S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Engine Management (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-engine-management-231/)
-   -   AP1 engine management in NC (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-engine-management-231/ap1-engine-management-nc-1157071/)

EvilVtec 07-14-2016 05:43 PM

AP1 engine management in NC

I have been searching the forums for several weeks without finding what I need, so I figured I would start a topic. I live in North Carolina in a county that does have emissions checking inspections. I have a 2002 AP1 and I'm entertaining any ideas of making it faster. To my understanding, my situation with inspections rules out use of or any of the standalone ecu systems as that the OBDII functionality would be gone. My alternative is a piggyback system, such as the Greddy e-Manage, which I also understand will retain the OBDII functions, but will not give me as precise control as a standalone. Considering that I am probably going to go with a moderate turbo setup (cast manifold with gt3071r, approximately 600cc injectors and FMIC) will the Greddy e-Manage give me the control that I need? If anyone can direct me to someone with a similar setup that would be great...

Chitoki 07-14-2016 06:32 PM

Kpro4, it passes even in Kommy Kali

EvilVtec 07-15-2016 06:37 PM

I have read on the Hondata Kpro equipment and realize that while it may be the best, it is extremely expensive. If am not wanting to make big power numbers, is it really worth while to get into, or will a EMU do what I need?

truancy143 07-15-2016 08:14 PM

I have a Greddy emanage blue FS if interested...

flanders 07-16-2016 01:51 AM

GEMU does everything you need, it might be problematic finding someone that could tune it for you though.
Kpro is a big investment but so much easier and better to work with, I had GEMU at first but now upgraded to kpro and got no regrets.
Just stay away from the Blue version, sorry truancy :)

Chitoki 07-16-2016 01:07 PM

I saw a post in FS, a guy is selling a kpro 4 for 1400, pretty good deal.

EvilVtec 07-17-2016 05:55 PM

Does the KPro allow the user to change the VIN in the ECU memory? I'm pretty sure the inspections here in NC check the VIN when the OBDII port is scanned for emissions codes.

s2000Junky 07-17-2016 11:08 PM

The kpro is an RSX ecu. Ive never run one, but have consistently heard that your car will come up as an RSX during emissions testing. Whether thats a problem or not, depends on the tester. I think people have generally had fine results with this, with maybe a scratch of the head at worst. If it passes it passes. Remember, these emissions testers make about $12 an hour, its not really in their best interest to create more work for themselves if they dont have to. But thats the only argument I got on it. Like I said, ive never gone through the process myself, just what ive heard. Ive run E manage ult with overall favorable results on a 450whp supercharged set up, but ironically I wouldn't rely on one with a turbo set up. The boost curves are just too hard to map out and work with on top of the factory timing curve to be reliable long term I feel. Supercharger no problem. Id say if you were doing a supercharger, just to run a less expensive AEM unit, and then when time to take emissions, just swap back in the stock ecu and injectors and go pass the test with no more then 20min of work. But you cant do that this easy with a turbo, since your still stuck with a running snail and supporting manifold you cant simply bypass.

flanders 07-18-2016 01:21 AM

You can change your VIN number in the kpro calibration but I'm not sure if this really is the same VIN that gets reported over OBD though.
We got very strict annual inspections here in Sweden and last time I went (first with kpro) there were no problems.

whatlag 07-21-2016 04:20 PM

or the discontinued hks vpro