim it back to the values i wanted. Obviously you need to keep an eye on your knock voltages as well but after a while you will begin to learn how the engine responds. I have been doing this for nearly 3 years on my AEM now and i know the ecu software like the back of my hand. Obviously its not as good as the infinity but its still a very capable bit of kit

Can you post a screenshot of your settings so i can have an example? Im just starting with the stock settings and haven't had time to start adjusting gain etc.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I wouldn't feel comfortable posting the settings as its not a case of just set it and let the ecu get on with it.You need to know exactly what you are getting into. A simple example is that if you dont calibrate your individual O2 sensor to match the AEM EMS you will end up with the ecu getting the wrong value which means every part of your map will be wrong.

The best way i learned how it all worked was to pay AJ tuning to remotely tune my car. When it was NA this is how i had it tuned and then when i came to supercharge it i used the gained knowledge and the additional research i done. The AEM vast manual is full of information about pretty much each setting and is well worth reading the relevant sections.